Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 09:14 PM

5 posts, read 8,803 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

We’ll be visiting Colorado next month to find a home. We’ll be focusing on new construction in several different areas: Fort Collins, Denver, and Colorado Springs.

Is the right approach to work with the assigned realtor for each community or should we work with a realtor in each area (Fort Collins, Denver, and Colorado Springs)?

Dealing with one realtor per area would be more convenient, but I’m not sure if it is an acceptable practice.

Thanks in advance for your advice,

Pat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 09:17 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Check you email, and use a specific one for each area. They live in the area and know it. My reco for Castle Rock/Parker doesn't know downtown Denver.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Need to do some homework before you leave, get a list of recent listings and narrow down a few choices and send to a realtor BEFORE you arrive, with a PRECISE direction on your Musts and wants. They will return a few more ideas to you, then you weed through those and have appointments set before you arrive.

While in the area, stay in Private guest homes (within each desired location) so you get the inside scoop on the area, and good suggestions on the areas.
Hospitality exchange - Wikitravel

Research the activities you would choose if living there and attend some meetings / dinners / events.
If you seeking a church, look into local schedules and arrange to visit several in each weekend (Many have Sat night / midweek services)

#1... ALWAYS go meet the tax assessor before making an offer on a house... The one across the street might have significantly lower taxes (different schools / fire ...) Your next buyer will purchase across the street.

#2, usually best to rent while seeking a neighborhood.

#3 YMMV on using a realtor. Choose wisely, and don't waste their time (or yours) There are ezr ways to buy a house.

#4 If you plan to make equity gain... You make that on your Purchase Price, Sales price is YTBD. Buy wise.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:30 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,021 times
You may want to talk to realtor's and find one that has friends in the other cities and is comfortable with a contract that says if a property is within Co. Springs you'll buy through Joe, within Fort Collins through Amy, or in any other area through Tod. I haven't had that experience because when I was buying I already had the city selected. However, I would suggest moving into an apartment for about six months to a year while getting to know the city if you have no prior experience with it. It helps to know which places you really like going to. If you buy 20 miles from the places you like going a few times a week, you may end up kicking yourself for years.

Using that hospitality exchange is a great idea for learning about the area.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:56 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
Where will you be working? Colorado Springs and Ft. Collins are NOWHERE near each other. If you work from home, then yes, search each of these areas, but if you don't then I would look at the areas near where you will be working.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:28 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Where will you be working? Colorado Springs and Ft. Collins are NOWHERE near each other. If you work from home, then yes, search each of these areas, but if you don't then I would look at the areas near where you will be working.
..and even if you work from home or are retired, use some other criteria besides "there's a house there" to narrow it down to one (or at least 2) regions. If you really want to consider such a large area equally, then consider staying in each town for some time and looking around on your own before getting realtors involved.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:51 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
My gosh, that's an enormous amount of ground to cover. Are you sure you can't narrow it down a little before getting a Realtor involved? Also, I don't really know the protocol, but I think it's unfair to use three different Realtors. If I expended my time and expertise driving you from housing development to housing development, only to be kicked to the curb in favor of another town's agent, I'd be ticked to say the least.

Last edited by randomparent; 05-13-2014 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 05-13-2014, 04:01 PM

2,394 posts, read 5,000,636 times
That's like saying you want to live in Philadelphia, Wilmington, Washington DC, or Baltimore. That's the same distance

Old 05-13-2014, 04:01 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
My gosh, that's an enormous amount of ground to cover. Are you sure you can't narrow it down a little before getting a Realtor involved. Also, I don't really know the protocol, but I think it's unfair to use three different Realtors. If I expended my time and expertise driving you from housing development to housing development, only to be kicked to the curb in favor of another town's agent, I'd be ticked to say the least.
I think you are right. I remember signing an agreement that I would work with my agent only. I had the right to terminate the agreement at any time, but I worked exclusively with her while house hunting.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:05 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
As A Realtor and in Denver, I'll chime in. If I were in the market to buy, I would use a buyer's agent in each area. There is not one broker in Colorado that would know the market in Ft. Collins, Denver, and Colorado Springs.

I think brokers should only work in an area they understand well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado