U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 11:21 AM

834 posts, read 2,513,329 times

Advertisements

Hi Colorado:
We're visiting Vail for NYE holiday with friends and family. I've been to Vail once before but just for work, so didn't get to be out in the snow much. We're staying at a ski hotel and plan on skiing most days. Wanted to ask about jackets, pants, etc. I live in TX so heavy jackets are not needed here much. My skiing jacket from 2005 has "shrunk", hehehe. I would like not to have to spend another fortune on a jacket. The only time I've been skiing was in Utah in March, so I know Vail in January will be much colder.

Jacket: I saw a good 3-1 weatherproof jacket from Eddie Bauer for a good price. It does have several pockets (chest, arm warmers) but no ventilation zippers (probably OK with me). I saw a similar 3-in-1 for my 6 year old at Columbia. Would these be good enough? Or do we need one of those skiing brands better? From my last experience in Utah, people would be going around town wearing their ski jackets...is Vail the same way? (would save me room in my suitcase if I only need to carry 1 heavy jacket).

I'm searching for kid snow boots, any brands that are preferred?

Base layers: We're planning on getting base layers and we already have fleece-lined ski pants. Getting smartwool socks and a few merino wool base layers. Any other affordable brands that you would recommend? I have a few pieces that I've used for running in our mild winter - would those work also?

I'm shopping locally for gloves, hats to ensure a good fit. Again, if there is a particular brand you would recommend I would appreciate your comment.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 11:46 AM

9,845 posts, read 21,027,598 times
Once you get into December and January, it's the coldest time of the year, so certainly be prepared. It's also a time of year with the least amount of sunlight available. The sun doesn't hit Vail village until 9AM and is gone by 4 PM. I seen weather at that time of year where there are beautiful cold days and other times where it just snows and snows for days at a time.

I'm not into recommending clothes, what people like or don't like is a personal choice. Some brands don't work for some people. The way I look at it is be well prepared for cold and snowy weather but do not overdo it. If for some reason you feel you need to add a piece of clothing there are tons of shops available selling every imaginable thing to outfit you. I still have a 15 year old Descente ski jacket and would buy that brand again.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:56 AM

16,433 posts, read 25,255,121 times
Default Cold

National and Local Weather Forecast, Hurricane, Radar and Report

The AVERAGE daily range is from 0° F to 31° F.
The record lows are so cold you will not go onto the slopes. (One year we when to Vail and it was -23 for the high.)

Old 10-15-2013, 01:57 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,058,655 times
I'm guessing the 3 in 1 type jackets will be ideal. They should be plenty warm enough, and as long as they have some kind of water resistant/proof shell, you will be happy. If they are like my jacket I ski in, you can unzip the inner layer and wear it as a base around town if you don't need the shell, and conversely, you can just wear the shell if you only need light protection. Seems like a good coat for your needs. You will certainly get away with just wearing that type of jacket around town too. While there might be some high end clients, most people are in Vail to ski, so ski wear is common. I bought my jacket at REI, so you might check there as well. You can find good base layers there too.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:22 PM

3,483 posts, read 8,227,837 times
Wearing your ski jacket around town is the norm. You might check Sierra Trading Post for some deals, the pedestrian streets in Vail are heated, so warm boots are good but you don't need them to be extreme a good tread is always helpful. If you are driving up from Denver you can stop at Costco and pick up a case of foot and hand warmers to share, there is also a Costco in Gypsum next to the Eagle-Vail airport if that's your destination.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:55 AM

85 posts, read 185,743 times
You could always stop in to the Columbia outlet in Silverthorne. They have everything you need. It's good quality gear, and dirt cheap compared to what you'd pay in Vail. You can usually pick up ski jackets for around $100, pants for $50, and gloves are generally in the $30 range. A lot of times they run buy one get one 50% off sales.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:04 PM

1,123 posts, read 2,793,232 times
Layers. Layers. Layers.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:01 PM

97 posts, read 135,771 times
Layers, high performance long johns, and 3 in one jacket you set.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:10 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,898,400 times
Microfiber under garments, cotton kills.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:02 AM

2,483 posts, read 3,977,831 times
Search tool. Search tool. Search tool.

Last edited by otterprods; 10-22-2013 at 10:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado