Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2014, 01:44 PM

3 posts, read 5,509 times

Advertisements

****Sorry for the repost, new to the site and just realized there is a main page for CO***

I know these two cities are very different, especially in size. But I have found myself in a somewhat difficult situation and would like to hear what the locals have to say.

My fiance has a great job offer in Greeley that will start in the early spring. As for me, I would need to earn minimum $11/hr but preferably at least $12/hr. I have extensive administrative and customer relations experience (with a Bachelor's in International Relations).

So here is my dilemma:
**Option one, we both live in Greeley** I have tried doing some research on employment in Greeley and surrounding areas (I will not commute more than 30-40 minutes) and it seems like employment is scarce and wages are quite low. My question is, will it be nearly impossible to find employment for the wages mentioned above in Greeley and surrounding areas?

**Option two, I live in Denver (tops 20-25 mins from Denver) while my fiance lives in free corporate housing in Greeley** With this option, I would not see my fiance for 21 days in a row but would then have him at home the following 9ish days. We would only be doing this for 12-18 months. Denver seems to have more employment and possibly slightly higher wages so this may be a good option. Please keep in mind my fiance will not commute, do not want to go into details but commute is not possible for him.

I would love to hear what the locals have to say about this. Thank you!

Last edited by mrmeers; 01-01-2014 at 02:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 02:18 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
fiancé = male
fiancée = female

Old 01-01-2014, 02:55 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,696 times
Here is something to think about:

Option 1: You stay in Greeley with your fiancé in corporate housing and find a job that pays $9-$10/hour. Housing is free, so your cost of living is very low.

Option 2: You stay in Greeley with your fiancé in an apartment or rental house and find a job that pays $9-$10/hour. Rent in Greeley is much cheaper than in Denver, plus since you are both living in the same house, the cost of living is low.

Option 3: You find a job in Denver for $12/hr, rent your own apartment (rent is higher in Denver), and you don't see your fiancé for weeks at a time.

Am I missing something? Why are you even considering an option that doesn't involve you staying with your fiancé?

Old 01-01-2014, 03:24 PM

3 posts, read 5,509 times
Thank you for your reply.

Option 1 is not really possible. Corporate housing for him is more like corporate dorms that are for employees only. He would share a place with co-workers.

Option 2: As I mentioned, minimum I should be making for us to meet our savings goal is $11/hr. Minimum means I cannot compromise for anything lower than this. Basically I don't want to be stuck looking for a job for several months and having to settle for $9 or $10, that is a huge loss of income. After reading other posts it seems like this is the norm in the area.

Option 3: I have looked through a lot of apartment listings. While it generally seems cheaper in Greeley, I have found many places in Denver for about the same price, of course they are much smaller and maybe a little dingy, possibly slightly more dangerous area but that does not bother me.

I guess what I really want to know is if finding employment in Greeley is as difficult as some people seem to have suggested, and is it unrealistic to get something that pays at least $11/hr. Does paying slightly cheaper rent in Greeley out weigh longer period of unemployment and lower wages?

I know some people may think it's crazy that I am thinking of not being with my fiance but we are making a huge sacrifice moving to CO in the first place, we are looking for the smartest move to meet our goal.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:53 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Fort Collins for job?

Old 01-01-2014, 09:49 PM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Either AIMS or the other College (UNC)may be able to help you with employment.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:29 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,096,821 times
You started this thread by saying he had a great job, but it turns out its in a tiny city few employment prospects and they offer dorm style housing for employees only, no family allowed.

To me, it doesn't sound like a great job. It sounds like a mediocre job with an awkward twist that is going to lead to relationship problems. Somehow, you actually included him leaving the city and you staying as an option. If I was having that kind of talk with my fiance, I'd be reconsidering the entire marriage, because that isn't the thinking of someone who is actually committed to the marriage.

Either both go, both stay, or realize you don't actually put each other first.

If it were me, I would reject the job outright if it required me to move to Greeley. No offense to Greeley, but my wife has a good job in the city and I wouldn't want her to have to move.

As far as income goes. Living in Greeley with him would be cheaper than living in Denver by yourself. Yes, wages would be lower. Again, I can not fathom accepting moving into Dorm housing, but I've been married for almost a decade.

Yes, I know what it feels like to move to a place you don't want for your signifcant other. I spent almost 5 years in a hell hole so my wife could go to a top program. After she graduated, she opened up the whole country to me and told me to find our next home. She could still veto cities off the list I presented, but she knew she wanted to get me out of that situation as soon as possible. It was so bad, I met a psychiatrist there once and we discussed the area. He told me it was called "captive spouse syndrome" and it was extremely common there. Many married couples went there because of the incredible opportunity for one spouse, and the other was stuck working vastly below their skill level because the local economy did not offer meaningful employment in most fields.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:59 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Fort Collins for job?
Job market has been considerably better in Greeley for the last decade.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:03 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
OP, why are you and your fiancé not being more flexible? You should broaden your work search to the other major employment areas, then look for housing that would be mid-way between his work and yours. How far outside of Greeley have you been looking?

You say you are not willing to commute more than 30-40 minutes, yet you are willing to go without seeing your fiancé for three weeks at a time for over a year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado