Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2013, 06:32 PM

16 posts, read 51,347 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Are there any parents/students out there familiar with Castle View High School? We are moving to the area and my son would start there next fall as a sophomore. How are the teachers, academics, workload, and are the students welcoming? Is the school mainly sports oriented or are there enough clubs/activities to join? Thanks for any information you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 11:25 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,124,244 times
I am not a fan of Douglas County. This is well-documented.

Here is what one recent Castle View graduate and Boettcher Scholar wrote:

In Douglas County, this is not what a world-class education looks like

A few weeks ago, DC voters reaffirmed the conservative school board agenda by electing/reelecting conservative candidates. Things will only get worse.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:50 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
I am not a fan of Douglas County. This is well-documented.

Here is what one recent Castle View graduate and Boettcher Scholar wrote:

In Douglas County, this is not what a world-class education looks like

A few weeks ago, DC voters reaffirmed the conservative school board agenda by electing/reelecting conservative candidates. Things will only get worse.
IIRC, the fascist Koch Bros put money into the recent Douglas County school board elections to assure the continued wrecking of public education in favor of privatized schools where there are no unions. The boy who wrote that piece in the Denver Post accurately describe the desired outcome the Kochs seek.

The father of the Koch Bros (Fred) was one of the founders of the John Birch Society, considered a radical fringe of conservatism that is anti-government, anti-communist, pro-religion, anti-immigration, anti-civil rights act, anti-free trade, strongly anti-union and IMO a danger to us all.

Better school districts for the OP might be Jefferson County, Boulder Valley, Cherry Creek, maybe others.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:19 PM

599 posts, read 953,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
IIRC, the fascist Koch Bros put money into the recent Douglas County school board elections to assure the continued wrecking of public education in favor of privatized schools where there are no unions. The boy who wrote that piece in the Denver Post accurately describe the desired outcome the Kochs seek.

The father of the Koch Bros (Fred) was one of the founders of the John Birch Society, considered a radical fringe of conservatism that is anti-government, anti-communist, pro-religion, anti-immigration, anti-civil rights act, anti-free trade, strongly anti-union and IMO a danger to us all.

Better school districts for the OP might be Jefferson County, Boulder Valley, Cherry Creek, maybe others.
Jeffco might have been an option before the elections a few weeks ago, but candidates with the exact same agenda as Douglas County now hold the majority on the school board. The very highly respected superintendent resigned, and now Jeffco will be flushed down the same toilet Douglas has gone down...it is very sad.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,824 times
cbtj
Im moving to the Castle Rock or Parker area as well this June (Company relo) I've read, blogs, opinion pages , CNN reports etc and its all overwhelming. I've found the polarity is across the board based on issues important to each individual family. I haven't selected a school yet either (my sons are 12/ entering 7th & 14 / entering sophomore ) I was able to get accepted at two Charter schools (STEM and SKY VIEW Academy) that have either 5 stars or 1 stars on Greatschools community reviews. Honestly, I dont trust that these are a great fit either.

I have counseled youth over the last few years and the friendliness factor is a big issue for teenagers raised in today's cyber community. Moving is really hard too on those who are not especially athletic. My sons have played every sport under the sun and music lessons since they were 5. They don't have a passion for sports so I encourage them in what they are into (as long as its safe of course!) . Let me know if you are able to get any good info about any of this because I am at my wits end trying to decipher what people are trying to say about the "conservative vs. liberal" agendas in Dougals County. -- Please also free to message me privately as I am a mom who understands this stress !!!

Old 02-06-2014, 10:01 AM

16 posts, read 51,347 times
Hi Jeanette,

I have checked out the Greatschools reviews as well and many of the posts in this forum. I'm not sure what to make of the Douglas County school system reports. Some people are very passionate about it and some dismiss it. I agree that the teen years are a difficult time to move and one of the hardest decision we have had to make about our move which is also a company relo. We are mostly likely a year away from making the move but trying to do as much research as possible now to be prepare. We are debating mainly between the Castle Rock and Monument areas at this point in time. We had considered Conifer or Evergreen which seem to have what we want except for more snow than we would care to deal with. Very big decisions, keep in touch and let me know how you make out. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado