Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2013, 08:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,033 times

Advertisements

Hey my name is Jared and my wife's name is Eva, we currently live in West Texas(close to Big Spring, Midland/Odessa) around the oil boom and are thinking about moving. Eva is in college (Midland College), she is going for her nursing degree to become a RN and she has about 2 more years to go. I work for a guy that has a Cotton farm and also has a oilfield construction company. I currently make $18-$20 pr hr ( plus time and a half ) plus some perks that are nice but we are not very happy here, money isnt everything.

We are thinking about moving to Colorado after Eva is done college or if she can transfer and I can get a job then possibly sooner. We have both been multiple times and we loved the beautiful surroundings and landscape!

Here is our question, based on our facts/criteria/situation, which I will list below, what would be some good places/areas to check out on a little maybe 1 week trip?

If we move sooner then we need to be near a college Eva could transfer to, preferably no more than about an hour away some exceptions apply.

I would like a job operating heavy equipment ( dozers,excavators,loaders,etc etc ) but I also know how to drive tractors (farm), do construction (new houses,remodeling, commercial etc), and I also have been a dispatcher for a trucking company for awhile.

As far as living goes we would not like an apartment but probably rent at first. Housing is stupendously high here, think $1000 a month for 1bedroom 1 bath 600sq ft apartment in the average to bad part of town and buying prices are crazy too. Can be city living or country but should be a very "scenic area. If I can find a job in my area(s) for about what I'm making now then we could afford to spend up to $1500 a month on housing but that would have to be really nice then. We have no payments, or debts of any kind.

We love the outdoors and love atv'ing and stuff of the like.

We are also strong Christians so would love to be close to churches and stuff like that.

So I think thats enough info to start hopefully... Are there places that sound like they might match our facts/criteria/situation?

Thanks in advance and God Bless Yall!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 09:18 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,783,571 times
Colorado Springs.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:17 PM

26,116 posts, read 48,726,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Colorado Springs.
Except that the test wells drilled east of the city didn't pan out and it seems there will be no oil/gas drilling and fracking here.

IIRC Weld County has a lot of oil/gas drilling work, in the n.e. part of the state, also a big ag county.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:18 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,069,308 times
Perhaps in Weld. I would be cautious about any assumption that involves maintaining your current pay level while moving to an area with a lower cost of living. It is harder to recruit in high COL areas, and as a result the pay is usually higher in those areas to compensate for the costs. This isn't always the case, but works as a rule of thumb.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,033 times
I dont mind making less if the money goes further. I've seen some jobs like that on craigslist, but where would be the best place to find a job like I mentioned or what is the best way of going about that in that area?

Old 06-09-2013, 12:28 AM

17,670 posts, read 29,561,379 times
Default And, soon to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Weld County has a lot of oil/gas drilling work, in the n.e. part of the state, also a big ag county.
its own state.
Right now, it is its own state of mind.
But, secession (think Rick Perry) is nigh.
http://coloradopols.com/diary/44182/...-dum*****istan

Old 06-09-2013, 01:47 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,569 posts, read 57,505,129 times
Stay in TX until Eva is FINISHED w/ school and is a fully fledged RN (it takes a TIME & $$ hit to transfer, LOTS of competition in CO schools)

Make LOTS of money while you can (keep the $20/hr + OT, and work LOTS of OT... I did about 20 - 30 hrs OT / week and still had a PT truck driving job in Wyoming on weekends). Eva should be working at least PT in her field. (preferred FT if you don't have kids). Tough, I know, but I worked FT + PT during 4 degree programs. Spouse did similar, as did my kids a few yrs ago. Not EZ, but possible and having experience and INCENTIVE to work during school gets you a MUCH better job and pay when you are done.

If you play your cards / jobs correct. with double income (in decent wage jobs) you will be able to RETIRE at age 35 - 40 and live wherever you want!

Buy multi family real estate (Duplex - 4 plex) Don't live there, RENT at a cheaper place and get the Multi family places paid off ASAP. Once they are paid off, you will be able to REPLACE wage income (which is not gonna be worth much anyway in a few yrs (taxes...Healthcare Costs)).

Look and the BIG picture and deal with the issues of current place. Take lots of vacations and ENJOY what you have until something better comes along.

Personally I would suggest you look to WY (Sheridan) or SD (Sturgis / Spearfish). Medical jobs with VA (who will pay for LOTS of school and has GOOD benefits and retirement). NO INCOME TAXES in SD or WY, good during wage yrs. Also the above areas are VERY nice, GOOD schools (especially WY) and high paying job for You too. (Cost of living is higher than CO. but Quality of life (in some ways, especially friends / church) is much richer in SD and WY.

If you are stuck on CO, then look to Colo Springs, or East Ft Collins / Loveland / Windsor (but please check out WY and SD too)

YMMV. (someone will take issue with this... I lived 28 yrs in Co and WY and similar in WA (income tax free also). Have held my CDL for over 40 yrs. Raised a family on single income skilled job + did 30+ yrs of elder care for a sick parent and homeschooled my own & retired pre age 50.

Life goes by VERY fast. Stay engaged in blooming where you are planted... Read Oswald Chambers (together) on a daily basis to keep a decent perspective and inquisitive learning and serving attitude.

My homepage...
http://utmost.org/

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 06-09-2013 at 01:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado