Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 09:35 AM

152 posts, read 142,800 times

Advertisements

What about something small around 4 feet maybe ?

Something like this -

Could you think of any negative aspects ?

Also, would a bigger fence deter anyone snooping around or would it rather mean there must be something interesting on the other side of the fence ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 10:05 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Fences don't keep out any determined thieves. We've had reports in these forums in years past that homes left unattended in SLV are easy targets. I don't know how things are in the UK or Hungary but in rural areas here there is a no shortage of vandalism and theft -- to include stealing livestock. IIRC you are seeking some large windows; I'd expect them to be busted out by the dead-enders who resent it when others have something nice and I've seen this in my own extended family who had their big old farmhouse in WV burned to the ground by a malcontent. We have a small hard core of bad actors who will love finding ways to crack your concrete hot tub; for them it will be all in a day's fun.

I can't understand anyone going to all the trouble and effort you say you're willing to go to just for a place to stay for 30-60 days a year. You'll have to pay taxes on it, insure it, and maybe pay someone to visit the place every so often to keep an eye on it. My preference would be to rent a hotel room for visits, and they probably have a hot tub, daily maid service and a lot more; when your visit is over you just say thanks and walk away without having tied up a lot of money into an asset that will not be easy to sell no matter economic conditions. Myself, I put our money into dividend paying equities and spend the dividends without having to touch my capital. Anyway, that's just my two cents.

By all means keep chasing your dream and asking all the questions you wish.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:29 AM

Youd'd have the same anywhere I guess. In Hungary we have break-ins in small farm buildings in areas which are not remote or rarely attended so I'd say that not too special.

Vandalism is a new thing I haven't heard off - people wouldn't just break your stuff for fun, sure they will steal but won't go around to burn down your house or break windows etc. Maybe teenagers in a few isolated cases.

I'm not doing this as a business interest or to make money, it's more of a fun hobby. I don't tend to sell things I own, the land on it's own is forever, that's not something that can be destroyed ever. The building... let's see what happens, fingers crossed. Taxes are negligible, you got to pay them anywhere.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:50 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,943,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperviktor View Post

I'm not doing this as a business interest or to make money, it's more of a fun hobby. I don't tend to sell things I own, the land on it's own is forever, that's not something that can be destroyed ever. The building... let's see what happens, fingers crossed. Taxes are negligible, you got to pay them anywhere.
People try to move to SLV generally have two misconceptions that end up ruining their plans. First, they don't understand the water situation. Second, they think they will be able to sell the completed house for what they have in it. You definitely don't plan to use more water than you have a right to, so if you're fine with the economics of building there then you will be fine.

Old 03-01-2019, 04:29 PM

How do you handle garbage? Collect it in bins and then take it to the disposal site? How often?

Old 03-01-2019, 06:07 PM

317 posts, read 473,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperviktor View Post
How do you handle garbage? Collect it in bins and then take it to the disposal site? How often?
According to the Costilla County website there's only one curbside provider in the county. (It's likely there are other individuals who provide curbside trash service but you'd have to ask locals).

Considering you'll only be around a few months at a time, though, it would probably be easier (and cheaper) for you to take your trash to the county dump yourself. The closest one is in Fort Garland and is open on the 2nd and 4th Saturdays of every month. The fees listed on the site are from 2012, so I'd call and ask, as they're probably a little higher now. The link I shared has more info.

Old 03-02-2019, 08:39 AM

Yep, that’s the site I’ve found. I maybe worded my question wrong but I’m more curious about how this works in practice on the household end - do you have a few bins in the garden and once they’re full you take them to the transfer site? I guess a bin store at a house should be pretty solid so it wouldn’t attract wildlife or maybe bears?

Old 03-02-2019, 09:26 AM

317 posts, read 473,811 times
Yeah, that's generally how it's done. One or more containers to hold the garbage bags, then you take the bags to the dump whenever they get full or whenever you have time to get to the dump.

Regarding wildlife, your main concern will be keeping bears out of your containers at night. This is a problem I'm still trying to figure out since I don't have a good space to store full bags whenever my waste bin in my home gets full. I'll have bears get into my garbage about a dozen times a year, primarily in mid to late summer. I haven't had a problem with any other types of wildlife getting (or trying to) get in, though. Granted my home is closer to the mountains than your lot, so you may not have the same types of problems.

If you do have issues with bears, you can buy metal bear-proof waste containers, but they're expensive and bears will still knock them around trying to get in which can be irritating if you're trying to sleep. It's best if you have an enclosed space like a garage or shed to hold your garbage until you can get it to the dump, but be aware that bears can and do break into homes, garages, and sheds out here in search of food, depending on how scare their natural food sources are in a year.

Again, this is another scenario that would be best to ask your future neighbors about so you can know what they actually experience. People do different things to combat this with varying success. You'll figure it out.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:46 AM

Sounds all good, I'd have bins within a building, the only question is how strong of a door you need to keep a bear out ?

Would they try to break through doors into homes or a shed or anything ? Does a metal door keep them out or do you need anything extra ?

Old 03-02-2019, 12:23 PM

Is there any safe / tried out way to store some tools safely on an empty land ? Some basic things such as a showel or a spade ?
Maybe a small metal box chained to a tree ?

I wanna do a few veey small things first thing when we get there, see how easy is digging, what's the soil like etc. and then I wouldn't want to leave stuff just lying around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado