Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2013, 10:36 AM

2 posts, read 2,485 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a 26 yr old mother of two ( a one year old and a 7 yr old) my boyfriend and I have been thinking of moving to Colorado Springs/Fort Collins area within the next 6 months or so and I would like to know more about it. We have been researching online and looking on Craigslist for job offers and homes. We are looking to spend from $1000-$1250 on rent. We are used to living in New Jersey so we are just looking for some peace. Even tho we would still like to live in a city area and be around people our age we dont want to be around to much rustle and bustle... <---if thats a word . We are looking for an area where its more family based but not to conservative or extremely military based since my boyfriend is tattooed up and we occassionally smoke pot . I work as a scheduler coordinator in a obgyn office and would like to continue to work in Medical/Health. I am a licensed Medical Biller and went to school for Psychology. I have read didnt forums and people say the job opportunities are not good. is that true? What places are our best best? We want to live in a place where we can walk around and take public transportation even tho we have a vehicle. We are Hispanics (puerto rican/dominican) we heard its a bit racist in some places . we are trying to avoid those places. If anyone can help us get a lil more knowledge of Colorado we would appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 11:45 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Tons of soldiers in COLO SPGS are heavily tattooed, no need to avoid this city because of that. Lots of them are Hispanic too.

The further south in COLO one goes, the more Hispanic it gets, with Pueblo being a good example of a city that is majority Hispanic or close to it.

Colo Spgs will prove to have a lower cost of living than Fort Collins.

Both are good places for families.

Not a lot of racism in this state, it's always had a Hispanic flavor to it, the further south the more of it you get. The area from Pueblo and further south was part of Mexico until about 1848 and there are lots of Hispanic families that've been here for generations.

Your rent budget will do fine in COLO SPGS, but I haven't checked Fort Collins, aka The Fort.

Very little pubic transit in COLO SPGS, the Denver metro area has excellent transit. IMO you should not rule out the Denver area.

Best advice is to move to wherever you can get a job, then start improving your lot in life once you are here.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:50 PM

2 posts, read 2,485 times
I have heard that Colorado Springs is very conservative? Is that true? I was leaning more twds COLO SPGS since im tired of being around a lot of ppl but i need to be around transit since we only have one vehicle. And i would like to get a job before moving out there.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:10 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
I second the recommendation to also look at Denver. Lots of near suburbs where you can avoid people as much or as little as you'd like.
The public transportation system is indeed excellent here. And I say that as a NYC native.

Also, lots of medical facilities here including National Jewish, Children's Hospital, Medical Center of Aurora... so it may be easier for you to find work in the greater Denver area.

Have you visited the area yet? If not, you really must. The climate, etc. are very different from NY/Jersey and things are considerably more laid back. And, it's land-locked. Just some things to consider.

Good luck!

Old 07-12-2013, 01:28 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,997,570 times
Tuty0420 wrote: I have been thinking of moving to Colorado Springs/Fort Collins area

According to google maps, there is a distance of 132 miles between the cities of Ft Collins and Colorado Springs. Noting this degree of separation, I feel safe in saying that there is no such animal as a Colorado Springs/Fort Collins area

Old 07-12-2013, 01:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Tuty0420 wrote: I have been thinking of moving to Colorado Springs/Fort Collins area

According to google maps, there is a distance of 132 miles between the cities of Ft Collins and Colorado Springs. Noting this degree of separation, I feel safe in saying that there is no such animal as a Colorado Springs/Fort Collins area
Yeah! Actually, when we came here that was our goal, and we ended up in the metro Denver area due to there being more jobs. We've been here 33 years; I guess that means we like it!

Old 07-12-2013, 08:50 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post

Perhaps "corridor" is a more apt description?

Don't be too hard on us easterners. It can be really hard to fathom until you do it regularly that it is possible to travel hundreds of miles in the time it takes to travel from Manhattan to Jersey during rush hour. And that big cities really are that far apart out here.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:32 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,123,489 times
It is important to note that the Hispanic population is much different here.

- the most established group is made up of people whose families settled in New Mexico and have lived in the region for centuries. They do not like to be grouped in with recent immigrants from Mexico.

- Mexican immigrants make up the other large group. This group is a mixture of legal and illegal immigrants and they are the focus of many anti-immigrant sentiments.

- Central American immigrants (Hondurans, Salvadorans, Costa Ricans) are a much smaller group and they don't like to be lumped in with the Mexicans.

There is a very small population of Hispanics from the Caribbean (Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Cubans). Traditionally, these groups have very little in common with other Hispanic groups. I don't think Puerto Ricans have to worry about discrimination from the white people, as they will have to worry about discrimination from the other Hispanic groups. I know that even in the east, the Puerto Ricans and Dominicans have little in common with the Mexicans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado