Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 04:22 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,113,429 times

Advertisements

Not terribly persuasive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 02:55 PM

18 posts, read 59,250 times
This thread is really interesting. I have not done extensive research on this, but I have heard that there is an increased incidence rate north of the 40th parallel, which is Baseline road in Boulder. I am guessing it has something to do with anything of the following: Radon from the rocks, rocky flats, cosmic radiation from the altitude. I guess it's one of those you can't let bother you, I live north of Baseline, you can't live in fear!

Old 06-29-2010, 03:20 PM

Probably has more to do with reduced levels of vitamin D absorbed at a young age as they've found that only people moving North before age 15 assume the higher risk there.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:22 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,474,655 times
so your statement leads one to think that people living in that area and having younger children might consider giving them additional vitamin D to supplement what they are missing from daylight???

I know that parents usually give young children--babies and toddlers vitamin supplements--but --personally--as my children aged and started to eat a well-balanced diet their pediatrician was not that concerneda bout them taking vitamins...

Old 07-01-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
so your statement leads one to think that people living in that area and having younger children might consider giving them additional vitamin D to supplement what they are missing from daylight???

I know that parents usually give young children--babies and toddlers vitamin supplements--but --personally--as my children aged and started to eat a well-balanced diet their pediatrician was not that concerneda bout them taking vitamins...
I don't think enough is known to jump to that conclusion but I did hear a nutritional expert on the other night who said that Vitamin D was the only worthwhile one and that all other supplements should be thrown in the trash.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:18 AM

26,111 posts, read 48,696,623 times
Valid peer-review science continues to hint at a link between Vit D deficiency and a number of diseases or conditions. Truth is that the USDA RDA of 400 IU/Day for Vit D is just a MINIMUM for preventing Ricketts. That RDA of 400 IUs has little to do with optimal health. Research points to 1000 IUs per day for good health. IIFC, Vit D supplements need to be taken with a Calcium supplement to assure proper uptake. My source is the Center for Science in the Public Interest, aka The Food Police. A link between MS and low Vit D may yet prove to be a valid issue, as this news item indicates.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-01-2010 at 10:30 AM..

Old 07-10-2010, 02:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,556 times
I was just diagnosed MS and moved to Colorado 25 years ago from the Southeast US. Nobody in my family has had MS. Guess I got more than I bargained for by coming here. Beautiful place with great skiing, but this MS stuff sucks. Is any one on Tysabri & Ampyra? What is your experience? I was also diagnosed with Stenosis & am recovering from surgery for that condiditon. Is it too soon to be starting on these drugs? I am not sure what symptoms were caused by which condition. My neuro says he is positive I have MS, but the surgeon says no way could I have both at the same time. Anybody out there have any ideas?? Thanks

Old 07-10-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck54 View Post
I was just diagnosed MS and moved to Colorado 25 years ago from the Southeast US. Nobody in my family has had MS. Guess I got more than I bargained for by coming here. Beautiful place with great skiing, but this MS stuff sucks. Is any one on Tysabri & Ampyra? What is your experience? I was also diagnosed with Stenosis & am recovering from surgery for that condiditon. Is it too soon to be starting on these drugs? I am not sure what symptoms were caused by which condition. My neuro says he is positive I have MS, but the surgeon says no way could I have both at the same time. Anybody out there have any ideas?? Thanks
Chuck, you might find this site to be of help:

Home : National MS Society

I believe there are some forums out there for MS sufferers. You could also check out the health and wellness one here. Since only 1/10% of the population you might not get too much useful info. on this particular one.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:09 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,320,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Probably has more to do with reduced levels of vitamin D absorbed at a young age as they've found that only people moving North before age 15 assume the higher risk there.

Not sure but don't you get more sun in the high elevations? If those figures are correct there's got to be a reason.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:11 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,320,239 times
What is the average age for getting MS? I've knew someone that had MS and didn't know anything was at all wrong with the person. I guess it was a mild case. Then a friend's daughter got it at a very young age and is wheelchaired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado