Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 10:25 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,475 times

Advertisements

Denver to Dallas direct on Southwest, a dozen flights a day. You can't get much closer to Texas than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 06:25 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,874 times
Santa Fe has your criteria, except housing less than $200K.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:56 AM

57 posts, read 99,342 times
The Colorado Foothills, Golden, Evergreen, Morrison, Conifer, Indian HIlls, Idledale, Kitteridge and maybe even Bailey but may be too far out for you. I would recommend that you use the following local website provided by our local MLS service. recolorado.com.. up to date and you can search by using the map feature. Narrow down by entering your price range as well.
Good luck!!

Old 12-13-2013, 10:33 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,021 times
Here are all the possible cities I can find, and I used a map. Included is the biggest source (IMO) of potential conflict with your list of requirements.

Boise, ID (religious influence/distance to texas are biggest concerns) - also very low rain
Denver / Colorado Springs / Pueblo ( you might find some areas of CS to be "cookie cutter" ) Around 17inches/year in rain
ALBQ - Beautiful housing, shorter trips to see family, excellent four season weather (if you don't mind a dry 90 in summer)
OKC / Tulsa - Close to Texas, both great cities, four seasons, mild winters (summers hot, more humid than ABQ)
SLC -
PHX - Lack of rain / sounds like you don't like very hot places (I don't know housing prices in PHX)

Pros for the above cities
Boise, ID - Usually nice outside, friendly area
Denver / Colorado Springs / Pueblo - Excellent four season weather, thunderstorms are plentiful in summer
ALBQ (very low rain is biggest concern, has a higher crime rate than other areas suggested, but is a great city)
OKC / Tulsa Very near Texas. Very affordable housing. Dramatically more rain than other options. (36 inches in OKC, 40 in Tulsa)
SLC - Good 4 season, but humidity gets higher than other mountain towns (inversion is not good)
PHX - Four different seasons, but they aren't as unique.

Based on those factors, I'd put the front range in Colorado, ABQ, and OKC/Tulsa at the top of the list for recommendations.

These clearly wouldn't work
Las Vegas - no rain / but lots of heat
Santa Fe - housing too expensive (way too expensive, if you like Santa Fe, take ABQ)
Las Cruces - Same issues as vegas
Anything on southern coast due to hot humid summers.
Any city inside of Texas is not included in this evaluation because it is assumed you already looked there.

Yeah, I know cities pretty well. Let me know what you decide on

Old 12-21-2013, 11:38 PM

6 posts, read 8,939 times
Wow, lurtsman, thanks much for the long and considered answer. I agree about Colorado, and it's on my short list. Tulsa is a bit too small for my work, and ABQ might be too dry. I'll be driving that way soon and will take a gander and check out how ABQ feels. Thanks again for the advice.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Mtns near ABQ might fit your needs.

SLC / Ogden / Logan is worth a look (and a SWA hub) I fly them often to my TX Hill Country home.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:50 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontfencemein View Post
Wow, lurtsman, thanks much for the long and considered answer. I agree about Colorado, and it's on my short list. Tulsa is a bit too small for my work, and ABQ might be too dry. I'll be driving that way soon and will take a gander and check out how ABQ feels. Thanks again for the advice.
NP, glad it helped. I've put together lists like this a few times and it doesn't take near as long as now

Let us know what you decide.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:45 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,161 times
I agree with the ABQ suggestion; and it's only an hour-ish to santa fe for a great day trip and its amenities [b/c while santa fe has its cons, it IS a pretty cool place in many ways, too]. And ABQ is a great city on its own!
You won't find Seattle outside of the PNW.
Fort Collins is a nice little college town, though much smaller than Seattle [that's your main factor-only Denver will compare in size, in the region. But FC is cheaper/mellower than Boulder, with many great 'only in CO' factors. CO, however, is very dry and brown. It's not high desert like NM, but the dryness factor feels the same in my experience (lived in the boulder area for 3 years).
Austin is always there, however....and then you're 'real close to Texas'(joke), and humidity/heat. But hey, humid=moisture, right? lol
ABQ for the win, IMO, especially if schools are not a concern.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:28 AM

57 posts, read 99,342 times
Woodland Park Co., comes to mind as well as SW Denver area.. that sf and price range is doable. Here's a website to look at. it's the same site that is used by Realtors and now available to the public and it's updated daily: Homes for Sale in Colorado | REcolorado

Good luck and Happy New Year

Old 01-07-2014, 12:14 PM

50 posts, read 76,074 times
If you are serious about Colorado, the number 1 place that I know of that fits all of those criteria is Manitou Springs -- provided you consider Colorado Springs a large urban area. But, even Denver is 90 minutes away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado