Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 10:30 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
You ever drink alcohol? How would you like to be terminated from your job for those two glasses of wine you enjoyed at the Olive Garden restaurant with your wife when you were out celebrating your guys' wedding anniversary a week ago?
I don't drink if there is any chance that I will be working before I would have a BAC of 0.0. I like my job and I don't intend to lose it because of drugs or alcohol. And I don't want to work with anyone in my workplace who is impaired on alcohol or drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 10:42 AM

11,253 posts, read 11,028,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I don't drink if there is any chance that I will be working before I would have a BAC of 0.0. I like my job and I don't intend to lose it because of drugs or alcohol. And I don't want to work with anyone in my workplace who is impaired on alcohol or drugs.
The point of my post went well over your head. Are you even remotely aware of how long THC remains traceable in the urine? Even the urine of someone who is just an occasional smoker?

Old 01-05-2014, 10:51 AM

84 posts, read 137,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainbluebear View Post
Could Colorado become the American Amsterdam?
For the next 5 months...perhaps. However. Washington state is legalizing in June. Those are the leader states doing it. In the next 2 years we'll see a lot more legalizing and I think by 2020 marijuana will most likely be legalized for the entire USA.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:52 AM

84 posts, read 137,415 times
Quote:
And I don't want to work with anyone in my workplace who is impaired on alcohol or drugs.
Do you worry about that now? No?? Then I highly doubt it'll be a legitimate concern in the future.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:43 PM

40 posts, read 179,016 times
Quote:
I don't drink if there is any chance that I will be working before I would have a BAC of 0.0. I like my job and I don't intend to lose it because of drugs or alcohol.
ditchlights said "a week ago", referring to the fact that THC can still be detectable in the blood stream for days, even weeks after consuming cannabis, even though the effects have long worn off. If alcohol worked this same way, and you work every week, then you would never drink since you would always be at risk of losing your job. Ergo, you drink alcohol because you can change your consciousness without threatening your income.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
And I don't want to work with anyone in my workplace who is impaired on alcohol or drugs.
Well, I don't want to work with anyone that constantly pushes their religious and/or political beliefs on me, but there doesn't seem to be a law against that.

If I smoke a bowl of cannabis the night before work, I will not be impaired at work the next day. You really want to try to convince me that someone can get drunk the night before, show up for work the next morning seriously hung over, but is not "impaired"? (even though this person can pass a blood alcohol test!)

Old 01-05-2014, 01:41 PM

11,253 posts, read 11,028,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alostbard View Post
ditchlights said "a week ago", referring to the fact that THC can still be detectable in the blood stream for days, even weeks after consuming cannabis, even though the effects have long worn off. If alcohol worked this same way, and you work every week, then you would never drink since you would always be at risk of losing your job. Ergo, you drink alcohol because you can change your consciousness without threatening your income.
Thanks bard. I didn't think I needed to go into that much description, but then again, I'm known for often times giving people much more credit than they deserve. I think he knows exactly what I was getting at, though, and arguing with people like that is like trying to talk common sense to a religious fundamentalist.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Thanks bard. I didn't think I needed to go into that much description, but then again, I'm known for often times giving people much more credit than they deserve. I think he knows exactly what I was getting at, though, and arguing with people like that is like trying to talk common sense to a religious fundamentalist.
Simple minds require simple words to understand simple concepts.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:53 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,721,664 times
Narcs can even smoke it on the job, like when they are wanting to be trusted as a non-narc, to make a purchase, they smoke it to get the trust of the person they plan to arrest. The retired narc who told about that said when he retired, he realized his whole squad in their lifetime could not seize as much cocaine as the CIA could bring in with 1 plane. Law Enforcement Against Prohibition, very interesting reading.

Saw a police job listed on internet, a city of 20K-30K or so, mid-Atlantic state, said to be considered no heavy marijuana use, e.g. 10+ times in past 2 years.

I have a book edited by Telluride Sheriff Bill Masters, it's The New Prohibition: Voices of Dissent Challenge the Drug War. I heard a guy on KOA-850 several years back that was running for sheriff somewhere in CO & made it known he favored legalization & wouldn't mind a debate.

I've known people with incomes up to $50K+ that use cannabis, working at big corporations. Heavy drinkers are probably a bigger risk. Some employers don't care what you do in your free time, as long as you show up on time & not impaired & can do the job. Most think it wrong to punish the harmless.

Some people still believe in the freedoms our Founding Fathers wanted us to have. Many may come to CO in part to show support for more freedom. I don't expect CO to lose any tourist business. Online polls show up to 96% say cannabis should be legal for all adults. People would like cops better if they were for legalization. I suppose they fear loss of employment if it is legalized? I really don't know since they refuse to say. But in some areas some of the fees & taxes go to police & they seem pleased.

Quote:
For many, if not most higher wage jobs being drug-free is important. In the industry where I now work, where most of the bigger employers have wages are generally in the $50K-$150K per year range, zero drug tolerance is not only policy, for most job descriptions, it is a statutory requirement. So, go ahead and toke up--it will leave fewer applicants to compete for the jobs in my industry.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:11 AM

802 posts, read 984,230 times
I would have thought by now that the prohibitionist arguments and premises would have evolved a little further, but maybe I give them too much credit. They are content with "save the children" and "get a job" and "stinky smell" appealing to fewer and fewer voters. at least, "get a haircut" has gone away.

By the time WA is up and running, CO prices will have dropped, many shops converted, PW "gardens" will be open and the weather will be nicer up here. there will be a short window of locally-owned entrepreneurs reaping their rewards before the corporations buy them out and take over. that's already happening with edibles (i.e. Dixie Elixirs). by then, the tourism boards will figure out how to keep cannabis tourists around long enough to drain their bank accounts (ala gaming). CO cannabis tourism will be a strong industry segment for some time to come.

Last edited by highplainsrus; 01-06-2014 at 06:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado