Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 09:41 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times

Advertisements

I don't know whether Cañon City out in the piñon-juniper meets his definition of "wooded." If so, it might be a possibility, though I don't consider the drive to Colorado Springs from Cañon to be one that I would want to make on a daily basis (though I know people in Cañon that do it all the time). Cañon to Pueblo isn't so bad. Water can be an issue, as well. Though I like Cañon City/Florence a lot, it also does not fit the definition of a cool weather mountain locale at all. 50 days average per year above 90° kind of blows that out of the water.

As lurtsman noted, if having a job is an issue, that really limits where the OP can look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 07:40 PM

7 posts, read 11,108 times
Thank you all so much for your help! You have no idea how thankful I am to have people helping me with unbiased opinions.

Hawaii, I have currently been looking at cities along I25 because its what I'm familiar with. But most anywhere In the state would work. Finding employment is not an issue. It is not a requirement, I guess the requirement would be 1hr. 15min away from a big city at the most. Yes, most any size house. At least 1,000 sq. ft.+ would be ideal.

I have been looking in Pueblo/Canon City some, but what I've found out is that there is like almost no woods, unless they've been put there by the owners themselves. So I think it's probably out of the question unfortunately.

I've found one in woodland park that looks promising. It seems like a nice little town.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:48 PM

I really wish I was rich/could get a larger loan. That sure would make this whole thing much easier lol.

Jazz, I love the maps! The infestations look terrible!!! Can anything be done about it or is it mainly dependent on the weather like the article was talking about? I hope we get some cold weather the rest the winter.. So far it's been as warm as can be where I'm at anyways. I'm already seeing lots of bugs out. It's too early for that.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:29 PM

914 posts, read 2,204,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage1234 View Post
I've found one in woodland park that looks promising. It seems like a nice little town.
Woodland Park is a nice town. I find the need to go on into Colorado Springs for anything at all lessens with each passing year. Real Estate Listings describing a property as "Nestled in the trees" are fairly common and can be translated as "No view whatsoever". In addition to property in Woodland Park, there are innumerable subdivisions nearby - some heavily wooded, some not, most with some of both - with greater or lesser access to town depending upon weather conditions. Most roads belong to the county, which does an excellent job with snow plowing.

Do not, however, fail to understand the difference between proximity in distance and proximity in time. I am only 16 miles from Woodland Park in a direct line, but it is 25 miles and a 40 minute trip by road under ideal conditions.

In addition, with the concern about wildfires growing, fire mitigation is becoming a major issue. Property with dead or dying trees, trees or shrubbery too close to structures, or with branches too low, or a buildup of duff, etc. are likely to face increased scrutiny by lenders, insurance companies, and government bodies in the years ahead. I personally would insist that any mountain property I bought today be brought up to current standards before I closed the deal.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:35 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
^This is very little than can be done about the pine beetle other than very localized mitigation. The problem is a result of years of above normal temperatures and/or lower than average precipitation in many mountain areas of Colorado, compounded by a century-plus of natural fire suppression. US Forest Service fire management policy is now very wrongly concentrated on protecting private structures built in tinderbox forests on private property (where they should have never been permitted to be built in the first place), rather than concentrating their limited forest management budgets on techniques to reduce the impact of the pine beetles through prescribed burning and other methods on the public lands. Sadly, Mother Nature will now "manage" the pine beetle infestation with large "mega-fire" events, such as the one that ravaged the Black Forest last year.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:35 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,096,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I don't know whether Cañon City out in the piñon-juniper meets his definition of "wooded." If so, it might be a possibility, though I don't consider the drive to Colorado Springs from Cañon to be one that I would want to make on a daily basis (though I know people in Cañon that do it all the time). Cañon to Pueblo isn't so bad. Water can be an issue, as well. Though I like Cañon City/Florence a lot, it also does not fit the definition of a cool weather mountain locale at all. 50 days average per year above 90° kind of blows that out of the water.

As lurtsman noted, if having a job is an issue, that really limits where the OP can look.
Great point Jazz. I was thinking of the commute to Pueblo for his regular city needs.

I might have ignored parts relating to cooler weather / more trees. Neither of which is particularly common there.

Edit: I went back to the original post. I didn't see the part about cool weather. The title does mention trees, but I've started to adjust to the lack of Trees in Colorado Springs which creates a very different perception of "normal".

Old 03-17-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post
Woodland Park is a nice town. I find the need to go on into Colorado Springs for anything at all lessens with each passing year. Real Estate Listings describing a property as "Nestled in the trees" are fairly common and can be translated as "No view whatsoever". In addition to property in Woodland Park, there are innumerable subdivisions nearby - some heavily wooded, some not, most with some of both - with greater or lesser access to town depending upon weather conditions. Most roads belong to the county, which does an excellent job with snow plowing.

Do not, however, fail to understand the difference between proximity in distance and proximity in time. I am only 16 miles from Woodland Park in a direct line, but it is 25 miles and a 40 minute trip by road under ideal conditions.

In addition, with the concern about wildfires growing, fire mitigation is becoming a major issue. Property with dead or dying trees, trees or shrubbery too close to structures, or with branches too low, or a buildup of duff, etc. are likely to face increased scrutiny by lenders, insurance companies, and government bodies in the years ahead. I personally would insist that any mountain property I bought today be brought up to current standards before I closed the deal.
I really really appreciate this information! Especially the part about if there is dead/damaged trees in the poperty. That will def come in handy, especially in my price range.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:05 PM

Jazz, that is very sad. I hope we get a couple weeks of -20 below this winter. It's been wayyyy to warm.

Lurtsman, ya cooler weather is not really an issue/concern. Colorado already has pretty cool weather compared to alot of the u.s. I don't know that I could really adjust to no trees in all honesty. I've always grew up in the woods and just feel at home there.

I was talking to a friend in Co. Springs and she was saying that really in that price range the best bet would probably be to buy land in black Forrest then put a mobile home on it or build cheaply.
Any input on this idea? How hard would it be to find something similar to what I'm looking for if I just look for land at the moment?

Thank you all so much for your help once again! I truely do appreciate it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado