Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 10:54 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,997,749 times

Advertisements

I thought I'd start a fun thread for people to report their wildlife sightings. I'll start.

This evening on my walk I saw 2 coyotes and 3 owls. I had to walk after dark because of the heat.

My first sighting was a coyote laying next to the path I walk. I could barely see its outline. I turned my flashlight on it to see if it would move off but it didn't. After I and my dogs stood there for a bit with us both watching each other I decided to turn around and not attempt to pass because I had read reports of rabies in the area (other animal types, not coyotes but one can never be too careful with rabies).

When I turned around there was another one behind me just standing there. I shined my flashlight on it and it started to move off at a slow pace. So I turned back and shined it on the other one who was still laying there. He then got up to move off so I turned back to the one who had already started to move off but he had stopped and was coming toward me. They both eventually responded to the flashlight hazing and moved off. One of my dogs started barking after they got a fair distance away which helped them along. So then I continued on the path.

Right in front of me an owl swooped off a house into the field. Maybe I scared up some dinner with all my flashlight hazing.

On the way back I spotted two more owls on the roofs of houses. They were both hooting away, alternating between the two of them.

I often see hawks, sometimes snakes and a little more rarely a bald headed eagle. Rabbits every day of course. Occasionally I have a good story about them like the time one was hazing a bull snake. Trying to lure it away. I moved off before I saw the ending but I didn't realize rabbits were brave enough to spar with a big bull snake.

So anyone got some good stories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 11:09 PM

50,056 posts, read 46,553,810 times
How big are your dogs? Yotes do this to snag a small dog for a snack.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:13 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,189,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
How big are your dogs?
Yotes do this to snag a small dog for a snack.
Can this post be deleted, please?

Old 06-20-2013, 09:33 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,570,446 times
Mic111, where were you walking?

Old 06-20-2013, 09:52 AM

17,665 posts, read 29,540,339 times
Default I just learned someting

Quote:
How big are your dogs? Yotes do this to snag a small dog for a snack.
Makes me happy to have indoor cats.

We did see 6 pelicans this morning during our walk around Berkeley Park Lake.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:23 AM

3,111 posts, read 4,997,749 times
Quote:
How big are your dogs? Coyotes do this to snag a small dog for a snack.
My dogs are 45 and 50 lbs. We were walking in Broomfield. Coyotes are a very common sighting in my area. There used to be more but of course with development their numbers are reduced. I've seen them stalk older or impaired dogs being walked. Coyotes, foxes and birds of prey have taken out a fair number of small dogs in the neighborhood over the years so the first thing anyone hears about if they move in with small dogs is they can't leave them out alone.

I didn't realize until this morning what was happening. We have a neighbor who used to feed the coyotes behind their house. This irritated a number of us dog walkers because our dogs would snag the food. I thought they had stopped but now I'm thinking that they feed them at night. My guess is the coyotes I happened upon were just waiting for the food to appear. They weren't in motion when I walked up to them so I don't think they were stalking us.

I'm going to talk to them today about this misguided practice as they are putting the coyotes lives in danger by attracting them to a public path and causing them to associate food with people. If they decide to defend their food source one time, and someone reports them, they will be hunted down.

Last edited by mic111; 06-20-2013 at 11:48 AM..

Old 06-20-2013, 10:30 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,103,529 times

Old 06-20-2013, 03:13 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,884,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
My dogs are 45 and 50 lbs. We were walking in Broomfield. Coyotes are a very common sighting in my area. There used to be more but of course with development their numbers are reduced. I've seen them stalk older or impaired dogs being walked. Coyotes, foxes and birds of prey have taken out a fair number of small dogs in the neighborhood over the years so the first thing anyone hears about if they move in with small dogs is they can't leave them out alone.

I didn't realize until this morning what was happening. We have a neighbor who used to feed the coyotes behind their house. This irritated a number of us dog walkers because our dogs would snag the food. I thought they had stopped but now I'm thinking that they feed them at night. My guess is the coyotes I happened upon were just waiting for the food to appear. They weren't in motion when I walked up to them so I don't think they were stalking us.

I'm going to talk to them today about this misguided practice as they are putting the coyotes lives in danger by attracting them to a public path and causing them to associate food with people. If they decide to defend their food source one time, and someone reports them, they will be hunted down.
Away from the towns, coyotes tend to be pretty shy. I've never had one approach my campsite or snatch a small pet. I camped for three months on the San Miguel with my cat. Nothing got it, although I worried about raptors and such.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:31 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,584,583 times
We're in Colorado Springs. We've had: coyotes, bear, lots of deer, TONS of rabbits, even a long tail weasel.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 2,001 times
Default coyote sighting in midtown Tucson

On my morning walk around 6:30, I was walking on a residential street midtown Tucson AZ, when I saw a coyote approach. As I walked, another coyote followed, then another and finally four all together. I was so astonished, that it took me longer than usual to fumble for my camera. I finally got a few shots of the last coyote in the pack. They were all in good shape, and seemed to be friendly. As they moved on down the street, I couldn't help but be worried about their safety managing Tucson's city streets and coming upon more people and cars. I sure hope they were able to move to an area more suitable to them. I wonder who else saw them. Somebody had to have seen them! It was Wednesday, Sep 4 2014.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado