Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2014, 02:59 PM

93 posts, read 295,603 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am taking a trip to Vail in a few weeks (mid april) and am looking for some easily accessible caves to play and record music in. Does anyone know of any places around Avon,Vail,Eagle,Minturn,etc that are easily accessible (no spelunking), and offer large rock formations or even better - caves that would naturally amplify sound?

So far, I have come up with a list of the following locations I was hoping to get some more info on:

Hubbard's Cave -
Fulford Cave -
Glenwood Caverns - (admission fee?)
*Kings Row and Historic Fairy Caves (I believe these are part of the Glenwood Caverns?? Can I just walk in there and hang out for a bit, or do I need to do the paid tour?)

Is it too early in the season to even go hiking in/around Vail right now? And if you know of an area not necessarily near Vail, but somewhere closer to Denver I would love to hear your suggestions for that as well.

Thanks! Your knowledge is appreciated,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 03:45 PM

670 posts, read 1,172,114 times
Dude, there is a TON of snow up there right now. Vail ski resort's closing date is April 20. They haven't announced extending their season but several other ski areas up there are staying open until April 27. If you plan on hiking you'll need snowshoes.
Sorry, don't know about caves near Denver. Plenty of rock formations west of Denver. Colorado Parks & Wildlife - Roxborough
Ever hear of Red Rocks? Red Rocks Entertainment Concerts | The Park | Recreation

Old 04-03-2014, 04:08 PM

93 posts, read 295,603 times
I figured it was just too early. I don't mind the snow, or the low temps. But if I need snowshoes, it wouldn't work.

Ofcourse! I just played with a bunch of others last weekend at Red Rocks, it was a huge success. Got a lot of positive feedback from everyone that got to hear us..

I will probably end up just scoping out a spot somewhere in Vail Village or somewhere close by.

thanks though!

Old 04-03-2014, 07:02 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
Glenwood Caverns, which includes Kings Row and Fairy Caves, doesn't seem to fit what you want. It appears that you pay $25 for the entrance fee and tour of the caves, but you can't just wander around on your own. Also, it's a long drive from Vail.

Hubbards Cave has been closed by the Forest Service and, besides, it's a four-wheel drive to get to it. Fulfords Cave looks pretty cool if you can get to it.

You might try looking at some caving specific websites, such as Margaret Harrison's Guide To Caving In The Colorado Rockies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado