Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 03:10 PM

3 posts, read 15,224 times

Advertisements

Hi, thanks in advance for any assistance!

My husband and I are recently retired and are interested in a large (750 homes or more), active adult community, with a very large clubhouse (30,000 sq ft or more), lots of clubs and activities (including a pool), with nice detached homes, in a safe area. Access within 15 minutes to shopping and entertainment is a plus. A picturesque area would be wonderful.

We've found some info about Anthem Ranch (Broomfield), Heritage Todd Creek (Thornton) and Heritage at Eagle Bend (Aurora). We have also reviewed some info on this site about the general area. However, it is difficult to assimilate all the info and make a good judgement, without ever having been to any of the communities or cities mentioned above.

Of the cities listed above,
* which would you rate most highly for safety?
* entertainment (restaurants, casual walking, easy biking...)?
* cleanliness?
* natural beauty?
* friendliness?

Of the communities listed above,
* which would you rate most highly and why?

If you know of any additional active adult retirement communities which fit the bill, kindly let me know about them.

I'd like to schedule a visit to the area by the end of summer and look forward to seeing your input.

Thank you very much again for your help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 06:59 PM

3,125 posts, read 5,047,057 times
I live in the area of the two north ones so can provide some info on them but not necessarily addressing your questions. Sorry about that.

Heritage Todd Creek is out in a very rural area. Not much shopping or dining nearby. Nearest amenities are along I-25 shopping corridor. Maybe south into north Thornton or east into Brighton for groceries. You want to investigate and really understand their water supply. Make sure you are OK with how it works and the restrictions. Eventually light rail will be at Hwy 7 and the railroad. Not too far away but the current timing is too far out to count on being in our lifetime.

Anthem Ranch is under a small airport runway so there has always been some plane noise when we were there from take offs and landings. Not commercial aircraft but personal aircraft. Make sure you are OK with the airport noise. If you like to watch planes then the airport could be a plus. Good cement walking trails for daily strolls (not natural trails). Have to watch out for the coyotes. Good views. Feels out in the middle of nowhere but Lafayette old town is nearby plus all the shopping along I-25. Good restaurants in Louisville which isn't too far and has a cute very small downtown.

Both are in extremely safe areas (pretty isolated). I would edge Anthem over Todd Creek for entertainment but everything is a drive for both. I only know about the Anthem trail system for dog walking and it isn't bad. We drive over there to take a stroll every now and then. I think both are extremely clean but I only know about Anthem and am guessing on Todd Creek. Given it's location out in the middle of no where I don't think it could possibly be dirty. I think Anthem has good natural beauty (mountain views) but around here all the natural landscaping is dry prairie grass so not so beautiful.

I don't know anything about the Aurora one.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:54 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
If you have narrowed your possible locations to 3 - that is a very easy visit to all of them.

The one in Aurora is closer to more amenities. They all cater to the needs of an active senior lifestyle.

Anthem has a Highlands under 55 side. Toll Brothers is now building in Anthem.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:55 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
They are all safe.
Anywhere that YOU are looking will be safe.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:15 AM

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Your information was very helpful, I really appreciate it.

Anne Marie

Old 07-28-2013, 04:09 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Heritage at Eagle Bend is the most scenic of the three-- rolling hills with clusters of pine trees, good views. Ironically, it's also the furthest from the mountains distance-wise. Southlands at Smoky Hill & E-470 is a nice walkable outdoor shopping center about 2 miles away.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:31 AM

166 posts, read 411,531 times
I second what mic has to say.

If you plan to have family come and stay and/or live, I would look into what policies they may have regarding 'guests' and their definitions of such.

If you are out here, I would really spend the time walking around, explore the area amenities and conveniences. Also take a moment or two to 'canvas' the residents who live there, many would be happy to share their thoughts and experiences.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:05 AM

I think I'm going to take a trip down to the Aurora one. I looked it up on-line and they gave gluten free meals at their club house so I can grab a meal and take a tour. If there is anything in particular you want to know let me know and I'll try to find out while I'm there.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
I think I'm going to take a trip down to the Aurora one. I looked it up on-line and they gave gluten free meals at their club house so I can grab a meal and take a tour. If there is anything in particular you want to know let me know and I'll try to find out while I'm there.

I can't thank you enough for your help.

We live in NY, so a quick is not available to me at this time.

I'd love to know how it "feels": friendly? people happy? how is clubhouse maintained? how large is pool? Is the landscape barren or developed? out in the middle of no where?

Again, thank you so much. Everyone I speak with says they'd love to visit and/or move to Colorado, clearly it is due to the much nicer than average people who live there!

Anne Marie

Old 08-01-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd17 View Post
I can't thank you enough for your help.

We live in NY, so a quick is not available to me at this time.

I'd love to know how it "feels": friendly? people happy? how is clubhouse maintained? how large is pool? Is the landscape barren or developed? out in the middle of no where?

Again, thank you so much. Everyone I speak with says they'd love to visit and/or move to Colorado, clearly it is due to the much nicer than average people who live there!

Anne Marie
I'll be happy to report back. I don't yet know what were going to do for retirement. I know one couple from my neighborhood who moved to the Anthem development when it opened but I didn't know them well enough to stay in contact.

When I saw the one in Aurora had gluten free in their restaurant I figured it would be worth the time to drive down there. It is less than 45 min. from my house and pretty close to where I used to live when I lived in the Denver Tech Center. I loved living down there but then again, I love living up north where I do now. It seems that their home prices are cheaper at Heritage Bend so it is worth checking out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado