Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 08:58 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
We (the real Colorado) keep the mineral rights and let them go.
I am pretty sure they will get their mineral and water rights, both of which would be a blow to Colorado as a whole, which is one reason I pointed out that the state as a whole may want to pay attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 10:05 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,021 times
I'm fairly certain this will not come to pass in our life time. There are too many drawbacks, and this state is far too great to allow it to be broken up. It's unfortunate that some want to argue for creating a new state so they won't be bound by renewable energy laws, especially in areas where the economics of renewable energy are reasonably attractive.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:37 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
This has about as much chance as Texas succeeding what a waste of a thread.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:49 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
.... with the discovery of the Niobrara adding to the already known oil in the Julesburg basin, Weld, Morgan, and Logan county are set up to be economic power houses for the next few years, at least until the next oil bust.....
Great post, thanks. The oil/gas aspect is possibly a key impetus for this. The oil & gas dudes want to get their hands on that stuff but not pay severance taxes to WY, CO, NM, etc, which means more money stays in their hands and flows to Texas interests. Those petroleum interests would also like to write their own set of state-level environmental laws, i.e., essentially none. I hope the people in those counties don't let the wool get pulled over their eyes by a bunch of slick dudes from Houston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
This has about as much chance as Texas succeeding what a waste of a thread.
Agree, and I hope this nonsense dies a quick death and the proponents suffer much ridicule.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:54 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Not just Colorado, not just Weld County.... It is partisan politics and the great divide that has been significantly festered of late. (Strategic 'political development' of high population centers that control the vote (electoral for national and concentrated for state)).

It's the 'battleground' tactic that has destroyed functional democracy in many states / regions and currently the entire USA. When one party / interest gets control, the ship is on a collision course with fate.

Both NM, OR and WA fell to this in last 20 yrs. 2 counties control the entire vote, so advertising / interests only get focused on getting that vote. The remainder of the populace suffers under the burden imposed by those who have no clue (usually 'employees' / 'renters' / urban dwellers who have never done a 4H project book, raised a calf, hired help, or missed meals to meet payroll.) Thus many of the PNW businesses and ranches flee to ID at the moment, just as we left CO in the 1970's and 1980's. Can't fight city Hall (and PAID professional politicians who have never worked a day in their life, and certainly not capable of running a business, much less CONTROLLING businesses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
.....Agree, and I hope this nonsense dies a quick death and the proponents suffer much ridicule.
I take an opposite stance... So sad the CAUSE is not identified and resolved to the betterment of "Colorado".

Old 06-08-2013, 12:10 PM

977 posts, read 1,328,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Especially considering Weld County has long been the wealthiest county in the state, Weld county actually has the same median household income as Fort Collins, while the cost of living is considerably lower. Now with the discovery of the Niobrara adding to the already known oil in the Julesburg basin, Weld, Morgan, and Logan county are set up to be economic power houses for the next few years, at least until the next oil bust.
I have never heard that Weld County is the wealthiest county in the state and I find that claim to be highly dubious. Either from a per capita wealth or a local GDP basis

As for resource extraction providing huge economic benefits; yes and no. The demand for local labor will increase but the companies certainly won't relocate to Weld County. The field offices will be there but the corporate offices, and the corresponding highly skilled labor, will hang out in Denver, Houston, Dallas, Oklahoma City and Calgary. Weld gets the royalties and leasing payments, the other areas benefit from the corporate profits and increasing talent pools of highly-skilled labor.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:29 PM

6,804 posts, read 9,354,170 times
Probably won't happen, but I don't blame them for trying, especially since the Colorado Democrats have been making their best effort to turn us into the next California.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:49 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Probably won't happen, but I don't blame them for trying, especially since the Colorado Democrats have been making their best effort to turn us into the next California.
And you don't want that. It means an economy increasingly composed of high tech jobs that are unattainable by most of the population and growing poor immigrant populations at the other end suppressing wages for everyone else while the middle class gets squeezed out. That's California now.
I would think those in revolt would have a much better chance of getting satisfaction by focusing their energies on punishing the state legislature. However, I don't know Colorado politics well enough. Maybe all these laws passed really do have popular support and the people are getting what they want. I guess we'll see in the next election.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:20 AM

4,319 posts, read 4,206,586 times
Good or bad, secession is in our DNA as a country. We were born secessionists. I think secession talks will get louder as politics gets even more polarized. I think some will actually happen. It might happen in CO. Why not?

Old 06-09-2013, 07:30 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,353,168 times
Would love to see Colorado become like California with a Democratic supermajority. Many rural people tend to vote against themselves/Republican, low wages, anti-labour, etc. and the US needs far less of that to exit the Plutocrat Turnpike we've been on. Granted, Colorado Dems are conservative, but there is promotion of progressive energy development, gun control, support for increased educational funding, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado