Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 07:49 PM

32 posts, read 57,681 times

Advertisements

I am planning a trip from Ind. to Phoenix AZ and back this summer (visiting family). I will be driving and am planning to take route 66 there, but would like to take another route home, to maximize my vacation time and allow my kids to see more parts of the country. After I leave Phoenix, I plan to go up to Grand Canyon and possibly up to the Arches in UT, then come back East thru Colorado on our way home to IL.
My problem: I am scared to death to drive thru the mountains. I have never done so, and keep having visions of missing a turn and driving off the side of the mountain. i've done some research and it seems that i70 wouldn't put me in that kind of situation but I'm wondering how heavily traveled it is. I don't want to be that crazy lady driving 20 mph and holding up traffic either. How steep is the decline coming into Denver--is it a gradual decline or a sharp decline?

If i go further north or south of Denver/I70 are there lower elevation areas that might be safer for someone like me (whose fear could turn into a hazard) to drive, yet still allow my kids to see the beautiful Rockies?

Any tips/ideas you can give is much appreciated.

(and yes, I know there are mountains in AZ but my sister assures me they are nothing like I will encounter in Colorado so I am not as concered about those)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 07:56 PM

26,111 posts, read 48,696,623 times
I-70 is fine, lots of guardrails and no real chance to drive off of anything. Fear not.

Consider an overnight in Glenwood Springs, relax in the hot springs, etc.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:40 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,548 posts, read 57,460,499 times
You mention IND > AZ, yet you mention decline into Denver... There is No Decline in elevation inbound from the east.

I-70 is very gentle grades and sweeping curves, can easily be driven at speed limit. (I drove semi trucks there for many yrs, winters are usually pretty good too (compared to WY)).

Take I-80 through Nebraska and enjoy Pioneer Village (Minden exit, 20 min south. also See Windmill state park on I-80 at Minden Exit)and Ole's Steakhouse / burgers (Paxson, 5 min & North (very western NE))

After your night at Glenwood Springs, CO consider heading south through Carbondale, CO to Moab, UT. The 2 national parks there are great, as are Bryce and Zion NP (If time is available on your way to PHX).

Old 06-11-2013, 05:45 AM

29 posts, read 49,415 times
I-70 offers some wonderful scenery, where snow-capped peaks can be often found year-round. It's 4 lane throughout, with no hairpin turns or scary dropoffs. But it is high country, and you'll go over both Vail pass and thru Eisenhower tunnel, both 10,000 ft passes. Just drive it during the day and avoid driving into Denver on Sunday afternoon, as traffic congestion heading back into the city can slow to a crawl.

I second the idea on staying in Glenwood Spgs. The main lodge has hot spring pools which are fun to experience.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:15 AM

Great. Thank you all for your input! I will definitly see about Glenwood Springs and those NP mentioned. Thanks again!!

Old 06-11-2013, 09:33 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,066,538 times
You will have no problem with those interstates. They are wide and safe.

I'm sorry that your trip has you returning to Indiana at the end /pokes some fun @ midwest

Old 06-11-2013, 10:36 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,570,446 times
Kasey, I share your fear of driving in the mountains, and I can assure you that I-70 going east through Colorado from Utah is not scary. Yes, there are passes to go over, but the highway is designed to be safe for semis and other haulers, so it is safe for cars.

There is a long downhill run into Denver, with lots of signs warning truckers about being careful with their brakes. That's probably why your sister thinks that you may be scared. It's really not bad at all for cars. And with it being three lanes there, you can always drive behind one of the slow-moving trucks and not worry about causing a back-up.

Enjoy your vacation!

Old 06-11-2013, 01:56 PM

833 posts, read 1,703,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
There is a long downhill run into Denver, with lots of signs warning truckers about being careful with their brakes. That's probably why your sister thinks that you may be scared. It's really not bad at all for cars. And with it being three lanes there, you can always drive behind one of the slow-moving trucks and not worry about causing a back-up.
The only caveat I would offer up is to down-shift into a lower gear so you aren't riding your brakes all the way down into Denver. Not only is it safer, but I think it would make the drive more enjoyable/less stressful for you.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
You will have no problem with those interstates. They are wide and safe.

I'm sorry that your trip has you returning to Indiana at the end /pokes some fun @ midwest

I am sorry too it has me returning to Indiana

Old 06-11-2013, 06:32 PM

Hawaii and Native--thank you for your insight as well. I greatly appreciate all of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado