Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Colorado more like California or Illinois?
California 22 50.00%
Illinois 3 6.82%
Neither? 17 38.64%
Other? 2 4.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 06:49 PM

854 posts, read 1,482,152 times

Advertisements

I think Denver itself feels somewhat like a West Coast city that was somehow placed near the middle of the country, but the other places I've been to in eastern Colorado have a Great Plains feeling that's quite similar to Kansas and Nebraska. I think Fort Collins has more in common with Lincoln, Nebraska than with somewhere like Bend, Oregon or Reno.

I'd imagine the mountainous/arid western 3/5 of Colorado are a lot like Utah and Wyoming and would definitely feel classically Western though I've only been to eastern Colorado.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:54 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,077,203 times
loads of Californians are moving to Colorado. here in SoCal i see Colorado license plates alot.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:11 PM

911 posts, read 2,155,714 times
I really have a hard time comparing it to either..

Old 05-20-2014, 10:33 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I say neither; its quite different from both.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:03 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
Colorado is its own place. It isn't quite like any other state. Some places may have a similar feel to other cities in other states, but as a whole, Colorado has its own uniqueness.

With that said, a lot of California developers have designed and built a lot of the suburban neighborhoods in Colorado, so a suburban Colorado neighborhood may feel like a suburban California neighborhood without the palm trees. A lot of Californians seem to be moving to Colorado, too giving the state a more "west coast" feel.

Colorado sports rivalries generally are oriented to the west of the state. The Broncos play the San Diego Chargers and Oakland Raiders twice a year. The Rockies play nearly half their annual schedule against the Los Angeles Dodgers, San Francisco Giants, San Diego Padres, and Arizona Diamondbacks. The states two major universities are in the Pac-12 and Mountain West conferences.

Greeley has a solidly "mid-west" feel to it more so than any other front range city.

Boulder is very much its own little world, but it does share some commonalities with other major university towns.

Pueblo feels like it could have been a city in New Mexico due to its climate.

Grand Junction feels a lot like St. George, Utah. Both cities are the most isolated major cities in their respective states, and both are set in some pretty impressive geography with some significant attractions nearby. Zion National Park is more impressive than Colorado National Monument, the concept for comparison is still valid.

Leadville is the country's highest incorporated city. In the winter it feels like the coldest place on earth. Conversely just a short drive south of Leadville is the Great Sand Dunes National Park, a place that on a mid-summer day feels as hot as the Sahara.

Eastern Colorado is classic "flyover country" with a "mid-west" feel to it.

There are so many more comparisons you can make between a specific place in Colorado to a specific place somewhere else. What makes Colorado so awesome is it ties these places all together in 103,000 or so square miles. There are world class resorts in Aspen and Vail to major cultural sites like Mesa Verde. There's bustling cities like Denver and Colorado Springs and there are small rural towns like Burlington and Rocky Ford. There's mountains, 52 of which surpass 14,000 feet, there's desert, and there's plains.

It all ties together to make Colorado a pretty special place.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:15 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
loads of Californians are moving to Colorado.
Loads of Californians are moving everywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
here in SoCal i see Colorado license plates alot.
Wouldn't that mean they moved from Colorado?

I didn't vote either way because it's hard to compare in either case and needs to be divided down into smaller sections to make any kind of comparison.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:52 PM

670 posts, read 1,172,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I say neither; its quite different from both.

I didn't vote because the answer is NEITHER.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:49 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
I wish it had California's food and Illinois' green.

It is pretty much half way between California and Illinois, so in a way Colorado is a hybrid of the two, even if it didn't want to be.

That being said, I never really say, "that reminds me of California or Illinois", or anywhere else for that matter. However, looking east in any Front Range (or eastward) neighborhood will give you the feeling of being in the Midwest. -JMO.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:04 PM

377 posts, read 1,054,388 times
Some things kinda like California. Some things kinds like Illinois. Big picture: neither.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:19 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipchik View Post

I didn't vote because the answer is NEITHER.
I added a category for that, now you may vote.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado