Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 09:17 PM

835 posts, read 2,855,761 times

Advertisements

since i am gonna live in co i really wanna get good at snowboarding and i have some limited experience but not alot, i got the basics down of balancing and stoppin but wanna build bette skills and see just how far i can go with the sport so what areas would suggest for a beginer who is allready got the basics? again its something i really wanna do so i need to start easy and build up not doing a triple diamond slope my first day in co lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 10:32 PM

[img]http://smilies.vidahost.com/cwm/cwm/****.gif[/img] lol ok

Old 12-14-2007, 06:45 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,920,312 times
Start working out. With the increase in altitude you will get tired very quickly. It's really difficult to increase skills if you're outa breath and got rubbery legs. I would recommend boarding at Loveland. It's closer and cheaper than the major resorts and has nice wide runs necessary to be able to improve skills. Hopefully we'll have lots of snow to board till Easter

Old 12-14-2007, 07:58 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthamove View Post
since i am gonna live in co i really wanna get good at snowboarding and i have some limited experience but not alot, i got the basics down of balancing and stoppin but wanna build bette skills and see just how far i can go with the sport so what areas would suggest for a beginer who is allready got the basics? again its something i really wanna do so i need to start easy and build up not doing a triple diamond slope my first day in co lol
Ski Cooper? Monarch?

Old 12-14-2007, 08:12 AM

355 posts, read 1,403,819 times
a lot of leg workouts....loveland is the place....

Old 12-14-2007, 08:15 AM

k thx everyone so squats, calf raises, some jogging, strecthing, maybe jump rope??? anything to help legs and heighten endurance

Old 12-14-2007, 08:16 AM

getting season pass to loveland o yea!!!!!!!

Old 12-14-2007, 08:31 AM

355 posts, read 1,403,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthamove View Post
k thx everyone so squats, calf raises, some jogging, strecthing, maybe jump rope??? anything to help legs and heighten endurance
exactly...then just be ready for the mountains I don't know how you are on a board but it takes time to get good....i still get sore and i ran and did leg workouts for months before i moved and i've been boarding 16 times....powder is exhausting especially at high altitude

Old 12-14-2007, 09:06 AM

yea even when i was only at 8000 ft i was a lil fatidued just walkin around but hell yea i am ready for the rockies

Old 12-14-2007, 03:16 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
if you're a little fatigued just walking around at 8,000 elevation, you're nowhere in shape to be able to 'board at Loveland's altitude.

wherever you are now, start seriously working out on endurance type activity. The leg exercises are good for getting the muscles toned up, but you need to be able to breathe and have oxygen available to the muscles at altitude. You might try swimming and/or bicycling at lower elevations for some distances. I know that when I've been in my best shape for skiing in Colorado, I could easily bicycle ride 40-50 miles at sea level in an afternoon with moderate hills along the way while my coastal friends (who were much younger and better athletes than I'd ever been) were struggling to keep the pace ... and I'm not a fast rider.

Also, when you're a "beginner" boarder, you will use a lot more energy than when you get the hang of it, just to get down the hill. Between wasting muscle energy trying to stay on the board and moving, and the many times you'll be picking yourself back up after falling ... you'll be exhausted after many of the early days of your 'boarding experience. IMO, you'll save yourself a lot of wasted time and effort by taking pro classes to get started. Loveland has a very good school with excellent instructors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado