U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 07:24 AM

643 posts, read 1,910,593 times

Advertisements

I don't want to ask 'where should I move in CO?!' So many people ask this and they get so many different answers because everyone loves or hates where they are for different reasons. Instead, let's ask...

'Where did you first live in CO? Did you love it? Did you hate it? Where'd you go when you left, or why could you just not bring yourself to leave?'
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 08:40 AM

26,342 posts, read 88,953,294 times
I first lived in a Homewood Suites near the COS airport for several weeks but I don't think that's what you are looking for.

I first moved to near Monument (about five miles east) in June 2006. I still live there. I couldn't bring myself to leave because I have a good job and overall the Pikes Peak/Denver regions offer jobs, good schools, low traffic and affordable housing compared to where I came from in the SoCal area. The weather and climate are good, not always perfect, but good enough. I like being close enough (one bladder distance) to jobs in both Colorado Springs and the southern regions of Denver as far as Aurora.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:25 AM

90,373 posts, read 112,955,155 times
We first lived in a furnished apt in unicorporated Arapahoe Co, near the Highline Canal. Yes, we liked it, but didn't stay. DH got a job in Golden. Lived in west Denver (liked it), bought a house in Louisville (loved it and stayed!).

Old 12-06-2007, 10:27 AM

237 posts, read 1,040,966 times
I was in the Hampton Inn in Westminster. They cooked a better breakfast there than I was capable of, so I really wasn't keen on leaving.

After a short stay in Denver I worried that it would be too big & scary for my Small Town, U.S.A. background and went toward Colorado Springs to start with. I immediately found myself going to Denver for everything once I became comfortable with the traffic and didn't get lost every 10 seconds. I love the city. I feel more at home in Denver than I do in the Springs (based on my lifestyle & interests). I have a wonderful job that's located toward Monument and plan on relocating soon to the Castle Rock area- I can still get to work within 20 minutes and Denver in 30. Also, I've found a new passion for skiing and want faster access to I-70. But there was no way I would've know that while still living in Florida.

In my opinion, it's impossible to know beforehand where you're going to love living. Nine times out of ten you're going to choose the wrong apartment, wrong neighborhood, wrong side of the city. When I first moved to Colorado, I was so afraid of making a wrong decision. I've made plenty, though, since moving here, but this has also been part of the fun. The important thing is to just gather the courage and get here - or whereever it is that you want to go - put your stake in the ground and theorize about it later. Besides, mistakes allow you to appreciate the "Perfect" place once it finally comes along.

Best of Luck to Everyone Relocating!

Old 12-06-2007, 11:19 AM

739 posts, read 2,829,604 times
Moved here 8 yrs ago:

Have lived in

West Wash Park- great for young singles, lots of good rentals, dogs, proximity to highway and park. Liked it at the time (mid 20s)
Golden Triangle- lived there when it was "Up and coming"- liked it but very little community feel. Everyone just stayed in their condos. Thought we'd go downtown alot but really didn't. the walk didn't feel that safe at the time. different now- you have more development, more nightlife, art musemn addition, performing arts center. wouldn't live there now w/ a family but nice place if you are single or older (lots of boomers there in condos)
North Country Club- loved it, but probably the least safe I felt interestingly enough given the neighborhood. Garage broken into twice, noise from 6th avenue. LOts of families, also very diverse neighborhood. Made lots of friends there, who have all since moved away. LIked being able to walk into Cherry Creek and running at Cheeseman. If we could ahve afforded to get another house closer to teh "gates" of Country Club, we would still be there. Gaining an extra 500 sq feet upped the price by about 300K so we moved.
East Wash park- love it. LOTS of families, stores on Gaylord, close to park, feel very safe. Only concerns at moment are personal- still busier and urban than I may want to be, may want a larger lot, may want different school choices. These are all personal reasons. I would highly recommend it- very close promity to cheerry creek, highway, downtown, light rail,etc...

Old 12-06-2007, 12:15 PM

7,810 posts, read 18,019,625 times
In late 1971 I moved from southeastern Pennsylvania ( where I grew up ), to Boulder Colorado. Being in the footloose and fancy free stage of my life, I was too restless to settle down there for long. BUT....Colorado made a favorable impression on me. Upon leaving Colorado, enroute to Mendocino CA, I spent some time in the Colorado National Monument. I had a feeling way back then that I might be back in this area sometime in the future. Fast forward 35 years....In the sumemr of 2006, my wife and I sold our Virginia Beach home of 16 years, and moved to Grand Junction. We've been here for about 17 months. We like living here more and more each day, as we discover the richness that this location has to offer....in the immediate area and within a 2 hr drive. What a fabulous location! I might add that we both love the outdoors, so living in an outdoor mecca appeals strongly to our sensibilities. Coming from a metropolitan area with a population of 1.6 million, we love the small town atmosphere of Grand Junction and we have no problem with the growth that is occurring, though we both wish it was carried out in a more environmentally conscientious manner.

blessings....Franco

Old 12-06-2007, 01:31 PM

5,747 posts, read 11,453,079 times
We live in Castle Rock because my spouse has clients in both CoS and the DTC, so we split the difference. We're currently looking in Centennial.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:56 PM

24,851 posts, read 33,644,609 times
My husband lived in a suite hotel near Ken Caryl for 5 months before we were able to buy here. We chose Highlands Ranch over the City of Littleton or unincorporated Jefferson County for a few reasons (not in any order). 1) only 3 miles from hubbys work 2) rec centers, parks, and walking trails 3) newer home. We had just remodeled a 1978 house in CA, and weren't up for it again 4)good schools 5)because it is a planned community, it is well laid out, well thought out. I wish I lived walking distance to a coffee shop or restaurant, though. Actually, I could walk to Tattered Cover easily enough if not for having to push a double stroller up hill. Anyone know what is going in on the corner of Lucent and HR Pkwy in front of Home Depot??? We'll stay here because I'm tired of moving, it is family friendly, and will be a good place to raise our kids. Is it perfect? No, but no place is. I like it here.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:34 PM

19 posts, read 80,573 times
We moved from California to Denver two years ago. We chose Stapleton, the new urban development where the old airport used to be. We came out and visited a friend here and knew instantly that it's where we wanted to raise our kids. We haven't been disappointed. We love our neighbors and the all the amenities of the neighborhood and the school is awesome. There are so many young children here and the parents are really involved, so the school has to be great - I don't think these parents would settle for anything less. So, for our needs, Stapleton has been a perfect fit.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:52 PM

388 posts, read 287,836 times
Once the remainder of Californians fill up this place, I'm outta here. Denver and surrounding areas are quickly becoming the same place I left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado