Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 02:56 PM

5 posts, read 12,695 times

Advertisements

when I went to Denver and it was cold but the Sun made it all better! From someone who lives in Hawaii where it is 80 degrees everyday for the whole year. The 40 degree weather and sun made me feel like I was in paradise! If Hawaii was just a little bit colder and snowed I wouldn't want to leave here. After living here for your whole life 80 degree weather gets old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 05:17 PM

32 posts, read 154,163 times
I've found the best way to make friends here is to volunteer at something. Work on community projects, church projects, political projects, environmental groups, charities, etc... There are many, many ways to volunteer. In Colorado you're expected to be active, it's part of the culture, and that's where you'll find the nicest people who share your interests.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:19 AM

388 posts, read 328,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdth View Post
In Colorado you're expected to be active, it's part of the culture, and that's where you'll find the nicest people who share your interests.
Expected to be active? Where did that come from and who are these people expecting others to be active? Maybe you're right, but I'm curious to find out more about this...

Old 12-18-2007, 09:24 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,288,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto View Post
Expected to be active? Where did that come from and who are these people expecting others to be active? Maybe you're right, but I'm curious to find out more about this...
i think some expect you to be active, others are just active and if you're not, you might be left by the wayside. i don't think this is the rule, just a tendency. people are into sports and going out and doing things "out there", often times here. not EVERYone, but it is more the culture here. it attracts and retains that, here. lots of biking, hiking, etc to be done here, so... another tendency in people here is to be more the outgoing soccer team captain type - not the rule, just what seems to me to be the tendency. in paris, greenwich village, or parts of chicago, the tendency might be more to hang out and talk or otherwise be arts, wine, food, literature, politics...more of things from the mind, maybe. in denver, it can seem to be more about the volleyball league, watching the broncos on the big screen with all the buds, skiing, sunshine...more of things of the outer world and "doing" and "fun". maybe a little less delving or brooding, here, in ways, even if there are some funky or more eclectic or something enclaves. a little like inrovert vs extravert...

Old 12-18-2007, 09:31 AM

388 posts, read 328,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello-world View Post
i think some expect you to be active, others are just active and if you're not, you might be left by the wayside. i don't think this is the rule, just a tendency. people are into sports and going out and doing things, often times here. not EVERYone, but it is more the culture here. it attracts and retains that, here. lots of biking, hiking, etc to be done here, so... another tendency in people here is to be more the outgoing soccer team captain type - not the rule, just what seems to me to be the tendency. in paris, greenwich village, or parts of chicago, the tendency might be more to hang out and talk or otherwise be arts, wine, food, intellect. in denver, it can seem to be more about the volleyball league, watching the broncos on the big screen with all the buds, skiing, sunshine. almost like extravert versus introvert...
Ah, I see. I wasn't sure if pdth meant active in sports & recreation or something else. Still, I'd like to think everyone does their own thing instead of trying to "belong", if you know what I mean.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:52 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Being 'active' is part of our national psyche, a collective community spirit for mutual supportiveness, bonding together in a universal need to assure our defense and survival. Same for most other countries, groups, tribes, or clans. Even animals do it. One for all and all for one. It's a human condition, its how we survived life in the hostile wilderness of caveman days....and is still a marvelous aspect of life in a community.

Examples: The Amish in PA, getting together to raise a barn for a fellow farmer. Habitat for Humanity. Soup kitchens. Salvation Army. Goodwill. Boy Scouts or hiking clubs setting up and maintaining trailside shelters and mountain paths (Appalachian Trail; here in CO the 10th Mountain Division Hut/Trail system). Tutoring kids that need a hand. Visiting elderly in nursing homes. Helping out at the animal shelter. The list is endless. Pick something. What appeals? Whatever our thing is, do it. Life as a village.

Then there are the non-active folks...ones who go to a dance hall and just sit there; doofi who go to live music or theatre but haven't the brains or couth to applaud the live performers who play for their enjoyment; clueless rank & file of the Me Generation who think only of their own self-absorbed greedy selves. Life as solitary confinement.

The personal dilemma of choosing which life to lead was marvelously demonstrated by that old movie "Its A Wonderful Life" which may seem a bit cheesy to a lot of people, but it highlights perfectly the choices we face. George Bailey (Jimmy Stewart) participated in making Bedford Falls a heavenly place to live, while Mr. Potter attempted to make Bedford Falls a hellish pit of greed that served only him. These choices belong to us all.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-18-2007 at 10:03 AM..

Old 12-18-2007, 09:56 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,288,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto View Post
Ah, I see. I wasn't sure if pdth meant active in sports & recreation or something else. Still, I'd like to think everyone does their own thing instead of trying to "belong", if you know what I mean.
"something else" that's funny.

as for your other comment on "belonging", i guess i'd just let you sense that for yourself relative to other places and your own views. my own opinion's probably pretty obvious as you read whatever i post throughout this thing, while i do find it's a liveable, even great in some ways, place overall. (i hope that doesn't sound too "prozac" for you )

Last edited by hello-world; 12-18-2007 at 10:20 AM..

Old 12-18-2007, 08:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Any brand/model recommendations and/or price range?
If you have kids, get a cool mist rather than warm mist so they don't burn themselves.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:49 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
If you have kids, get a cool mist rather than warm mist so they don't burn themselves.
I think you are referring to vaporizers, like for use when we have congestion from a cold? I was referring to home humidifiers...unless they really are the same basic thing...I really don't know...but we do have the cool mist for the reason you mentioned and also the steam one you can use with a Vicks in the basin...Interestingly, I had more problems with dry weather in winter in California than I have had here in Colorado on my second winter already. In California we get these horrible Santa Ana winds for days in December with eight percent humidity, drives me nuts, makes a cold miserable.

The other one I heard about is a whole house humidifier which supposedly are not that expensive, like less than $200??? hooked up to your central furnace system....not sure...just starting to research.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
We use the terms humidifier and vaporizer interchangeably at work when counseling patients. We have one on the furnace in our house, DH said it cost about $80; that was 18 yrs ago when we put it in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado