Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 06:41 AM

152 posts, read 142,986 times

Advertisements

There's a site somewhere on the page where you can read about well permits that shows you every well in the area with depth / owner / permit type etc. I'll try to find the link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 04:11 AM

Has anyone experience with flowers / any vegetation that not necessarily native but like the SLV climate ?

I'm browsing high altitude plants and there's quite a wide range of plants that like high altitude and extremely low rainfall / drought. Would any of these plants survive there without any care ?

What about cactus ? They need zero care.

Last edited by Hyperviktor; 02-26-2019 at 04:35 AM..

Old 02-26-2019, 04:46 AM

29 posts, read 21,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperviktor View Post
Has anyone experience with flowers / any vegetation that not necessarily native but like the SLV climate ?

I'm browsing high altitude plants and there's quite a wide range of plants that like high altitude and extremely low rainfall / drought. Would any of these plants survive there without any care ?

What about cactus ? They need zero care.
Across much of Colorado and the West as a whole, xeriscape or zeroscape is the best option for landscaping because of the usefulness in conserving water and providing habitat for native wildlife. Native plants such as sage and rabbitbrush are the best, but there are also many arid non-native plants such as russian sage, yucca, prairie cone, black eyed susan, spanish broom, etc. A great site to order and also simply read about many of these is Highcountygardens.

Note, that when planting any plant, including these plants, they will need watering for at least the first year to become established, but afterwards can survive with native precipitation. Personally, I like rabbitbrush and think it's a great choice, along with yucca and a sprinkling of color with a few flowering plants such as prairie cone.

Old 02-26-2019, 04:52 AM

Yep, pretty much this is the idea - anything that survives on it's own can stay

Highcountygardens is one of the sites I was browsing and they have a very good selection of plants.

What about trying to scatter seeds ? Could that work ?

Old 02-26-2019, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Yep, pretty much this is the idea - anything that survives on it's own can stay

Highcountygardens is one of the sites I was browsing and they have a very good selection of plants.

What about trying to scatter seeds ? Could that work ?
Spreading wildflower seeds can work with moisture coming in the winter/spring, you can hope for some of them to germinate in the spring. They might need some supplemental watering in order to become established.

We have a piece of land with a small cabin in mountains, which we get to about once a month and we've had a very difficult time getting wildflowers to come up there, although last year was particularly dry. I spread more seeds this last fall and this year, we've had a lot more snow, so I'm hoping to see some results in the spring.

At my house, I have had tremendous success with California poppies and get two bloomings a year, but we are along the Front Range and get about 15 inches of precip a year, vs I believe about 7 inches in the SLV. They obviously are not native, but are very drought tolerant and add a nice splash of color to the desert landscape. They also spread nicely.

Old 02-26-2019, 05:07 AM

Well, if I'll be able to mix some local greens such as the agave-type plant we have on the land with some cactus and a few wild flowers for color that would be great.

There's a wide range of native cacti in Colorado and they would well fit in the xeriscape idea.

Blanca has 10" rain a year plus around 30" snow so in the end I can only try and see what happens.

Old 02-26-2019, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Well, if I'll be able to mix some local greens such as the agave-type plant we have on the land with some cactus and a few wild flowers for color that would be great.

There's a wide range of native cacti in Colorado and they would well fit in the xeriscape idea.

Blanca has 10" rain a year plus around 30" snow so in the end I can only try and see what happens.
Getting the plants established the first year will be the most difficult part, especially if you're not there to care for them. Prickly pear and cholla would probably work well and are gorgeous specimens in my view. Don't overlook the yucca family either!

Old 02-26-2019, 05:21 AM

Yep, they all look amazing and fit well in a nice rock garden type layout. I'll probably will need to get some large boulders as on the land there are just smaller rocks, size of a brick maybe but that's fine.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:41 AM

Do people put up any fences around their houses or any larger area there ? On the satellite photos I mostly see houses just sitting on a plot but no fence apart from a very few. Any pros or cons for either having or not having a fence ?

Old 02-26-2019, 08:29 AM

317 posts, read 474,682 times
Quote:
Do people put up any fences around their houses or any larger area there ? On the satellite photos I mostly see houses just sitting on a plot but no fence apart from a very few. Any pros or cons for either having or not having a fence ?
Some put up fences, generally if they have livestock or pets or a garden, and of varying types. Everything from simple barbed wire to more modern aluminum ones like this (that aluminum is kind of a current trend throughout the state). In my personal opinion, the 'coyote' style of fencing looks best out here.

Pros for having a fence are keeping wildlife out of your yard if you want to have a garden, as well as privacy, and protected space for an outdoor pet. Not too many cons other than potentially obstructing your view or making your neighbors (if you have any) think you don't like them. I wouldn't worry about that, though. Whatever you think looks best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado