Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 05:02 PM

599 posts, read 953,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
Goodyear Duratrac Tires or BFG All-Terrain KOs for all year round, don't need dedicated snow or off-road tires especially in a pick-up. Some snow chains wouldn't be a bad idea though for when it's really bad

Both of these tires are great choices.

Get Load Range "E" tires, or a Load Range "D" if you can find one with a three-ply sidewall. Ripping out a sidewall in the backcountry will ruin your day, and sharp rocks are everywhere in Colorado. You would be shocked to know how thin the sidewall is on many Load Range "C" truck tires or the highly discouraged "P" tires.

You didn't say whether your truck has a limited slip rear end. Most people don't realize that a "4 Wheel Drive" vehicle will only drive two wheels at a time in slippery conditions unless you have some help in the differentials. Most pickups (but not all) will at least have limited slip in the rear (Ford calls it Traction-Lok).

Offroad oriented vehicles will have a mechanical diff lock (usually just referred to as a "locker") in the rear, and in the case of the Wrangler Rubicon, in the front, also. You can get by without a mechanical locker in most situations (if you have never driven a lot off road you probably won't miss it), but I personally wouldn't own a 4x4 that didn't at least have limited slip in the rear. Unfortunately, it is a lot of money to retrofit even a limited slip, let alone a mechanical locker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 05:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
A cheap used topper ($150) that can handle a few dents. Light enough to remove, yet keeps stuff dry and can be a place to escape the weather. I like a couple LOW racks on top to haul long pipe, rebar, and lumber.

I would add a receiver hitch to the front and rear and bring a 10,000# gear reduction electric winch (~$400 used) that mounts frt or rear, and 2-3 snatch blocks . This can save your bacon when solo off-road. It is SO EZ to get on a slick / slimey incline and have frt end pull you off the trail. (Hope you have hubs that you can manually lock in or out).

Tires with HD sidewalls is essential, as is at least 1 pr of "V-bar" chains. (preferably a whole set)

With an Auto Tranny consider upgrading your rear brakes (if drum) to disc, or the type of shoes that have pads instead of complete binding. it can be TOUGH coming DOWN. Need to be able to COOL off.

Do carry the 'all-weather' kit with candles for heat and containers for water. I like to have a tall orange Bicycle flag to spot me in a drift!.

Fetch one or two of those 'Off-Road' hi-lift jacks ~ 4'.($20 at garage sale) They can help get you away from that friendly TREE on the center of your downhill side.

Oh, ya... a HD tow strap or a couple 20' log chains for towing, and a hydraulic jack.

By summer... add a $100 aux tranny cooler

Old 10-18-2013, 04:55 AM

802 posts, read 984,230 times
as the information grows and research progresses, i'm beginning to get a picture of the range of options and possibilities available, along with risk/reward/expense factors. the strategy and budget emerging suggests the wisdom of longer-term, multi-year planning. the first year will be like a freshman experience, traveling the well-worn trails as i accumulate gear and knowledge. these initial treks will also teach me to see beyond the surface impressions and scenery of tourism, preparing me for the second and later years of the expedition. i have much to learn and this state should be a good teacher if i make a sincere effort to listen and look. there will always be a small voice urging the less cautious approach of just diving into the wilderness to make do with whatever is at hand.

i like the idea of starting out with a hard tonneau cover as a simple, effective means of securing less urgent gear outside the cab, while maintaining a 360 degree view and providing stretch-out weather protection when a tent isn't suitable. i'm drawn to the less conventional styles of diy slide-ins, tiny trailers and utility trailer modifications as down-the-road options. a lot of the old, wornout, cheap toppers, slideins, and trailers on craigslist are attractive low-budget throwaway options. As a current apartment dweller, trailer storage is a factor, as is the requirement for one old man to lift and manage everything.

Last edited by highplainsrus; 10-18-2013 at 05:40 AM..

Old 10-18-2013, 05:54 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
The most important thing I have not seen posted yet.

You better make sure with 110K that the engine, tranny, differentials, transfer case, steering gear/pump, water pump, oil pump, radiator, transmission cooler, entire brake system etc... all get a good going thru before setting off on any excursions into the backcountry most of the time a full day or more walk to the nearest paved road in dry non snow conditons. I've traveled all over the Western Colorado backcountry for the last 20 years during deer/elk hunting season through all weather conditions. THE ONE THING that needs to be 100% is your vehicle. It could be a matter of life or death.

I've seen old as well as new vehicles break down because their owner thought the fluids, tires and belts looked good but did nothing else for maintenance. You may have all the right gear and be well versed in backcountry travel/living but if your vehicle gives out at the wrong time it really could be a life challenging event.

Yup it may cost a few thousand but it will be worth it.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:51 AM

802 posts, read 984,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post

You better make sure with 110K that the engine, tranny, differentials, transfer case, steering gear/pump, water pump, oil pump, radiator, transmission cooler, entire brake system etc... all get a good going thru before setting off on any excursions into the backcountry most of the time a full day or more walk to the nearest paved road in dry non snow conditons. I've traveled all over the Western Colorado backcountry for the last 20 years during deer/elk hunting season through all weather conditions. THE ONE THING that needs to be 100% is your vehicle. It could be a matter of life or death.

I've seen old as well as new vehicles break down because their owner thought the fluids, tires and belts looked good but did nothing else for maintenance. You may have all the right gear and be well versed in backcountry travel/living but if your vehicle gives out at the wrong time it really could be a life challenging event.

I absolutely agree. On one hand, I am encouraged by having the seller of the truck as owning a mechanic shop just down the road. On the other hand, it would be good to have a second opinion from a different mechanic or even, heaven forbid, the dealership's supposed expertise. on the third hand, that first thousand dollars has to cover a lot of basic ground, just to get me on the road, even if only well-paved. on the fourth hand, it takes some time to learn the intricacies and weaknesses in any vehicle. i spent the last several years, a lot of money and many busted knuckles learning to keep a 270k mi Honda Accord on the road. at least, i can crawl under this bad boy without jacking it up and the engine compartment has a lot of elbow room.

That brings up mundane issues of all-weather, all-terrain footwear/clothing and backpack survival supplies. It also emphasizes the importance of NOT going backcountry if not prepared for breakdown.

as for tires, i'm wondering what to do with the spare. in the past, i've generally just used the best of the worn ones as spare, letting the tire dealer toss out the others. now, I'm thinking to immediately rotate all the old tires, including the spare. the odd tire out goes in the cab for now. then shopping for a new, full set of five of the most rugged available to get through the first winter/spring. new spare would go under the tonneau or in the topper (one reason not to get a slidein, furnished camper). if not suitable for summer roaming, replace and store the rugged tires. a storage facility will be necessary anyway until I can relocate to a house. i hate lugging stuff up and down apt stairs.

Last edited by highplainsrus; 10-18-2013 at 07:03 AM..

Old 10-18-2013, 10:13 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highplainsrus View Post
I absolutely agree. On one hand, I am encouraged by having the seller of the truck as owning a mechanic shop just down the road. .
Famous last words come to mind.

In that case I wouldnt take that thing off road for at least six months and a complete rebuild.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:51 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,986,755 times
Wink In company

Those not having tried it before will probably find the nights long when away from home and all accustomed. A few days camping trip with friends is one thing, and likely full of activity. But week after month largely on one's own is a different matter.

Everyone will have their individual preferences. And just a good book or two will come in handy. Although one might wish to consider some options towards modern communications. Something like an iPad could be welcome, and possible a great deal of media stored on it. Although with internet reception the world then at one's touch—even if well lost out in the woods. Satellite television is possible as well.

One may not think as much, but when the sun has set as 6pm and a full night until dawn beckons (or looms) some diversion may be welcome.

High-speed Internet, cellular reception

Old 10-18-2013, 01:10 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post

^This. Also carry spare parts for the starting system. Ford trucks run like stink...WHEN they start. Have a spare starter & tools to change it. Also a spare battery, serpentine belt, relays and fuses...and KNOW how to change them in the field.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoalimony View Post

Offroad oriented vehicles will have a mechanical diff lock (usually just referred to as a "locker") in the rear, and in the case of the Wrangler Rubicon, in the front, also. You can get by without a mechanical locker in most situations (if you have never driven a lot off road you probably won't miss it), but I personally wouldn't own a 4x4 that didn't at least have limited slip in the rear. Unfortunately, it is a lot of money to retrofit even a limited slip, let alone a mechanical locker.
His F150 probably has open diffs. It would cost a lot to retrofit lockers. However, a better and cheaper alternative would be a winch. If you do happen to get stuck spinning a wheel due to the open diffs, you can winch off a tree and get traction again. A winch is a MUST for anyone off-roading without friends to pull them out.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highplainsrus View Post

as for tires, i'm wondering what to do with the spare. in the past, i've generally just used the best of the worn ones as spare, letting the tire dealer toss out the others. now, I'm thinking to immediately rotate all the old tires, including the spare. the odd tire out goes in the cab for now. then shopping for a new, full set of five of the most rugged available to get through the first winter/spring. new spare would go under the tonneau or in the topper (one reason not to get a slidein, furnished camper). if not suitable for summer roaming, replace and store the rugged tires. a storage facility will be necessary anyway until I can relocate to a house. i hate lugging stuff up and down apt stairs.
If you can afford the cost of a fifth tire, its best to rotate all five regularly. This will not only keep everything even, but also extend the life of your tires another 10k miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado