Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 12:42 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,917,397 times

Advertisements

There's a reason why Nicola Telsa decided that Colorado Springs was a great place to research energy and wireless energy (I think that's correct - not all the information is clear as I am not a scientist).

Anyhow, while he wasn't here a long time, his research was sort of based based on the frequent thunderstorms we have here.

Google him with "colorado springs" and you will find all kinds of interesting information on him and his experiments here in C Springs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 06:57 AM

9 posts, read 30,426 times
Well Grand Lake gets plenty of weather to watch, but that's for the couple of months of summer you actually get there. This county is noted for rarities such as snowing while thundering and lightning. Sunshine out and dumping rain, things like that, so if you're interested in changing weather in a matter of minutes this be the place.
This whole county gets plenty of nasty storms sometimes that are gone as fast as they got here. At least I've not seen any hurricanes or tornados, that's one of it's good qualities.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:28 AM

60 posts, read 180,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEKAFIED View Post
Well Grand Lake gets plenty of weather to watch, but that's for the couple of months of summer you actually get there. This county is noted for rarities such as snowing while thundering and lightning. Sunshine out and dumping rain, things like that, so if you're interested in changing weather in a matter of minutes this be the place.
This whole county gets plenty of nasty storms sometimes that are gone as fast as they got here. At least I've not seen any hurricanes or tornados, that's one of it's good qualities.
We also experienced thunder snow in Green Bay WI,.....that's a treat.
So far, our first winter here in Grand Lake, has been mild compared to GB.
Thanks for the comment.
~Blue Sky~

Old 01-17-2008, 11:54 AM

9 posts, read 30,426 times
So I gather you're living in Grand Lake then, that's way cool. I live in Granby and it's been pretty damn cold. If it's your first full winter in Grand Lake you'll find it neat come spring when the lake breaks ice. It moans and used to be called spirit lake because the Indians used to say the spirits of spring were awakening, it's really awesome to hear.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:40 PM

129 posts, read 557,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
A major hailstorm that hit Denver in 1990 was, at the time, the second most expensive single-storm natural disaster in dollars of damage up until that time.

Tornadoes are rare from the foothills west, and relatively uncommon in the Front Range metro areas, though they do occur on occasion.

I remember that hail storm. (I was 9 at the time. ) EVERYONE had to have their roof replaced that year. For some reason the thing that sticks in my head about that storm were the people at Elitch's who were stuck on the ferris wheel through the whole thing. They were pretty banged up, though I don't think there were any severe injuries.

As a kid I was terrified of tornadoes. Ironic, being that I lived in the foothills and we never actually had one. I did see a funnel cloud once, which in retrospect was kind of cool. At the time it was apparently phobia inducing.

I got over it when I moved to Wisconsin and we had about 15 tornado warnings in a summer. The first few freaked me out, but then I adopted the "chicken little" attitude of locals, who know that a tornado warning rarely results in an actual tornado tearing up your house.

I've definitely been on a chairlift in thunder snow thinking "oh this is NOT good."

Old 01-17-2008, 10:18 PM

60 posts, read 180,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nique View Post
I remember that hail storm. (I was 9 at the time. ) EVERYONE had to have their roof replaced that year. For some reason the thing that sticks in my head about that storm were the people at Elitch's who were stuck on the ferris wheel through the whole thing. They were pretty banged up, though I don't think there were any severe injuries.

As a kid I was terrified of tornadoes. Ironic, being that I lived in the foothills and we never actually had one. I did see a funnel cloud once, which in retrospect was kind of cool. At the time it was apparently phobia inducing.

I got over it when I moved to Wisconsin and we had about 15 tornado warnings in a summer. The first few freaked me out, but then I adopted the "chicken little" attitude of locals, who know that a tornado warning rarely results in an actual tornado tearing up your house.

I've definitely been on a chairlift in thunder snow thinking "oh this is NOT good."
LOL...thunder snow while on a chair lift, yikes!

Old 03-09-2014, 06:56 PM

3 posts, read 4,588 times
Default Does Denver get intense thunderstorms?

Does Denver get intense thunderstorms? Yes, in the summer, Denver CAN get intense thunderstorms. 2011 was very intense. I live in southeast Aurora, Co and we got many tornado warnings. Lightning is very prominent in any part of southeast aurora. The thunder can be a problem sometimes as it can be loud enough to feel a shake inside of your house. Tornadoes arent that common in the Denver area itself. Last year, DIA or Denver International Airport saw a weak tornado. It did not cause any damage, but as you head towards the eastern plains and the eastern suburbs of Denver, then you can get a bit more tornado warnings than the friends out west near the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. Hope this will help.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:03 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,905 times
The thread returns to life after 6 years.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:45 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,938,652 times
^^^

Elvis has left the building, but it's still raining in Memphis and thunderstorms are possible.

What's with all these old threads getting resurrected lately, anyhow? Maybe this should be the "Zombierado" forum.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:20 PM

133 posts, read 486,523 times
This is a really good thread to see revived, for storm geeques like me. I love thunderstorms, even love tornadoes, absolutely adore thundersnow!! I'm one of those who will go out on the balcony and watch the storms rolling in until the rain or the lightning gets too strong to be out there.

Hoping for a few really rip-roaring mountain type storms this summer out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado