Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 01:46 AM

7 posts, read 20,249 times

Advertisements

In Canon City that is. I attended a boys summer camp their around 1977 or so. Browsing the internet and such i find very little proof that it even existed and no mention of the wonderful summer camps at Holy Cross Abbey that they ran for years.
Does anyone have any memories of said camp?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 06:24 PM

3 posts, read 15,299 times
Yes, I was there in 82 and am finding out that not only you didn't exist, but the buses that got us to the main camp, also that really killer cabin you would go to when it was your time to go to that deal. I would pay big money to stay a night in that place again! john.giggity.land over at google's mail.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:27 PM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
They're still there and they make some mighty fine wines.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 5,061 times
I went to Camp Holy Cross every summer from 1967-1970. In those days, about two-thirds of the boys were from Chicago, and most of the rest from St. Louis. They were absolutely some of the best times of my life. The beauty of the area can not be overstated. I liked Abbot's Lodge the best, the big wooden lodge in the hills. You could see rain going from one side of the valley to the other. What memories!

Old 04-28-2015, 12:11 AM

7 posts, read 20,249 times
Nice to see some replies to my original post and sorry being so late with a reply.
I attended the camp around 77 or so and have great memories of the whole experience.

Does anyone remember the names of the 2 counselors who were Native American? I also remember there being 2 satellite camps, abbots lodge and forestdale lodge if memory serves correct.
I remember at Abbots lodge having to get up and being marched to something called "the dip" which was a extremely cold mountain stream that we had to dive into to start the day.
I also remember jogging along the bottom of Royal Gorge on several occasions.
Great memories.....

Old 05-30-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis from STL View Post
I went to Camp Holy Cross every summer from 1967-1970. In those days, about two-thirds of the boys were from Chicago, and most of the rest from St. Louis. They were absolutely some of the best times of my life. The beauty of the area can not be overstated. I liked Abbot's Lodge the best, the big wooden lodge in the hills. You could see rain going from one side of the valley to the other. What memories!

Abbot's Lodge!! THANK YOU! I'm now in Denver and here or about a week. I'm 45 now but was 12 or so when I went to this camp. Long story short, I am from Oklahoma and was supposed to go with my cousin. He had several friends he had been going to there with for years. It was my first year. I had to have surgery which pushed my date the second (or 20th who knows) for that year. Basically a 12 year old in Colorado by himself missing his mom! HAHHA. BUT, the ONLY time I enjoyed it was when I went to "Abbot's Lodge" Thank you SO much. I want to find the town that was down from the mountains there. I know there is a Rainbow Trail somewhere around there. I'm sure it's all private property at this point, but id LOVE to see that cabin, as I said earlier, id pay good money to stay there. What a killer place! You have made my search easier my friend. Thank you. I'll manage my way back to Oklahoma from Denver via the Colorado route. I think I can swing by there. Be well!

Old 05-30-2015, 03:19 PM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Googling around I found this Rainbow Trail, which might be the one you recall.

Another hit on Rainbow Trail.

This one has a map.

Images found.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-30-2015, 03:24 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
The Winery at Holy Cross Abbey (Canon City, CO): Hours, Address, Reviews - TripAdvisor

A friend that is away right now went to school there.

Old 05-30-2015, 06:19 PM

184 posts, read 440,007 times
The town you might be thinking about, john.giggity.land, could be Westcliffe.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:49 PM

I'm glad I looked back at this. I'm in Peblo now. I went through Canyon City and stopped at what used to be the Abby and is now a DOC training center. They had what looked to be most of the old campus but the main large church and something south of it where they make the wine I suppose. Thank you guys for all this info! I drove from Breckenridge down some back roads and just kept looking for where that camp was. The main camp that is. Thanks again everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado