Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 08:37 AM

11 posts, read 45,244 times

Advertisements

What would you say the pros are to each of these cities? How about the cons?

I'd just like to hear various opinions and perspectives, no matter how random they may be.

Last edited by Marie_82; 09-22-2013 at 08:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 04:40 PM

1,976 posts, read 2,352,626 times
Boulder is health-oriented, a lot of great hiking trails, bike paths, etc. The cost of buying a house or condo is very high due to the growth restrictions. More snobs (fitness and income). Traffic congestion is a problem.

Denver has more culture and is more liberal. Cons would be Broncos-worship and rush hour.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:57 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default I would ask

What is important to YOU?
house price/rental price
politics
schools for children
restaurants
weed (or dope as I prefer to write because it drives the marijuana nutjobs crazy)
electricity provider
water provider
recycling/composting

Old 09-23-2013, 12:12 AM

11 posts, read 45,244 times
Well I know a decent amount about Denver, but not much about Boulder. I'm more interested in just random thoughts at this point. I'd like to hear what comes to other peoples' minds rather than me limiting myself to my own questions that may or may not be telling of these two cities.

The company I work for has a regional office in Boulder. I've been to Denver and enjoyed it. I like the health-conscious aspect of Boulder, but I'm not sure about the COL. We need decent public transportation and I have two kids - one very much into ballet and the other equally into jiu jitsu.

Seeing as how we've never seen much snow over our lifetimes, snow would be nice.

But really... just any thoughts on the way these two cities are currently would be much appreciated.

I've heard Boulder was more liberal (at least back in 2008 when I was there). Is that still the case?

Old 09-23-2013, 12:44 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,882,881 times
Boulder will always be the most liberal city in this part of the nation at least in our lifetimes. When something develops a reputation and an infrastructure based on being "extreme" there is no way it changes as it attracts like-minded people and generally repels or encourages those of opposing mindsets to leave.

To an outsider I will say this. Boulder generally works hard to perpetuate this sense these two cities are greatly separated and different, to the point where an outsider would think of it as Boulder or Denver. To most Denver people, Boulder is just a rich, interesting suburb where a lot of people want to send their kids to school.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:53 AM

529 posts, read 1,547,633 times
Denver is a bigger city with everything that a large city can offer, traffic is bad about half the day but is improving with all the new road construction. If you're a sports fan Denver is great, and the city offers a great mix of culture. It's only 10 miles from the foothills/mountains and excellent outdoor activities. There are many job opportunities and public transit is also great! Denver itself is more liberal than conservative but not as extreme as Boulder.

Boulder is a small city that is primarily driven by the University of Colorado and this is apparent. Although it is usually considered separate from the Denver metro area, you could also consider it a suburb of Denver and it really is just that. Boulder is right at the base of the foothills and right next door to great hiking and climbing literally right outside your front door. Boulder is VERY LIBERAL and it's hard to fit in if you're not extremely left wing IMHO.

Both cities have great weather, but Boulder is a little snowier than Denver. Overall you can live in either city and easily spend time in both.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:53 PM

1,976 posts, read 2,352,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie_82 View Post

I've heard Boulder was more liberal (at least back in 2008 when I was there). Is that still the case?
In the late '70's/1980's Boulder became 'yuppified' so it is more 'neoliberal' than anything else. Most jobs are non-union and the city went for Obama in 2008 and 2012. There are a lot of people like John Mackey (environmentally conscious and anti-labor/pro-wage slave).

Old 09-23-2013, 03:03 PM

18,012 posts, read 27,456,617 times
A pro for Denver and Boulder is that they each have their own subforum.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:34 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie_82 View Post
Well I know a decent amount about Denver, but not much about Boulder. I'm more interested in just random thoughts at this point. I'd like to hear what comes to other peoples' minds rather than me limiting myself to my own questions that may or may not be telling of these two cities.

The company I work for has a regional office in Boulder. I've been to Denver and enjoyed it. I like the health-conscious aspect of Boulder, but I'm not sure about the COL. We need decent public transportation and I have two kids - one very much into ballet and the other equally into jiu jitsu.

Seeing as how we've never seen much snow over our lifetimes, snow would be nice.

But really... just any thoughts on the way these two cities are currently would be much appreciated.

All the other differences do not matter if you have a difficult commute. Both Denver and Boulder offer good qualities of life.

If you are going to work at your company's regional office in Boulder, then I would live as close as possible. Living in Denver and commuting to Boulder from Denver can be difficult along I-36 which is not adequate for the demands of today. Of course, when it snows, commuting is much worse, even with public transit. The time saved by living there or close can better be spend in more quality pursuits for yourself with your children.

You mentioned you need decent public transportation. The whole area has excellent to good public transit in parts. You can easily live in the denser part of Boulder and not need a car as the needs of the university community and the extra investment of the city has created excellent public transit. It would all depend where that office is located.

Boulder is much more expensive than other areas. However, you can live close in Longmont, Broomfield or any of the other cities nearby as Lafayette or Louisville or even parts of Westminster--all excellent choices with good public transit to Boulder.

Living in Denver is only good for public transit with Buses that leave from Downtown Denver, along I-36.

Livecontent

Old 10-01-2013, 11:56 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,812,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
In the late '70's/1980's Boulder became 'yuppified' so it is more 'neoliberal' than anything else. Most jobs are non-union and the city went for Obama in 2008 and 2012. There are a lot of people like John Mackey (environmentally conscious and anti-labor/pro-wage slave).
Boulder's liberalism kicks Denver to the curb ( lived in both places and own property in both) Denver is way way more yuppie,
Boulder has become more hippiecrit, but far from conservative. As far as snobbery outside of Aspen certain hoods like Cherry HIlls and Cherry Creek have the lock on that with higher end incomes that make Boulder look broke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado