Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 02:18 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,946,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperviktor View Post
How long is the drive from Denver ? I can only see what the map says but it seems way too optimistic.
Google maps is pretty accurate. If you stay in Denver it's about 3.5 hours to Blanca. You could stay aon the South side of Denver and shave off some more time.

If you fly into Denver airport, drive to Denver, spend the night in Denver, drive back to the airport, go back through security, fly to Pueblo, and then drive form Pueblo to Blanca, I think it'll be faster to just drive from Denver to Blanca. Maybe I don't understand your itinerary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 11:04 AM

114 posts, read 111,394 times
It looks like one can't win in SLV...get "big beautiful home" (see below) and you're game for junkies, meth cookers, thieves, vandals and squatters....get something low-key to camp for a few months of the year -- no, this is being banned now/no longer welcome.

"Why don't you want to live in a big beautiful home like me??" - yelling at Costilla County planning commission meeting - I think this is their ex-sheriff... quite a nutcase... speaks volumes.
https://youtu.be/qPrEGAnUJBw?t=821

I'd advise not jumping into building anything, including installing infrastructure, but would spend enough time to get familiar with the area first...may be get a used camper for a couple of summers.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:32 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Five sheriffs around and still all that shouting, name-calling, finger-pointing?

I doubt that kind of animosity developed from just a few in-your-face arrivals.

Old 03-20-2019, 12:31 PM

152 posts, read 143,118 times
Anyone could tell what's the weather like in SLV, especially Blanca-Fort Garland-Alamosa area in early June ?

We'll be driving around to see a few places, spend some time on our land etc. What we need to prepare for ? Sun ? Wind ? Cold in the evenings ?

All tips appreciated.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:18 PM

18,217 posts, read 25,857,597 times
It's been a while since I've done overnight trips through the San Luis Valley but my own experience there will be high temperatures between 75 to 80 in early June. And the lows dip down quite a bit, they generally are in the 40 to 45 degree range. Yes, it dips down quite a bit, and I've moteled it over the years in Del Norte, Saguache, Antonito, and Alamosa.

Old 03-21-2019, 01:30 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,343,307 times
There is a blogger McElMurray's Mountain Retreat

I get his blog daily where he give weather and happenings. He is on the Forbes Subdivision. Very interesting blog. He has been up there for over 22 years and does write for Mother Earth. He talks about the town of Alamosa or Ft. Garland all the time. Temps, snow or weather in general. He and his wife are full timers up on that mountain.

I suggest you find his blog and you'll know what to expect.

Old 12-02-2020, 06:56 AM

1 posts, read 784 times
Default Neighborhood watch

With the mention of building on remote properties in SLV, and the risk of vandalism and squatters moving into vacant homes, I wondered if any groups of neighbors had banded together to form a
neighborhood watch group? It seems that it would be in everyones best interest to try and keep the thieves out? I realize that this idea may not be well received by some, but who wants a meth lab setup next door?

Old 12-02-2020, 09:08 AM

317 posts, read 475,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maico43 View Post
With the mention of building on remote properties in SLV, and the risk of vandalism and squatters moving into vacant homes, I wondered if any groups of neighbors had banded together to form a
neighborhood watch group? It seems that it would be in everyones best interest to try and keep the thieves out? I realize that this idea may not be well received by some, but who wants a meth lab setup next door?
There are neighborhood watch groups throughout the valley, but in my experience most don't amount to much other than having one or two particularly vigilant neighbors that are more likely to call the cops than others.

The problem isn't so much a lack of willingness to keep vandalism and burglaries at bay, it's the sheer scale of the area. It's hard to keep an eye on every property all of the time, and most people strive to have some level of privacy with their property so it's hard to tell from a distance if anything is 'wrong'. Even then, depending on where you're at it can be a very long time from the time you call the police to when they show up. For instance if I put in a call to the police at my house, it would be a minimum of 45 minutes before anyone would be able to show up. I'm not unique in this respect.

Every community out here has some level of this type of crime, even in the bigger towns like Alamosa. It all varies depending on the neighborhood / subdivision / area. I've been in the valley for almost four years and have never experienced any type of property crime. I wouldn't let the risk repel you from buying or building out here, but it is important to do some research on the areas you're looking at.

Old 12-02-2020, 11:46 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interloper1138 View Post
There are neighborhood watch groups throughout the valley, but in my experience most don't amount to much other than having one or two particularly vigilant neighbors that are more likely to call the cops than others.

[pThe problem isn't so much a lack of willingness to keep vandalism and burglaries at bay, it's the sheer scale of the area. It's hard to keep an eye on every property all of the time, and most people strive to have some level of privacy with their property so it's hard to tell from a distance if anything is 'wrong'. Even then, depending on where you're at it can be a very long time from the time you call the police to when they show up. For instance if I put in a call to the police at my house, it would be a minimum of 45 minutes before anyone would be able to show up. I'm not unique in this respect.

Every community out here has some level of this type of crime, even in the bigger towns like Alamosa. It all varies depending on the neighborhood / subdivision / area. I've been in the valley for almost four years and have never experienced any type of property crime. I wouldn't let the risk repel you from buying or building out here, but it is important to do some research on the areas you're looking at.
This sums it up well. Aside from the factors mentioned above, if too many of the owners simply are not there, it does not leave much of a “neighborhood” to keep protective watch. Even in densely populated places, vacant properties constantly are being watched by the BAD people.

If you have enough owners frequently out and about among the area, it helps. In my area, I was surprised at how much was known about some bad denizens (I won’t call them renters, not paying ones) who were known to have repeatedly broken various laws and somehow Tefloned themselves from being kicked out. ALL kinds of horror stories were related to me, and I had a few things to share also, things I had directly observed. However, some of the “incidents” happened in vacant properties which people cannot see much of from the road, or they happened during the wee hours. A burglar alarm did bring sheriffs in one case, but of course the criminal had fled by the time he arrived.

That is why, even though we are perfectly willing to call LE, we also know that more immediate protection is good, if you get my drift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado