Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 12:41 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,011,781 times

Advertisements

@Joe....you can say it again Joe, because your words are right on the money.....Fear mongering nonsense!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 06:21 AM

2,887 posts, read 7,141,116 times
The first article in The Denver Post chronicling the experience of a Family-owned pot shop in Denver:
Quote:

In a warehouse district of northeast Denver, right next to a post office, the Williams family is building the Costco of weed.

Nine relatives from three generations work behind the bulletproof glass at Medicine Man, which opened in 2010, grew into one of the state's largest medical marijuana dispensaries and has aspirations of becoming a national brand if pot legalization continues its march. . .

On Green Wednesday, the family-owned pot shop passed its first big test.

EDITOR'S NOTE: This is the first in an occasional series of articles on Year One of recreational pot sales in Colorado told through the lens of one business. The Denver Post will revisit Medicine Man throughout the year to follow its progress and challenges.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:22 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,892,208 times
The local pot shop here in Ridgway is packed all the time. Parking lot pretty much all out of state plates.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:26 PM

802 posts, read 985,328 times
If the visitors don't leave with a bagful of Colorado-made hemp tshirts smelling of Blue Dream and Girl Scout Cookies, they're just not trying. Think of getting on the plane with that bag and getting it back home to show off at the next PTA meeting.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:11 AM

393 posts, read 410,084 times
Default has pot effected tourism

Not a prude....but....I'm wondering if the legalization has effected tourism either for good or bad. IMHO, when I was planning the family summer trip, I crossed out Colorado because of the new law. Not my scene man. Anyone notice anything, like an influx of volvo driving, granola eating, birk and hemp wearing, free loading, etc.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:27 AM

20,416 posts, read 14,701,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krug View Post
Not a prude....but....I'm wondering if the legalization has effected tourism either for good or bad. IMHO, when I was planning the family summer trip, I crossed out Colorado because of the new law. Not my scene man. Anyone notice anything, like an influx of volvo driving, granola eating, birk and hemp wearing, free loading, etc.
Nope, but then I live in Colorado Springs. We don't have recreational shops here. And I suppose if you want to make that call, that is on you, but you're overly believing all the hype. It's not really that big of a deal throughout most of the state. If you are ever seriously considering a family trip here and want to avoid that sort of thing, I'd recommend you avoid Manitou and Boulder, which have probably always been kind of like that...and maybe check out something secluded in the mountains.

It's still my firm belief that those who did it before still do...those who don't still don't...and it has had a relatively small impact on a few localities that have new shops in their immediate environs. There are still plenty of non-users happily living here in Colorado, raising kids, working jobs, living life unaffected and not caring what the stoners are doing.

But then I'm not scared of my kids laying eyes on hippies. We would probably laugh at them, we find 'em kind of silly and cute. It takes all kinds...

Old 02-27-2014, 04:18 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,947,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krug View Post
Exactly what are you worried about?

Old 02-27-2014, 05:49 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,011,781 times
krug wrote: Not a prude....but....I'm wondering if the legalization has effected tourism either for good or bad. IMHO, when I was planning the family summer trip, I crossed out Colorado because of the new law. Not my scene man. Anyone notice anything, like an influx of volvo driving, granola eating, birk and hemp wearing, free loading, etc.

At least 90% of the cars on Colorado roadways are now volvos. The other 10% are out of staters passing thru. Granola restaurants have sprung up all over the place ( rumor has it that a granola shorgage is just days away ). Birkenstock sandals and hemp clothing is now the only clothing available in Colorado.....for those who still wear clothing. All non-freeloaders have been deported. Colorado is now a state OF the freeloader, BY the freeloader, and FOR the freeloader.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:32 PM

166 posts, read 322,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
krug wrote: Not a prude....but....I'm wondering if the legalization has effected tourism either for good or bad. IMHO, when I was planning the family summer trip, I crossed out Colorado because of the new law. Not my scene man. Anyone notice anything, like an influx of volvo driving, granola eating, birk and hemp wearing, free loading, etc.

At least 90% of the cars on Colorado roadways are now volvos. The other 10% are out of staters passing thru. Granola restaurants have sprung up all over the place ( rumor has it that a granola shorgage is just days away ). Birkenstock sandals and hemp clothing is now the only clothing available in Colorado.....for those who still wear clothing. All non-freeloaders have been deported. Colorado is now a state OF the freeloader, BY the freeloader, and FOR the freeloader.
NOW thats funny.

Being a Volvo fan, I noticed an amazing amount on my visits to Colorado. I will make sure I am in a 4runner.

As far as will it help?? From what i can see tourism numbers are up this year. For some areas....some of the best years on record. Not sure if they meant total revenue..taxable dollars.....or vacancy percentage. Not sure if it is the legal green doing it....It might just be a great snow year...after a few that were slower.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:30 AM

2,887 posts, read 7,141,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post

It's like late 1960s - 1970s Boulder reincarnated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado