Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2014, 12:59 AM

73 posts, read 215,175 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in Massachusetts and thinking of relocating (employment permitting of course) to Colorado within the next few years. I've been in the Boston area for two years so far for work, and all I have to say is if I didn't work here, I'd be out of this state in a heartbeat.

I'm 25, male, of Asian decent, born and raised in suburban Connecticut. I lean liberal for social issues (civil rights, LGBT rights, etc) but staunchly believe in all facets of the Constitution, and am of a "live and let live" attitude ie. "respect my rights and I'll respect yours". I'm also a gun owner, which is a very difficult thing to be in Mass, especially the Boston area. I'm not a big "city" person, and I prefer suburban/rural living to city life. Racial diversity is somewhat important to me, but not a huge deal, since I grew up in a mostly white community and get along pretty well with people from all walks of life. I enjoy nature and being in a clean environment.

I'm wondering if Colorado, specifically the Denver area, would be a good fit for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 05:59 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,101,735 times
The biggest issue may come down to what you define as a "big city" person. Being from the East coast your definition of big may be something like a Metro of 7 to 8 million, or it might specifically be a reference to not liking the style of New York. Denver has a Metro of around 3m. If that isn't too big for you, I don't see anything else that would cause it to be a poor fit. The city leans liberal, is still constitutionally grounded, and the entire state is pro gun rights. I'd say we have some good racial diversity in Denver, and racism is largely non-existent (in my experience) within the cities of Colorado.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:07 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,118,381 times
The gun laws are decent for now here in CO, but we've seen some discriminatory and capricious laws passed against lawful gun owners in this state recently. Mostly paid for by yours truly Michael Bloomberg. I honestly feel they'll get worse as this state becomes more like CA.

As being a gun owner, you will breath a breath of freedom here compared to MA. I'd say the most onerous laws we need to contend with at the state/local level are no FTF sales, no mags over 15rd, $10 mandatory fee to exercise a Constitutional right, Denver city AWB. Not sure about the front range, but here on the western slope the gun regulations are flagrantly not recognized/obeyed.

Having considered NH, and having spend much time in the North East, be prepared for a shocking difference from everything from culture to topography/geography.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:50 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,940,124 times
The small town of Nucla, Colorado
(pop 800) located on the Western Slope about a 2 hour drive south from Grand Junction, actually passed a gun law last year that requires every household in Nucla to have at least one gun. In Nucla that's kind of like passing a law that everyone must breathe air. Exceptions are made for those too poor to buy a firearm or those whose religion forbids the use of weapons. So far, this law has not been actively enforced because a) People in Nucla normally have 10 or 12 guns, never mind 1 and b) Nucla has no law enforcement. An anti-gun group from out of state is trying to take Nucla to court over this but with little success so far.

Last edited by Colorado Rambler; 06-06-2014 at 09:16 AM..

Old 06-06-2014, 07:03 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,478,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamma19 View Post
I'm currently living in Massachusetts and thinking of relocating (employment permitting of course) to Colorado within the next few years.
That is the part that you likely will find the very hardest to overcome--and more difficult, not less difficult, as time goes on. Colorado is following California's very poor example of becoming more and more hostile to business and to people who still hold that silly notion of actually working for a living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado