Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 10:45 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
We are the United STATES of America. But we are not the United Counties of Colorado.
If you do not understand the difference, I can't help you.
Being a single issue voter, you will find a way to twist the logic.
Right, and our state government is modeled after our federal government. I guess you were not aware if this. I am saying the degree to which the state is modeled after the fed can be improved upon. The difference between states and counties is irrelevant. The scale is what is under discussion.

Also, I'm not a single issue voter. I'm not sure where you came up with that idea.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:51 AM

50,790 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Right, and our state government is modeled after our federal government. I guess you were not aware if this. I am saying the degree to which the state is modeled after the fed can be improved upon. The difference between states and counties is irrelevant. The scale is what is under discussion.

Also, I'm not a single issue voter. I'm not sure where you came up with that idea.
I will say again that it is not comparable.

The states were banding together to form a nation, and that compromise of different structures of the 2 houses of Congress was the only way to make the nation that we became.

I would imagine that counties were carved out AFTER Colorado became a state, not as a condition to make it a state.

Each colony had a unique history as individual entities. Each county doesn't have a unique history as an individual entity in the same sense at all.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I will say again that it is not comparable.

The states were banding together to form a nation, and that compromise of different structures of the 2 houses of Congress was the only way to make the nation that we became.

I would imagine that counties were carved out AFTER Colorado became a state, not as a condition to make it a state.

Each colony had a unique history as individual entities. Each county doesn't have a unique history as an individual entity in the same sense at all.
All that is true, but even states have peeked off and formed independent states after the constitution was ratified. That is the beauty of our system: laws and jurisdictions can be changed. An effort to further model the state government after the fed does not need to be point for point identical to the fed. All it needs is a model and a logical method by which to scale it down.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:35 AM

50,790 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
All that is true, but even states have peeked off and formed independent states after the constitution was ratified. That is the beauty of our system: laws and jurisdictions can be changed. An effort to further model the state government after the fed does not need to be point for point identical to the fed. All it needs is a model and a logical method by which to scale it down.
Well, perhaps county lines need to be redrawn completely to reflect modern population patterns and economic realities, rather than those back in 1876. This is an interesting site:

Pages | Colorado | Atlas of Historical County Boundaries Project

It outlines historical Colorado county boundaries and how they have changed.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, perhaps county lines need to be redrawn completely to reflect modern population patterns and economic realities, rather than those back in 1876. This is an interesting site:

Pages | Colorado | Atlas of Historical County Boundaries Project

It outlines historical Colorado county boundaries and how they have changed.
I will look at that later (on mobile device now) but re-drawing county lines is something I'd be open to discussing as well in support of revamping the state Govt. I almost mentioned it a few posts ago but feared "vision overload!" I think anything is on the table, including status quo. I just would like to see more discussion on the matter. If we reach a point where we need to issue a recall we maybe should ask ourselves why, and take a look at the everything involved. When we have counties discussing breaking off and forming a new state it is worth looking at other solutions to address their complaints. Maybe nothing changes, but let's at least give the issue due diligence.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:05 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,679,527 times
Quote:
I will look at that later (on mobile device now) but re-drawing county lines is something I'd be open to discussing as well in support of revamping the state Govt. I almost mentioned it a few posts ago but feared "vision overload!" I think anything is on the table, including status quo. I just would like to see more discussion on the matter. If we reach a point where we need to issue a recall we maybe should ask ourselves why, and take a look at the everything involved. When we have counties discussing breaking off and forming a new state it is worth looking at other solutions to address their complaints. Maybe nothing changes, but let's at least give the issue due diligence.
Not sure there is a problem that needs to be solved. Colorado at one time was a rural state with rural concerns and politics. Now the Front Range Urban corridor is 80% of the state population. What you see as a problem that needs fixing, I see a democracy in action. The majority of Colorado (mostly the urban front range) want minimal gun restrictions. Some laws change as areas get more crowded and more urban. No one is trying to take away your guns.

Edit: just noticed your not from Colorado. So the Colorado Legislature is definately not trying to take away your guns.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:30 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,117,197 times
Quote:
No one is trying to take away your guns.

Edit: just noticed your not from Colorado. So the Colorado Legislature is definately not trying to take away your guns.
I keep hearing "nobody want's to take your guns"....

Some reading from this year's headlines:

Hawaii legislature proposes gun confiscation
It

New York Assemblyman asks colleague not to mention that original proposed SAFE Act included confiscation
Assemblyman Lists Gun Confiscation Agenda Of NY Democrats

Missouri Democrats introduce legislation to confiscate guns
Missouri Democrats Introduce Legislation to Confiscate Firearms - Gives Gun Owners 90 Days to Turn in Weapons - Fox Nation

VA has veterans who cannot manage their own financial affairs declared prohibited persons unable to own firearms
Hammond: VA targets veterans for gun confiscation | Human Events

NJ State Senator "We needed a bill that was going to confiscate confiscate confiscate."
http://www.politickernj.com/back_roo...ate-confiscate

Old 07-22-2013, 03:38 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,679,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post

This thread is about a recall election in Colorado based on a change in gun laws.
I should have been more specific, "The Colorado Legislature is not trying to take away your guns".

Old 07-22-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Not sure there is a problem that needs to be solved.
Perhaps not, but someday you'll be on the outside of the prevailing mindset. I'd be willing to bet it'll be a problem that will need to be solved then. But as long as you're not affected, no problem, right?

Quote:
What you see as a problem that needs fixing, I see a democracy in action. The majority of Colorado (mostly the urban front range) want minimal gun restrictions.
A recall election is also democracy in action.
Changing the system when it abandons you is democracy in action.
Ensuring the rights of the minority (or in this case, the voices of sparsely populated rural areas) is democracy in action.
The majority of Colorado OPPOSING the gun legislation but the state assembly pushing it through anyway...not democracy in action, hence the recall elections.

Quote:
First I'm a single issue voter, then I can't comprehend logic, and now I'm not from Colorado. You really should stick to topics about which you are not entirely clueless.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post

Hawaii legislature proposes gun confiscation
It

New York Assemblyman asks colleague not to mention that original proposed SAFE Act included confiscation
Assemblyman Lists Gun Confiscation Agenda Of NY Democrats

Missouri Democrats introduce legislation to confiscate guns
Missouri Democrats Introduce Legislation to Confiscate Firearms - Gives Gun Owners 90 Days to Turn in Weapons - Fox Nation

VA has veterans who cannot manage their own financial affairs declared prohibited persons unable to own firearms
Hammond: VA targets veterans for gun confiscation | Human Events

NJ State Senator "We needed a bill that was going to confiscate confiscate confiscate."
Senators Caught on Tape: "Confiscate, Confiscate, Confiscate" | Politicker NJ

Quote:
This thread is about a recall election in Colorado based on a change in gun laws.
I should have been more specific, "The Colorado Legislature is not trying to take away your guns".
The above referenced examples are relevant to the Colorado recalls because lawmakers watch and repeat what other lawmakers do. When confiscation is the order of the day in nearby states, it's a matter of time before our own assembly ups the ante in their fight against the U.S. Constitution. These recall elections are also relevant to those states as well. A successful recall effort here in Colorado can also send a message to legislatures in other states too. Nothing happens in a vacuum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado