Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 02:26 PM

2 posts, read 5,123 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping to move to CO in a year or two, and thank goodness for this thread! I was reading some others that got me a little freaked!!

I'm a registered democrat (I was registered independent, but wasn't able to vote in all elections) - and I don't vote the party line on anything, both parties are screwed up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 02:32 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
Quote:
here's what I found out about living in republican Highlands ranch and being a democrat: my daughter went trick or treating for UNICEF and managed to collect a whopping $3.00. this from very cute 3 year old who was dressed like a kitten with her face painted like a siamese cat, saying "trick or treat for Unicef!" the response most of the republican houses gave? "I don't have any change." Honestly, it was the saddest thing I've seen in a long time. if it weren't for my sis, who put in $1.75, and our liberal next door neighbor, it would have been even sadder. And she went out collecting door to door for one hour.
My thoughts upon reading your post is that it has little to do with politics and more to do with how financially overwhelmed many people are right now. Several of my neighbors have recently lost their homes to foreclosure, and two more are hanging on by a thread, using credit cards to cover the payday gap. They just don't have any "green" to give.

Of course, I could be wrong. After all, I assume all of your neighbors had candy to give away. So, on second thought, perhaps your neighbors are just jerks. Your poor little girl! I wish she'd come to my door. I would have melted completely.

Quote:
I'm hoping to move to CO in a year or two, and thank goodness for this thread! I was reading some others that got me a little freaked!!

I'm a registered democrat (I was registered independent, but wasn't able to vote in all elections) - and I don't vote the party line on anything, both parties are screwed up.
Feel free to move into my neighborhood. I could use a little company.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:21 PM

357 posts, read 1,286,574 times
yeah, I thought about this being a financial thing, until my husband, who went out with her, explained that the money she collected came from a total of three houses . Oh and each house here looks like a halloween store threw up on the lawn, so maybe they're broke cuz they spent all the money on halloween crap, lol.

seriously, for those who've seen the box, it's tiny, like 2 inches by 4 inches and it's for change. the goal is for folks to put in a few nickles or dimes, not big bucks. we keep a small bowl of change near the candy bowl.

dh was there to explain what unicef was , that it was "for immunization, clean water and food for poor children around the globe" in that quick sentence. I'm just thankful she's only three so she wasn't disappointed in the response from folks. by next year, she'll probably start to lecture them on their meanness, lol.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:32 PM

346 posts, read 1,566,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaCACO View Post
here's what I found out about living in republican Highlands ranch and being a democrat: my daughter went trick or treating for UNICEF and managed to collect a whopping $3.00. this from very cute 3 year old who was dressed like a kitten with her face painted like a siamese cat, saying "trick or treat for Unicef!" the response most of the republican houses gave? "I don't have any change." Honestly, it was the saddest thing I've seen in a long time. if it weren't for my sis, who put in $1.75, and our liberal next door neighbor, it would have been even sadder. And she went out collecting door to door for one hour.
I planned on leaving this thread well enough alone after my last post. BUT, this is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard--using your cute little three-year-old as a prop to collect money for UNICEF?! It was Halloween, for goodness' sake! And how is anyone to know that you yourself aren't pocketing the money? Sorry, but I have a bowl of CANDY available on Halloween, not money. I give to various charities, but it seems a bit odd to ask for something that most people would not be prepared to give on Halloween. Good grief!!! And I'm sure the ONLY reason I feel this way is because I'm Republican--yeah right!

Old 11-02-2007, 05:39 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebagirl View Post
I planned on leaving this thread well enough alone after my last post. BUT, this is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard--using your cute little three-year-old as a prop to collect money for UNICEF?! It was Halloween, for goodness' sake! And how is anyone to know that you yourself aren't pocketing the money? Sorry, but I have a bowl of CANDY available on Halloween, not money. I give to various charities, but it seems a bit odd to ask for something that most people would not be prepared to give on Halloween. Good grief!!! And I'm sure the ONLY reason I feel this way is because I'm Republican--yeah right!
Maybe it's not a Colorado thing? Growing up in Ohio, Halloween collections for Unicef and March of Dimes were well-publicized. My brother and I participated every year. I still give regularly to the March of Dimes, because my first child, who died nine years ago, had spina bifida. March of Dimes supports birth defect research.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:42 PM

1,872 posts, read 6,493,511 times
Yeah, Lisa, how dare you use your daughter as a "prop" to collect money "for immunization, clean water and food for poor children around the globe"? How devious of you! What are you teaching your daughter, to help others instead of getting candy for herself? How selfish of you!

Old 11-02-2007, 05:58 PM

346 posts, read 1,566,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Yeah, Lisa, how dare you use your daughter as a "prop" to collect money "for immunization, clean water and food for poor children around the globe"? How devious of you! What are you teaching your daughter, to help others instead of getting candy for herself? How selfish of you!

Oh, Good Lord. I'm done with this thread. Obviously no one here sees my point, so SEE YA!

Old 11-02-2007, 05:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Maybe it's not a Colorado thing? Growing up in Ohio, Halloween collections for Unicef and March of Dimes were well-publicized. My brother and I participated every year. I still give regularly to the March of Dimes, because my first child, who died nine years ago, had spina bifida. March of Dimes supports birth defect research.
In my part of Pennsylvania, near Pittsburgh, the Sunday before Halloween was 'Trick or Treat for UNICEF' day. Our youth group from church, a conservative Missouri-Synod Lutheran church, went out together. I remember a man asking me what UNICEF stood for, and I stammered through "United Nations" when he gave me some money. I think he just wanted to be sure he wasn't contributing to the "future pittnurse clothing fund".

Old 11-02-2007, 06:08 PM

638 posts, read 2,280,904 times
Actually I grew up in CO and never heard of collecting for Unicef on Halloweeen, so maybe they were just not sure what the drill was? But still, I doubt I could have resisted your little kitten at my door asking for Unicef money, especially when she was expected to ask for candy. That reminds me of the Friends episode when Rachel was pregnant and started writing out checks to the kids, but never mind that. Definitely nothing to do with city data.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:12 PM

1,872 posts, read 6,493,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebagirl View Post
Obviously no one here sees my point
You're right. Berating someone for having their child collect money for a charity instead of candy for themselves is a point I hope I am never able to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado