Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 05:29 PM

315 posts, read 468,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtm100912 View Post
I wonder if Interloper is still in Salida. His last commentary was sad. I've looked at real estate prices in the area and it's not cheap!
Hi there. I'm no longer living in Salida, although I still work there and its where most of my friends are. I'm now commuting from a town out in the San Luis Valley, where home prices are much more affordable. I love the people in my life and my job in Salida. My life has only improved in many, many ways since I left Indiana for there, so sticking around long-term is extremely important to me. I likely could have stayed in Salida for a year or two more, but I felt like the clock was running out on my chance to buy anywhere, the northern SLV included. So, last fall I spent 6 months trying to buy in Chaffee and western Fremont counties, but in the end just couldn't afford it. Ultimately, the San Luis Valley made sense for me. It's now been six months that I've been out here and I haven't regretted my decision at all. I do miss the convenience of living in Salida, but I love the peace and solitude out here and I've got some terrific neighbors, too.

I know there are a lot of people on this forum that caution people against the Valley for a myriad of reasons (as they well should), but I've done my research and decided this roll of the dice was worth it for me and what I want out of life. So far, so good.

I'd be happy to answer more questions about my experiences, so feel free to PM me if you'd like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 07:18 PM

5,531 posts, read 12,626,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interloper1138 View Post
Hi there. I'm no longer living in Salida, although I still work there and its where most of my friends are. I'm now commuting from a town out in the San Luis Valley, where home prices are much more affordable. I love the people in my life and my job in Salida. My life has only improved in many, many ways since I left Indiana for there, so sticking around long-term is extremely important to me. I likely could have stayed in Salida for a year or two more, but I felt like the clock was running out on my chance to buy anywhere, the northern SLV included. So, last fall I spent 6 months trying to buy in Chaffee and western Fremont counties, but in the end just couldn't afford it. Ultimately, the San Luis Valley made sense for me. It's now been six months that I've been out here and I haven't regretted my decision at all. I do miss the convenience of living in Salida, but I love the peace and solitude out here and I've got some terrific neighbors, too.

I know there are a lot of people on this forum that caution people against the Valley for a myriad of reasons (as they well should), but I've done my research and decided this roll of the dice was worth it for me and what I want out of life. So far, so good.

I'd be happy to answer more questions about my experiences, so feel free to PM me if you'd like.
That's too bad that you couldn't stay in Salida. We were fortunate enough to have bought our house in Buena Vista ten years ago, while things were still affordable. These days it is hard to find anything decent in BV or Salida, either to buy or rent. We have friends living in their RV, which they are not enjoying AT ALL!

Old 09-18-2017, 12:33 AM

315 posts, read 468,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
We have friends living in their RV, which they are not enjoying AT ALL!
Yep, this is extremely common now in all of Chaffee County, and its no longer just young kids who moved there on whim that are doing so. There are whole families, many with children, that are sleeping on couches, in cars, in tents, etc. I know that both BV and Salida have people that are actively trying to work towards coming up with real housing solutions, but I'm not convinced that either community is doing enough from a local government perspective, especially Salida.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:50 PM

8,460 posts, read 8,699,725 times
If local government isn't ahead of the problem, it is behind. The evidence of need for more affordable housing is the vacancy rate and price increases. There should be tracking & thresholds that trip a switch for more multi-family approvals, zoning, attached dwelling units, more public housing, etc. But there don't seem to be. Most elected officials seem to hear more from or listen more to folks who oppose new density near them and like fast rising real estate values. There should be a balance but imo it ain't what they are doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado