Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 11:18 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,936,051 times

Advertisements

I have been having endless fun out here with a husband/wife team who own the fourplex I currently reside in. These two are typical residents of the New Durango these days - a couple of pretentious yuppies – he from NYC and she from LA - who met up in Durango, recognized one another as fellow sociopaths and decided to team up and get rich by becoming slumlords and sticking it to the people of Cortez where none of their trendy gang back in glitzville were watching. They bought 3 properties in Cortez from which they extract the maximum cash for the minimum effort.

Things were slow the first few years, so they resorted to specializing in low income tenants who were eligible for programs like LEAP and 4-CORE. 4-CORE died when the sequester came along, but once upon a time, it was a great program, dedicated to ensuring that people in the Four Corners, like low income seniors living off Social Security, stayed warm for the winter. 4-CORE would come in and inpect their homes, and if needed - a low income senior might qualify for a new furnace when their old one gave out, free installment of free insulation, double paned windows, and new energy efficient refrigerators. It was a really nice service for that 75 year old widow and others like her, living alone with only her cat for company and a malfunctioning wood stove as her only source of heat.

Unfortunately, this program also was available to LEAP recipients, living in rental units. This was no big deal if they had an honest landlord, but our two heroes are anything put honest. They put together a great scam ripping off $-CORE for new furnaces and fridges, etc meant to help their low income tenants. When the oil and gas and fracking crowd began to arrive around here with fat per diem checks in their pockets, the slumlords were quick to see the possibilities to make some extra cash. They kicked out their low income tenants (who of course had to leave the furnaces, etc behind), upped the rents to what the new market would bear, and their old tenants were rendered homeless, because they couldn’t afford the higher rents that now prevail around here. But who cares, right? The low income tenants had served their purpose, nothing further to be wrung out of them by defrauding the tax payers, time to hit the road.

Cortez is steadily developing a crisis in housing to rival that of places like Rifle or the western half of ND. From an economic analysis of the impact of the mass influx of gas and oil shale workers in the town of Rifle:

Quote:
Local governments often see a loss of available workforce housing as the local housing stock is taken up by industry employees. This makes it increasingly difficult for employers to recruit workers to the area because the increase in housing costs outpaces growth in salaries.

Upward pressures on housing disproportionately impact low wage earners, persons on fixed income and seniors. Social services and non-profit housing agencies and authorities struggle to place people in lower rent or assisted housing in a heated rental market.
People with low incomes are certainly struggling here with 15 – 20 applications for every rental opening and the price of rents jacked through the roof. I am now experiencing this first hand, since me and my 68 year-old neighbor are the slumlords’ latest victims. I guess the pair of them were used to cowed, little tenants, quivering before the lash, then slinking away to die. When they tried their same old techniques on me last month, they were very displeased to discover that I have teeth and if forced into a corner, I’ll fight back and not slink off to die the way I’m supposed to like everyone else. From the Bismarck Tribune:

Quote:
Bill Holzwarth feels like a marked man in the town of Beach, ND
He's taking heat in Beach for buying apartment houses, evicting the tenants and making an exclusive housing deal for employees of Power Fuels, an oil field service company.
Those who were displaced either moved away from town, or found somewhere else cheaper to live.
Now, I’d love to find somewhere else to live around here, but I’m being priced out by the oil and gas gang, so I filed a complaint against the two sociopathic yuppies, hiding out on their vast estate in some gated community in Durango. They were not at all pleased when they got their copy of the government forms letting them know that the Feds were interested in watching the show, so they retaliated by throwing out the other person around here who might have rights under the Fair Housing Act, my 68 year-old neighbor whose health is not the best and has no where to go but the streets. He was given an “Order to Vacate” by September 30 with the flimsiest excuse I’ve ever seen. His notice was dated the same date as the slumlords received their copy of my complaint. Co-incidence, maybe? I think NOT. Again from the Trib:

Quote:
"It would be unfortunate if North Dakota found itself in the same situation as Colorado, where there is no housing for the low wage earner," she said. "I hope we're able to figure it out before we get there."

In Beach, Holzwarth's most outspoken critic is local businessman Jerry DeMartin.

He said someone has to speak up for the single mother of a 4-year-old boy who Holzwarth evicted and the widow whose rent he doubled.

DeMartin said a lack of decency toward others changes the character of a community.
"I've got nothing against making an honest buck in the oil industry," DeMartin said. "This is not illegal, but it's not morally honest. There's no honor in putting someone out in the street. That little kid just lost his bedroom where he sleeps at night."
Precisely! Me and my neighbor are looking at being homeless in the next two weeks, and I feel just terrible that he got caught in the cross fire between me and the sociopaths to whom Durango offers a sheltering haven. That town hasn’t gone to the dogs (dogs are too noble for the place it’s become), Durango has gone to the snakes, just like Mr. DeMartin said, “a lack of decency toward others changes the character of a community.” What’s up with a town that would allow such atrocities to happen? Is it now the latest thing for Yuppies from Durango to come to Cortez, get all kinds of free goodies for themselves off the backs of senior citizens like Montie or disabled people like me, then kick us out with winter coming on? That’s attempted murder, bottom line. Montie will never survive winter on the streets. And I won’t be having much fun myself, camped out on public lands west of town, trying to stay warm. And watching the Halliburton people drive past.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:41 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,986,183 times
Wink To the snakes

I've heard that the options for someone like this with limited means is the community shelter. With the constituents of that the terminally alcoholic, schizophrenic, and entertainment provided in the usual knife fights. But only for twelve hours a day. Come 8am and one is out on the street and into the cold (presumably -10 or whatever it might be) for the next twelve.

Some might find that kind of rough. But apparently the status quo in our capitalistic society. The merits of that of course could be debated. And for the more independent and stalwart among us, perhaps allowing any taxpayer assistance to anyone is beyond the pale.

One might also reflect that the economic booms that favor some will have a downside for others. These young oil workers with fat paychecks may want to avoid sinking all of it now into new pickups, beer, and sky high rent. At some point they may find themselves 68, without such an income—and evicted.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:49 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,097 times
I hear a whole lot of crying.

If the oil boom has caused rents to go up, why don't you get a high-wage job in the oil industry?

And for the 68-year old guy on fixed income, why didn't he buy a house in Cortez 30 years ago? Why is he still renting?

Old 09-19-2013, 12:13 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post

If the oil boom has caused rents to go up, why don't you get a high-wage job in the oil industry?

And for the 68-year old guy on fixed income, why didn't he buy a house in Cortez 30 years ago? Why is he still renting?
Did you fail to comprehend that the OP is disabled, and no longer young?? Check out her other thread for more enlightenment, and then perhaps you'll have more compassion for her situation. As well as Monte's.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:09 PM

1,742 posts, read 3,116,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
I've heard that the options for someone like this with limited means is the community shelter. With the constituents of that the terminally alcoholic, schizophrenic, and entertainment provided in the usual knife fights. But only for twelve hours a day. Come 8am and one is out on the street and into the cold (presumably -10 or whatever it might be) for the next twelve.

Some might find that kind of rough. But apparently the status quo in our capitalistic society. The merits of that of course could be debated. And for the more independent and stalwart among us, perhaps allowing any taxpayer assistance to anyone is beyond the pale.

One might also reflect that the economic booms that favor some will have a downside for others. These young oil workers with fat paychecks may want to avoid sinking all of it now into new pickups, beer, and sky high rent. At some point they may find themselves 68, without such an income—and evicted.
It's called capitalism. Supply and demand - the oldest market force.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post

This is one reason why I'm so PO'ed. Out here (and in other places), the oil & gas outfits come complete with their own crews from elsewhere. There is little local hiring except for a few scruffy minimum wage type scraps. The landlords and bar owners and Domino's pizza benefit, but very few others.

@Idunn

For the reasons you outlined, the shelter here is no shelter as far as I'm concerned. But since Montie has no car, that's what he's stuck with. For any number of reasons that I won't go into, Montie and I would not make a very good team, camped out together on the BLM. So, between the two of us, Montie will have the worst experience, and I don't see him making it through the winter under such conditions.

Me, I'm a tough Colorado gal and have been fiercely independent right from the git go. I know how to dig in and set myself up to face the coming cold out there in Canyon of the Ancients. Cowgirls don't cry, but even THIS Cowgirl is not pleased at the prospect of camping out in the elements in December and January. But I'll manage. Montie most likely won't.

By retaliating against a completely innocent, at risk gentleman in a war that was MY battle with the slumlords, they have unleashed what a friend calls my "Wrath of God" mode. I won't rest easy until Montie has a safe, warm place to stay for the winter. How dare a couple of people from Cali and NYC show up and start throwing out Colorado natives like Montie - who grew up on a ranch just north of Cortez. SOMEONE has to speak out!

*** Great! My first entry in Ramblers "Meanest Poster on the CD Colorado Forum Contest." Here's the rules:

A) Stupid/ignorant questions count double.
B) Posts that are just all-around mean count triple.
C) Replies will be evaluated for their over-all content and how many like minded forum members a clueless post can draw into the fray.
D) You will be notified by rep points comment on your status in the contest.
E) The contest will close when I feel like closing it, and the winner will have the option of attaching the tiltle "Meanest poster on the Colorado Forum" to their username.

Good luck, everyone!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-20-2013 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: remove excess space

Old 09-19-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
It's called capitalism. Supply and demand - the oldest market force.
You bet, and I have no problem with the concept itself. However, "supply and demand" and the like should not be the sole basis on which we define what are acceptable moral values in our American Society. Those who wish to implement social Darwinism would be best served by a study of the third word countries where such ideas are in effect, carried out. This is the United States Of America, not Rwanda. If you like Rwanda so much, move there. Your post above qualifies you for entry in the "Meanest Poster" contest. Congratulations and good luck in the contest.

BTW, I'm requesting that replies along the lines of the one above be saved for the Politics Forum or such-like. This thread is about what happens when crews working for the various carbon-based outfits crowd out the local people in Colorado's rural areas, along with the absentee or other landlords who come along to pick over the bones. Tea party members feel free to start a discussion of Ayn Rand's delusional thinking in some other thread.

Yours,
Rambler

Last edited by Colorado Rambler; 09-19-2013 at 05:11 PM..

Old 09-19-2013, 05:40 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
This thread is a great example of how government corrupts the individual and individual freedom & personal property rights. You have one party dependent on government for the quality of their home heating, the view out the windows and their rent and another individual who owns the property and uses government funding to improve the property. And then there is the rest of us on the hook for $17 Trillion and another $90 Trillion in unfunded liabilities. You have one person that demands and believes it is their right to live where they want and set the price for it and another party with personal property that chooses to set the rate they charge to rent it to recoup their investment and both demand or have taken subsidizing by the taxpayer to do so. The taxpayer is the battered, abused group in the middle.

The answer at the core is the individual, not government meddling in our lives to this manner. As long as people continue to view the government as the source of all life, wealth and fairness, we will continue to spiral into oblivion. In this drive and march towards a utopian state, you will only see more people like this shocked and appalled that the government can't support their lifestyle and has diminishing means to do.

I have a great friend in Colorado this all reminds me of. Wonderful person who I was roommates with a few times in Vail. For many years he made good money and was a good saver too. But he'd save up a certain sum of money, quit his job and then go to Mexico, sit on the beach and blow all his money. He'd roll back into town with $6 to his name(yes really) and he'd get his job back and land in employee housing. There were a lot of times he ended up camping on BLM land for months or sleeping in his car too. Finally over the years his health went down hill and he is now a ward of the government collecting social security and whatever he can get from the taxpayer and is now completely dependent. Living in his car from time to time as well.

He could have keep his money in his 401K, could have used his frugal saving skills and saved up a nice nut to retire on and have a small house and done so with no problem. But he made the choices he did and if we are going to have a free society then that has to be respected. Now he's ended up old and broke, but he made the choices he did and there are consequences that government can only do so much to minimize.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
You bet, and I have no problem with the concept itself. However, "supply and demand" and the like should not be the sole basis on which we define what are acceptable moral values in our American Society. Those who wish to implement social Darwinism would be best served by a study of the third word countries where such ideas are in effect, carried out. This is the United States Of America, not Rwanda. If you like Rwanda so much, move there. Your post above qualifies you for entry in the "Meanest Poster" contest. Congratulations and good luck in the contest.

BTW, I'm requesting that replies along the lines of the one above be saved for the Politics Forum or such-like. This thread is about what happens when crews working for the various carbon-based outfits crowd out the local people in Colorado's rural areas, along with the absentee or other landlords who come along to pick over the bones. Tea party members feel free to start a discussion of Ayn Rand's delusional thinking in some other thread.

Yours,
Rambler
For a long time you complained about the dearth of jobs in the area and now there is economic activity and jobs, that's all bad now.

To me I'd rather have higher rent and have a job than no job and low rent paid for by someone else.

At the end of the day if we respect personal property rights in this country, people have a right to charge for the use of their property whatever they see fit. Don't like it, pack up the truck and roll down the road to somewhere else.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post

This is one reason why I'm so PO'ed. Out here (and in other places), the oil & gas outfits come complete with their own crews from elsewhere. There is little local hiring except for a few scruffy minimum wage type scraps. The landlords and bar owners and Domino's pizza benefit, but very few others.

For the reasons you outlined, the shelter here is no shelter as far as I'm concerned. But since Montie has no car, that's what he's stuck with. For any number of reasons that I won't go into, Montie and I would not make a very good team, camped out together on the BLM. So, between the two of us, Montie will have the worst experience, and I don't see him making it through the winter under such conditions.

Me, I'm a tough Colorado gal and have been fiercely independent right from the git go. I know how to dig in and set myself up to face the coming cold out there in Canyon of the Ancients. Cowgirls don't cry, but even THIS Cowgirl is not pleased at the prospect of camping out in the elements in December and January. But I'll manage. Montie most likely won't.

By retaliating against a completely innocent, at risk gentleman in a war that was MY battle with the slumlords, they have unleashed what a friend calls my "Wrath of God" mode. I won't rest easy until Montie has a safe, warm place to stay for the winter. How dare a couple of people from Cali and NYC show up and start throwing out Colorado natives like Montie - who grew up on a ranch just north of Cortez. SOMEONE has to speak out!
True that often these crews come from elsewhere but they did come from somewhere and there isn't anything to stop a local learning a trade and getting on with these crews. In addition usually these companies do have some local hiring as well for different jobs. And baring that there is economic stimulus involved when these companies are around. Hotels, restaurants, supermarkets, etc all do well with having people around spending money.

If you are "fiercely independent", then why are you taking money and subsidized housing from the government?

At the end of the day this couple owns this property and they can do whatever they want to it, including bulldozing it to the ground or leaving it vacant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado