Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 07:47 PM

8 posts, read 16,346 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
Just a few questions. First off we bought a total of 15 acres in the SLVR. I know there is nothing there but land and chicweed and sage brush, any idea best way to get rid of it? I also am looking for a camper in June and can't find one in our price range, will be using a cabin tent with generator for the first month. Are there alot of snakes on the property???????? I know it will be difficult at first but hoping all will be great. This is going to be my home forever. Are people there friendly and helpful? Let me know if you will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 08:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,676 times
Default Land in Blanca

Hello, moving to blanca in may, bought a 5 acre lot and a 10 acfe lot, was wondering if anyone can tell me how to thin down or just remove some of the sage brush, and where the best fishing is located in that area. Any information about blanca would be helpful. thank you

Old 04-04-2014, 10:58 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,897 times
Dear mooseman and little mama,

You'd be best off just living with the sagebrush unless your property has an extensive water supply which would allow for the maintenance of more water thirsty landscaping. Might I ask what you were thinking you could replace it with? And with all due respect, why would you move to the San Luis Valley or anywhere else in Colorado besides the Front Range if you don't like sagebrush? I love our aromatic sagebrush here on the Western Slope. Plus, sagebrush is native to the region - not a weed to be up-rooted and rid of. Pull out all the sagebrush and you're going to end up with a barren moonscape unless you're thinking of just a small area around your dwelling for a yard. You could put in some xeriscaping, but 15 acres of xeriscaping would be an immense and costly project. You could make lots of new friends in Blanca that way I suppose, since so many folks in the area are in need of jobs. Me, I'd meet the new neighbors with a plate of brownies. It's far easier and cheaper.

Anyhow, for fishing check out the Conejos River between Antonito, Colorado and Chama, New Mexico to the south of the SLV on Highway 17. If memory serves, some parts of the Conejos are designated as especially fine trout fishing areas.

Yours,
Rambler

Last edited by Colorado Rambler; 04-04-2014 at 11:09 PM..

Old 04-05-2014, 09:03 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,341,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Dear mooseman and little mama,

Anyhow, for fishing check out the Conejos River between Antonito, Colorado and Chama, New Mexico to the south of the SLV on Highway 17. If memory serves, some parts of the Conejos are designated as especially fine trout fishing areas.

Yours,
Rambler
Very pretty area to fish. Husband has fished there.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:40 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,897 times
^^^

The Conejos River is truely lovely. We used to go down there from Colorado Springs a couple of times a year to get a little fishing and hiking in. The mountains in that area are also spectacular in the fall. Perhaps mooseman and little m could devote their time to trout fishing and leave the poor old sagebrush alone.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:25 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Remove the sage and greasewood, and all that will be left will be noxious weeds. Those small tracts almost never have any irrigation water, so you are stuck with the sage and greasewood because that is the natural vegetation of the SLV where water isn't present. Also, the more greasewood there is, that is a strong indication of how alkaline the soil is. Even with water, that soil won't be very productive. Sad to say, you're most likely just more victims of the "land scam" that's been going on the SLV for decades. I've watched this going on the SLV for over 40 years and I'm continually surprised that there seems to be a never-ending stream of people willing to waste their money on those worthless tracts of land.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:10 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,341,033 times
I imagine there are snakes. Here in Eastern OK I get them trying to come into our house. I've actually stepped on a copper head in the kitchen before. I've seen snakes in your area too. Actually, dead snakes on hikes. Just buy snake boots, well there actually not boots we put them on our legs and they touch our boots. They were not expensive from Amazon. I think the snakes might be more dangerous in your area too. We have timber rattlers and few diamond backs but mostly copper. Not sure what the desert has but wouldn't take changes. Kept your tent closed when your out and look around the outside of the tent when you get out. They (snakes) look for cooler areas in the summer and don't lift a rock with bare hands.

What jazzlover is true but on the other hand, I've been in the area many times like every year and I see happy people. Did you buy in one of the subdivisions? The area is neat and hope you have a great adventure.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:00 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
The only poisonous snake in the SLV is the Western rattlesnake and they are relatively uncommon on the valley floor (it's actually too dry for them in most places). They are more common in the foothills around the valley. I've seen them there at up to 9,000 ft. elevation--the highest elevation that I've seen a rattlesnake in Colorado. No copperheads, etc.

I'm in the SLV frequently--in fact, I was just there in the last 5 days. I'd have to say that the happiest people in the SLV are generally the ones that have been there for generations and AREN'T the ones trying to survive on useless tracts of land out in the small acreage "subdivisions." I have a lot of friends in the SLV--some that I've known for 30+ years. Those long-timers in the SLV are some of the nicest people that I know in Colorado, right up with the farmers and ranchers that I know out on Colorado's Eastern Plains.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:01 PM

Default Thank You All

Thank you to all that replied. Very nice to see there will be great people to meet and sure am looking forward to those brownies. As for our sage brush only clearing a little away for our cabin tent for now till we get something bigger. As for fishing you better beleive we will be trout fishing, as love eating it. Look so forward to getting there. We are moving there to start something we have alway wanted to do, start at the beginning and see what we have done in the end.
Mooseman and little mama

Old 04-05-2014, 06:10 PM

Thank you for the information on the snakes, was really worried about that. I hope to be there a long time. We bought snake chaps for just in case. I'm in a wheel chair so I will just curl up in chair lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado