Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 08:59 AM

26 posts, read 208,299 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I’ve been thinking about moving to Colorado for some time now for various reasons but there is one major concern I have, my love for the Ocean. So I am asking, did anyone else have to go through this? Any people that love the ocean, going to the beach new to Colorado and if so how are you doing being so far from the ocean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 09:32 AM

260 posts, read 1,434,545 times
My wife misses her Florida gulf coast beaches a lot. She copes by buying everything she can with a palm tree on it and maintains a beach themed guest room and a tropical themed bathroom. If you thrive on the heat, then Colorado may not be for you. If your OK breaking out some sweatshirts and/or a jacket -- you'll be fine. The lack of water in Colorado is sometimes an issue from some. The lakes here are tiny and the beaches are all artifical and pretty lame. That said, I'm good with it -- its normal to me.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:42 AM

638 posts, read 2,274,952 times
Default You will miss it.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite View Post
Hello everyone, I’ve been thinking about moving to Colorado for some time now for various reasons but there is one major concern I have, my love for the Ocean. So I am asking, did anyone else have to go through this? Any people that love the ocean, going to the beach new to Colorado and if so how are you doing being so far from the ocean?
I just got back from Cancun and was shocked at how much the ocean stirred me. I spent my summers as a child in Redondo and Hermosa Beaches, and didn't even realize how much I missed it until the last two vacations (one to FL also). You can always take vacations to beach places but I don't know if that's enough. Also, if you live someplace like CA or FL you get spoiled by the consistently warm weather, whereas here you get several months of cold. Maybe if you take up skiing you will become one of the converts.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:47 AM

106 posts, read 430,548 times
Same thing, my wife really misses her California beaches. While I love the ocean, I hate most beaches so I'm all happy with it here.

The thing I miss most about the ocean is the seafood. We are a bit lacking in that department here.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:14 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,008,849 times
Goodness, yes! I think we drove out to Bodega Bay a couple of times a month. At this point, the only thing keeping me going is my dream of a retirement cottage in Sea Ranch (http://www.redwoodcoastchamber.com/the_Sea_Ranch.htm - broken link)! We don't need much: a couple of comfortable chairs, a bookcase, & that gorgeous view!

Old 10-31-2007, 10:15 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,918,025 times
Well, not an ocean, but I sure do miss Lake Michigan -- jet skiing, boating, swimming, and beaching it in Pentwater, Michigan!! Glad I am a teacher so I can go back and enjoy for a few weeks in the summer

Old 10-31-2007, 10:41 AM

676 posts, read 2,787,622 times
God Yes! there is just something about looking over the ocean at sunset or just in general that really gives me a calm feeling.. I have yet to experience anything like that here. I suppose its cause the ocean is involves every sense of your body, sight, sound, smell, touch stuff like that.... I wanna go on vacation....

Old 10-31-2007, 10:54 AM

11,812 posts, read 34,265,174 times
I signed up on every email airline list - for last minute flyaway deals. I got back two weeks ago from an island - $779 per person for 10 days - all inclusive.

We have a few lakes you should get to know.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:43 PM

676 posts, read 2,787,622 times
Wow that sounds awesome! Where did you go if you don't mind me asking

Old 10-31-2007, 01:09 PM

11 posts, read 63,871 times
Default Sure, but can you afford to live there?

I'm in the Chicago burbs, say 20 miles from Lake Michigan, 20 miles from the Chain O' Lakes, but never get to either. Why? There's approx. 9 million people in the metro Chicago area. It's too crowded and congested to make it a regular occurance. Forget living on or near, unless you're upper class. So the question is, could you afford it, and would that be a net positive from where you are now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: