Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 03:35 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times

Advertisements

Scott & Sue, great update. Please consider adding some photo's to this thread.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 01:35 PM

2 posts, read 3,146 times
Default Forestdale Camp Pictures

Attached are some pictures of Forestdale Ranch (was Forestdale Camp). I picked some pictures that might bring back some memories. The summer pictures I found do not show very much due to the foliage. At least the scenery should be close. We added a garage to the left of the old house. The inside of the A frame has new pictures on the wall but the tables and chairs in the middle of the room are the same. I hope you enjoy them.
Scott & Sue
Attached Thumbnails
Holy Cross Abbey question....-img_6861.jpg   Holy Cross Abbey question....-img_6864.jpg   Holy Cross Abbey question....-20150819_163037.jpg   Holy Cross Abbey question....-1127161114.jpg  

Old 01-18-2019, 03:31 PM

Great pix! Thank you.

Old 02-25-2019, 02:32 AM

2 posts, read 2,130 times
I grew up in University City (St. Louis) and attended Camp Holy Cross in the summer of 1956. I remember Abbott's Lodge and Forestdale. Do you remember climbing to the saddle of Horn Mt? I loved the West so much that I retired to Corrales (ABQ) NM. I visited the old camp recently on my trips to Denver.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-25-2019 at 12:59 PM..

Old 06-25-2019, 02:41 AM

7 posts, read 20,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott & Sue View Post
Attached are some pictures of Forestdale Ranch (was Forestdale Camp). I picked some pictures that might bring back some memories. The summer pictures I found do not show very much due to the foliage. At least the scenery should be close. We added a garage to the left of the old house. The inside of the A frame has new pictures on the wall but the tables and chairs in the middle of the room are the same. I hope you enjoy them.
Scott & Sue
Thank you for the pics, they bring back lotsa memories. Also recall fishing in that very pond and not catching a thing, anyways thanks for taking to time for the pics as well as keeping this beautiful property up to snuff{and then some}.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:35 PM

13 posts, read 16,184 times
Thumbs up Appreciation for the history of Forestdale

Scott and Sue: Thank you for showing courtesy to the readers of this thread and respect for the history of Forestdale "Lodge" (now Ranch). As you have seen, there are deep and meaningful memories for hundreds of campers and Abbey School students that relate to Forestdale. I was in the school from 1965-69, worked on camp from 68-77 and was Director of Admissions for the school for five years. I could talk all day about the memories I have of Forestdale, most of them funny. There are a few less humorous ones as well, such as the time I drove like a bat-out-of-Hell to Canon City in one of the camp vans, taking an 8-year camper who kept nodding off, even during ghost stories, to the Emergency Room at St. Thomas More Hospital. As it turned out, he was about go to into a diabetic coma. No one, including his physician father, had any idea that he was a diabetic. For the most part, though, when I think of Forestdale it conjures up the faces of many, many happy and excited campers and students. That brings a smile to my face. Mike Long

Old 07-13-2019, 01:06 PM

13 posts, read 16,184 times
Default Heading down to the corral

Since there is such fondness for Forestdale I thought I would post this iconic picture. It was taken by the late Greer Cavagnaro, a professional photographer from St. Louis, who came out during the '60's, at the request of Abbot Edward Vollmer, to take pictures for a new camp brochure. Greer had himself been a camper during the summers of '41 and '42 and had great affection for The Abbey. This picture is in the brochure, along with a lot of other great shots. He returned on several other occasions to take pictures for brochures, The Bruin (Abbey School yearbook) and other uses. He also camped in Canon City for a few weeks as the official still photographer of the film In Cold Blood, parts of which were filmed at 'old max' of the Colorado State Penitentiary. His son James. also attended camp in ''73 and '74, under the name Beaver Claws, which his father also had during his years as a camper.
Attached Thumbnails
Holy Cross Abbey question....-forestdale-sml.jpg  

Old 07-13-2019, 04:28 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,074,989 times
My wife's uncle, before he passed away, was on the staff of that camp and had the nickname "Chief Black Pot." He also taught American History ? at a local parochial school while he lived for decades at Holy Cross Abbey, Canon City. His monastic name was Brother Bernard, and his civilian name was Atlas Best, born in Clinton, North Carolina.

Old 07-13-2019, 05:14 PM

Here's a link to images of the Abbey.

Here's the wikipedia article.

Old 07-24-2019, 12:04 AM

7 posts, read 20,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochmike16 View Post
Since there is such fondness for Forestdale I thought I would post this iconic picture. It was taken by the late Greer Cavagnaro, a professional photographer from St. Louis, who came out during the '60's, at the request of Abbot Edward Vollmer, to take pictures for a new camp brochure. Greer had himself been a camper during the summers of '41 and '42 and had great affection for The Abbey. This picture is in the brochure, along with a lot of other great shots. He returned on several other occasions to take pictures for brochures, The Bruin (Abbey School yearbook) and other uses. He also camped in Canon City for a few weeks as the official still photographer of the film In Cold Blood, parts of which were filmed at 'old max' of the Colorado State Penitentiary. His son James. also attended camp in ''73 and '74, under the name Beaver Claws, which his father also had during his years as a camper.
What a beautiful picture, looks quite familiar.
I am sure if I was to dig around I wouldn't be surprised to find a copy of the brochure I brought home. I still remember the presentation and slideshow they did at John Carroll to recruit campers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado