Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 08:59 AM

462 posts, read 1,173,028 times

Advertisements

I hear ya. Two hours a day wasted in the commute. Only other thing I can think of: Can you work 4 tens? That would be 8 hours of commute vs 10 hours, a savings of 20%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 11:51 AM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Move to Leadville

1. Your child will not be entering the school system for 6+ years.
2. Elementary school is not that critical. Parents are the much stronger influence.
3. It will be 11 years before your child hits middle school. This is the crucial one to really focus on.

MOVE
shorten your commute

Old 03-23-2014, 11:15 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,685,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Lots of things change in 5-6 years. Go for your dream now, you can move down valley in 5+ years IF the schools are still bad, and if Climax is still open and if there are no private schools etc. Most people move every 5-7 years, plan for today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. Your child will not be entering the school system for 6+ years.
2. Elementary school is not that critical. Parents are the much stronger influence.
3. It will be 11 years before your child hits middle school. This is the crucial one to really focus on.

MOVE
shorten your commute
I agree with these comments! I lived in Fairplay, CO (also not know for good schools) and had friends with elementary aged kids. They moved once the kids were ready for middle school and they are both educated, smart young adults now.

With that said though, I don't think you could get me to move to Leadville if my life depended on it.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:23 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,984,029 times
Wink If in Twin Lakes

As there are a number of vacation homes near Twin Lakes, you might want to rent one for a winter or so to see how all feels.

This assuming Twin Lakes is your ultimate destination (or nearby on acreage), as specially mentioned twice. Admittedly it is a cute town in a beautiful location. A quotient of 'cute' being small. Not much population at any time of year, with most of that the influx of summer. When Independence Pass closes, it will be quiet—end of the road (well, almost, save a few cabins beyond in the canyon).

Perhaps all this is the allure, and rightly so. But a distinctly different circumstance from Dillon. Under good conditions it is about 45 minutes from Dillon to Leadville (bit less to Climax), and 30 minutes from Twin Lakes to Leadville (bit more to Climax). In other words, your commute to work will remain roughly the same, or a bit longer. In Dillon it can be a short drive or even shorter walk to the grocery and other services (and other people). In Twin Lakes, one hour roundtrip to Leadville.

Social events in Twin Lakes, they'll be intimate. Anything more expansive will be in Buena Vista or Leadville, and a long drive. Unlike Dillon, it will also be one hour roundtrip every school day (assuming to Leadville), with likely one of you as chauffeur. My suspicion there are precious few young kids living in Twin Lakes. So, again, social events on that scale will be likely limited.

None of this to suggest that one wouldn't want to try this, and even love it. But the reality of dreams is not always as expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado