Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 02:53 PM

166 posts, read 321,242 times

Advertisements

Really having a heard time finding the info.

Even tried some chambers, but its more like i am getting opinion more than anything.

Out of the tourist towns, Breck, Vail, Aspen, Steamboat, Etc...which ones haven the largest year round tourist base?

I am a Fly-fishing guide and bartender. I will be moving within the next few months and really wanted to narrow it down some more. I am leaning toward Breck..Not 100% sure.

Thanks for your help.

Tj
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 04:08 PM

3,604 posts, read 9,041,321 times
Breck and Vail are larger resorts with more tourists. Aspen and Steamboat as well as Crested Butte and Telluride are smaller and harder to get to, which can mean less tourists, not necessarily less money.

Breck is a great town, check the local paper and craigslist for the high rockies to see about job opportunities and rentals and see if the numbers work for you. You can also look at the employment page for Vail Resorts, free ski pass as a job perk.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:36 PM

Dogmama50,

Thank you,

Like what i see from Crested Butte, But,..the town SEEMS just to small.

Breck, seems to be the right fit....The Bartending will be seasonal though...from what i can tell. Shouldnt be to hard. I have 4 years experience in high volume 4star resort properties. With the fly-fishing....i will need to spend some time on area streams. I am independent...I carry my own lisc and insurance. That should be year round!!

From what i am finding rent isnt that bad...Furnished studio's from 900-1200....all inclusive. Not bad for being in town.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:10 PM

463 posts, read 1,171,562 times
Since your clients will probably be destination fishers, I would stay close to the I-70 corridor and as close to DIA as possible so my choice would be Breck. Get to know the rivers that you'll be guiding as your clients will expect you to know the best lies. The outfitters occasionally advertise in local papers for guides. If you are going to be an independent contractor, make sure you have your special permits from the BLM for conducting business on public lands. Good luck. Lots of great fishing up here.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:33 PM

Lugnuts...Yes..Thank you. Great advise.

I am already lisc through the NPS in the Smoky Mountains. I already working on the proper permits for the area.

I am going to take roughly 100 days to learn the water before offering any trips. No where near the 800+ days i have in the Appalachians....Luckily, I have clients waiting on me to give them the ok to book.

I cant wait. Beautiful water, big fish, pretty much year round.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:10 PM

Don't forget the reservoirs. We had a very snowy April so they are not draining Antero and there are some real hogs in there. Good wiper fishing on the front range too and we even have muskies in Clear creek. This guy even fly fishes for carp:

Antero Reservoir fishing

Old 05-03-2013, 06:20 PM

Carp on a fly...gotta love it.

Going to be interesting to see what the runoff is going to do. I am sure the last 3 weeks helped.

Currently in the Tampa area doing some testing for a new rod company. Waiting for the dock lights to come on now.....

Old 05-03-2013, 06:46 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,673,703 times
I can't help but think SW Colorado as a option for you. Telluride and Durango might be a really good option too. Yes, they are smaller, but fishing is really great in that part of the state and so much less pressure from others. Crested Butte might still be viable, as Gunnison is nearby and well known for fishing and hunting. People book trips from all over the country to Gunnison Co. for that. If I were you, I'd check out all the various resort towns in Colorado first before committing to one for your business. Once you learn the waters and where the best fishing is, you can determine the best location for your business.

I would think you'll need to get permits from the Colorado Division of Wildlife rather than the BLM, but it will depend on what rivers you will be guiding.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I can't help but think SW Colorado as a option for you. Telluride and Durango might be a really good option too. Yes, they are smaller, but fishing is really great in that part of the state and so much less pressure from others. Crested Butte might still be viable, as Gunnison is nearby and well known for fishing and hunting. People book trips from all over the country to Gunnison Co. for that. If I were you, I'd check out all the various resort towns in Colorado first before committing to one for your business. Once you learn the waters and where the best fishing is, you can determine the best location for your business.

I would think you'll need to get permits from the Colorado Division of Wildlife rather than the BLM, but it will depend on what rivers you will be guiding.
I would argue that clients want to be on the water. If they have a week off for fishing in CO, they probably don't want to waste 2 days (there and back) travelling to Durango. That's assuming that they are destination fishers flying in from back east. There sure is good fishing down there-I hooked into some very nice trout on the Florida. If you are just looking at volume of visits, proximity to DIA becomes important.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:23 PM

83 posts, read 150,026 times
If you don't know the area why would clients be waiting to book?? Why not just come fish - it isn't that difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado