Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 11:21 AM

563 posts, read 1,496,496 times

Advertisements

I'm very curious after debating with my husband. Has the state begun doing checks when leaving the state? It's obviously illegal to bring MJ out of the state, but are they doing anything yet to enforce this or is it super easy and potentially creating "problems" for the surrounding states? Plans to set up checks in the future even? Only do it on busier routes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 12:53 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,800,117 times
Why would Colorado do that? If someone wants to buy an ounce of pot in Denver and sell it in Kansas, that's not Colorado's problem, it's Kansas'. But I do see the surrounding states authorities looking real close at cars leaving Colorado and cars with Colorado tags.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:01 PM

8,596 posts, read 14,789,740 times
I doubt they'll ever set up pot checkpoints. Unless you're obviously high when they pull you over they can't indiscriminately pull cars over and whip out the drug sniffing dog without probable cause. A deputy in Moffat County f'd up a big pot bust a few years ago because he searched the car with a drug dog on the basis of the driver acting nervous. Lawyers were consulted and the case had to be tossed because it likely constituted an illegal search. Idiot should've been fired but for being incompetent, but alas he's still employed by the county.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:55 PM

481 posts, read 1,295,409 times
I made a drive out to Kansas a couple of weeks ago. No check points on either side, yet. I did read a few news articles about exactly this. Colorado is planning to put signs up on I-25 and I-70 warning people no to take marijuana across state lines. Hasn't happened yet, but it's in the works. Both Kansas and Wyoming have said they won't be doing any extra patrols or check points, but don't bring it to their states. New Mexico is fairly liberal with weed, anyway, and is exploring legalizing it so I doubt they'll crack down. I'm curious to see how Utah deals with it, as incredibly conservative as they are. I haven't heard anything from them, though.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:40 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,725,307 times
I've noticed a few busted right here in Crested Butte (which now has a general MJ store) for driving with MJ: a couple folks driving under the influence of or smoking MJ & one underage with a jar of MJ on the console.

Don't smoke & drive even within Colorado as they are watching for it!

Old 02-07-2014, 12:15 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,968,186 times
Wink Cannabis osmosis

“Cars from Colorado are absolutely not being targeted,” Collins said. “It’s just business as usual.” [1]

Apparently travel between Colorado and such bordering states as Wyoming and Nebraska remain the same, with no special precautions taken to prevent the personal transport of cannabis. And although authorities their expect an increase in such transport, not appreciably so, with the definitive change years prior with the legalization of medical cannabis in Colorado.

Speaking of which, Wyoming does not recognize Colorado medical marijuana cards; persons with such cards have been arrested in Wyoming for possession of cannabis. [2]

Recently I saw a report on, as I recall, 9News saying that authorities in such states as Nebraska were asking for a portion of Colorado cannabis revenue precisely to cover any additional costs incurred in preventing its transport into their states.

1) 'Colorado’s legalization of marijuana has yet to affect Nebraska,' Daily Nebraskan
Colorado

2) 'Wyoming counties bordering Colorado expect more marijuana arrests,' Star Tribune
Wyoming counties bordering Colorado expect more marijuana arrests

Old 02-07-2014, 12:39 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,669,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
I've noticed a few busted right here in Crested Butte (which now has a general MJ store) for driving with MJ: a couple folks driving under the influence of or smoking MJ & one underage with a jar of MJ on the console.

Don't smoke & drive even within Colorado as they are watching for it!
I understand arrests for driving under the influence of MJ, but I did not know it was illegal to drive with possession?

I think the DUI with MJ is going to face some court challenges because it show up in a test long after the effects have gone away. Also does anyone know how many hits of any given strain it takes to be "one toke over the line"? I can go online and see how many beers are ok for a male of my weight and have some idea if I am legal. No so with MJ.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:56 PM

1,539 posts, read 2,293,358 times
I think they are definitely doing "checks" now. My husband and I drove with our 2 kids and 2 dogs from Colorado to the east coast over the summer. Cops in Kansas pulled me over TWICE while I was on I-70. No reason whatsoever, I was not speeding and received no tickets for anything. They complained that my license plate frame was blocking part of the word "Colorado" from the plate; that was their excuse. 2 different cops, 2 different cities in Kansas. I'd say we were definitely being targeted.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:01 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,455,090 times
The neighboring states want CO to help finance a crackdown on drugs transported across state lines.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:00 PM

26,144 posts, read 48,806,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmeck View Post
I think they are definitely doing "checks" now. My husband and I drove with our 2 kids and 2 dogs from Colorado to the east coast over the summer. Cops in Kansas pulled me over TWICE while I was on I-70. No reason whatsoever, I was not speeding and received no tickets for anything. They complained that my license plate frame was blocking part of the word "Colorado" from the plate; that was their excuse. 2 different cops, 2 different cities in Kansas. I'd say we were definitely being targeted.
Were you the guy with the license plates that read GOT BONG
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado