Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 09:21 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times

Advertisements

Really, it's a niche market. Look for a Realtor with the CCIM designation. This is not beginner level real estate sales. This is heavy lifting stuff, environmental, water, zoning, permitting...not for the squeamish.

Old 10-24-2006, 10:30 PM

17 posts, read 62,126 times
thanks for the info.

Old 10-25-2006, 10:05 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,785,113 times
Sorry about that -- I think I was confused about what you were saying, too. I probably don't belong on this thread..... I'm primarily looking to join a co-housing development in Colorado....that to me would be my investment....just a small something for me, in a co-housing community, which are becoming more popular now that we baby boomers are coming of age. Thanks.

Old 10-28-2006, 08:16 AM

Explain what a co-housing delevopment is, please.

(Not that I don't know, I just want to see if what I think is similar to what you think.)

Old 10-28-2006, 12:26 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
I'm thinking of the typical Danish-style co-housing -- community with separate homes/townhouses, common buildings for recreation and occasional dining, things that are becoming much more popular for baby boomers, now. It's just that some co-housing, I think, have houses that are too large, and could easily have a community of much smaller "cottages," rather than large 2+ bedrooms and baths. So, I'm sure you know what I'm referring to.

If you're looking for other investors, have you tried CoolTownStudios.com? They are in the business of gathering together investors for "cool" communities -- quite successful, and extremely interesting. There was a PBS special a few years ago, and they are developing around the nation -- various investors, various companies, but all the same urban/creative/cultural concept.

Hope I did okay on the quiz.

Old 10-28-2006, 05:29 PM

we have one to my knowledge. Built in the early 1990's.

Old 10-28-2006, 09:51 PM

That's okay, obviously, it's not your interest, although I do predict that we baby boomers will be flooding the real estate market with these all over the country in the next ten-15 years. (That's the only reason I mentioned smaller cottages was for those on fixed incomes.)

Check out cohousing.org and you'll see the many communities already formed (including much more than one in Colorado), and the many in the process of forming or buying land. Baby boomers don't want an old-styled commune anymore, they want traditional, but affordable homes, with built-in community and shared values. And CoolTownStudios.com, although not for baby boomers, are also seeking to create communities that are lively, cultural, artistic, urban, and walkable (more European-style) -- it is hugely popular right now. I have no idea what you're into but the future is walkable/liveable communities with arts, culture, nightlife, music, and jobs. And Boomers want a similar thing, but for their (our) generation, and I can assure you that our generation will NOT go "gently into that sweet night!" Aging will definitely be redefinied and co-housing is just one step in that process.

I'm not into the real estate business, but I am in the midst of knowing where people are headed, and it's not strip malls, and suburbs, and being isolated.....at least not the educated, cultured, boomers who are the largest demographic in this country.....We ARE everywhere!

Old 10-29-2006, 10:20 AM

15 completed or forming is not many.

In Colorado
Arvada Cohousing Arvada /4

Bohn Farm Community Cohousing Longmont /4 Forming

Casa Verde Commons Colorado Springs 34/4 Completed
Denver Urban Core Cohousing Initiative Denver / Forming

Greyrock Commons Fort Collins 30/16 Completed
Harmony Village Golden 27/5.5 Completed
Hearthstone Denver 33/1.6 Completed
Heartwood Cohousing Durango 24/361 Completed
Highline Crossing Littleton 40/3.6 Completed
Lyons Valley Village Lyons /2

Nomad Cohousing Boulder 11/1 Completed
Nyland Lafayette (near Boulder) 42/43 Completed
River Rock Commons Fort Collins 34/3.4 Completed
Silver Sage Village Boulder /1 Forming

Wild Sage Cohousing Boulder 34/1.6 Completed

Old 10-29-2006, 12:42 PM

Hey, talking semantics? Do you realize there were NONE before 1990??? Do you realize how many boomers there are??? I don't know how old you are, or if you're our age, or not, but if you're my age (late 50's) then you well know how our generation started MANY of the freedoms and changes that still exist for young people! No need to elaborate, there's plenty of info out there if you're not aware of all that we have done in the past -- and now the future.

That's fine -- it's not your thing. However, there are smart developers who realize this is a burgeoning field. People into co-housing, and other alternatives, are going to work with those who are interested, not those who aren't -- it's only logical. Why do you seemingly put it down, when it's just starting? My age group is JUST beginning to retire -- ten years down the road will be a whole other story. My guess is either you are very young, or just don't care. Either way, you're not the kind of real estate person who would be involved in this concept because you've got your own niche.

It sounds like you're arrogant about this. I'm just saying that there are wise real estate investors who recognize this value -- and the surge in demand. No one can be in the same business, otherwise we'd have monochrome throughout. But don't put it down at the same time -- there are many, many more people out there interested than you obviously are aware of. I merely sent the info to let you know there are more than one in Colorado. That's all.

If it's not your thing, that's cool. But I know lots of people my age who may not be on that site, but ARE seriously getting involved in planning, discussing, and trying to find ways to make this work all over. We are NOT a lazy generation by any means, and our cause now is to find a way to age gracefully, with community, and with fun.

Maybe someone else who happens on this thread and is in real estate will be more the kind of person who is interested in innovative ideas before the market is saturated. Sorry you took offense to this. Just tossing out ideas. You don't know who I am, nor what I'm involved in, or anything else, so to just dismiss what I say is rude, I feel. Sorry, but I know there are others out there who realize this opportunity.

Old 10-29-2006, 01:20 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Wisteria wrote: "....communities that are lively, cultural, artistic, urban, and walkable (more European-style) -- it is hugely popular right now...."

I agree. We see a lot of folks coming onto city-data and asking where can they live that meets the above criteria. Among the most sought after things asked for is "walkable" places to live. A lot of us are FINALLY over our love affair with cars and want this. I do chuckle when we call it "European style." We used to live that way here too, before WW-2, after which it all began changing and with the "white flight" that began during the 1950's, we've chased the suburbs ever further out.

Suburbs can never be walkable in the sense of old cities or Europe. Zoning law keeps commercial places out of neighborhoods and sequestered in commercial zones, can't even go to Starbucks for a cup of coffee without driving 3 miles....2 miles to public library....3 miles to supermarket and so on. In the old style in-town living, you could walk to all those things, and a taproom on this corner, bakery on that one, barber shop over there, pharmacy down the street, etc. I did this as a kid in Arbutus, MD, in the 1950's, and you still can if you live there.

I read something in //www.city-data.com/forum/gener...n-america.html about Trenton, NJ being so empty now and all of the ills it is having. I predict that in ten years we won't be able to afford Trenton, and many old cities like it, once boomers retire and move in to re-hab the place so they can have in-town, walkable living.

Sun City places won't go away, but walkable, car-free living is going to be very big in the future. And profitable.

s/Mike

Last edited by Mike from back east; 10-29-2006 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: add the URL for the thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado