Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2014, 12:56 AM

238 posts, read 696,211 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone... I will be heading down to the Great Sand Dunes NP soon and would appreciate any suggestions on where to rent sandboards/sleds.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 08:33 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,668,226 times
Go to the Sand Dunes NP website, look under Plan Your Visit, then Outdoor Activities, then Sandboarding and Sand Skiing. There's a complete how-to article, plus suggestions for where to rent equipment.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:13 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,938,481 times
GSDNP is my favorite national park. And from my experience on the dunes, it's a PITA to walk up them- imagine 2 steps up, 1 step back. So....carrying something awkward is a burden, and the dunes are huge. I see people on the dunes with snowboards, but we have a ton of fun without them. So if you can't find one to rent, take heart: You can still slide down just fine on your backside, or -as we prefer- take big hops and leaps from the top and it feels like you're taking steps on the moon!

Old 07-01-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Go to the Sand Dunes NP website, look under Plan Your Visit, then Outdoor Activities, then Sandboarding and Sand Skiing. There's a complete how-to article, plus suggestions for where to rent equipment.
Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!

Old 07-01-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
GSDNP is my favorite national park. And from my experience on the dunes, it's a PITA to walk up them- imagine 2 steps up, 1 step back. So....carrying something awkward is a burden, and the dunes are huge. I see people on the dunes with snowboards, but we have a ton of fun without them. So if you can't find one to rent, take heart: You can still slide down just fine on your backside, or -as we prefer- take big hops and leaps from the top and it feels like you're taking steps on the moon!
Appreciate your input. We're very fit and would love to take on the challenge!

Old 07-08-2014, 01:53 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,004 times
Here is a video about sand-sliding in GSDNP in case you missed it…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLtf...ature=youtu.be

You should keep in mind that great Sand Dunes is in one of the windiest, most desolate parts of the state, which is why so much sand has naturally piled up there over the centuries. One of the most miserable trips of my life was getting sandblasted and flea-bitten over memorial day weekend just south of the park a few years back. I'm not saying you shouldn't go, you should, but have a backup plan in case the weather doesn't co-operate. The Rio Grande and Cumbres-Toltec railroads, Zapata Falls, as well many pretty spots in the surrounding mountains are all good options.

I also agree that glissading can be just as fun and a lot more practical than renting and hauling extra equipment up there, especially if you hope to cover any distance at the same time.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:01 AM

Thanks for the information, everyone.

We had a wonderful time at the dunes! Rented sandboards from Kristi Mountain Sports and spent several hours at the national park. (They provided us with wax for the boards which was appreciated.)

We brought plenty of food, water, and sunscreen along with being in very good physical shape so had an enjoyable time with plenty of runs even in the 90-something degree heat. My only lesson learned was to bring socks next time as it prevents the straps from rubbing on your feet and other folks told me it helps with the hot sand.

Highly recommend the park to others who are thinking about making the trek.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:38 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,668,226 times
Thanks for the follow-up. Glad you had a good time!

Old 07-09-2014, 08:23 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequeño_Bonsai View Post
along with being in very good physical shape
And you mentioned that twice, just so we know.
Thanks for following up anyways, it's always nice to see where threads lead to.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:38 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,092,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequeño_Bonsai View Post
Thanks for the information, everyone.

We had a wonderful time at the dunes! Rented sandboards from Kristi Mountain Sports and spent several hours at the national park. (They provided us with wax for the boards which was appreciated.)

We brought plenty of food, water, and sunscreen along with being in very good physical shape so had an enjoyable time with plenty of runs even in the 90-something degree heat. My only lesson learned was to bring socks next time as it prevents the straps from rubbing on your feet and other folks told me it helps with the hot sand.

Highly recommend the park to others who are thinking about making the trek.
Place is out of this world. I spent three days there in early June after I signed a lease in Denver. I hiked the perimeter and High Dune. High Dune was a crazy hike with great views at the top when I wasn't being sand blasted. Hiking up Medano Creek to Horse Canyon it got crazy. Burnt the top of my feet. I can barely wait to return when the creek is dried up so I can follow it beyond Horse Canyon where it began to get knee deep and swift. I am around 215 pounds and it almost knocked me over. Best day was hiking all the down the sand sheet and up part of the western dunes.

Sand Sheet: https://www.flickr.com/photos/massey...7645010939082/ (All I did with the photos was auto correct)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado