Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 11:30 AM

14 posts, read 45,923 times

Advertisements

It is my dream to go west and grow with the country. Any town in Colorado will do really provided the cost of living is where I'd like it to be. I feel that Pueblo might be the place, given the great cost of living, but I'd like some more information from the people that live there. First, how do you Puebloans feel recreational pot will be received? I can't find any dispensaries in Pueblo at the moment. Is this likely to change? Is there a pro-pot feel to the town, an anti-herb sentiment, or indifference? How likely is the police department to share those views? How does Pueblo sort out its water situation?

I've checked out a bit of the information on the weather, but are the swings as bad as some people have made them out to be? It won't be the biggest deal if so for I intend to cultivate indoors. Will I have to contend with severe drops or rises in temperature from day to day? Is the lack of humidity so severe that even a humidifier won't help? How well does Pueblo handle the increase in power consumption during the summer? Any power outages? Is it as dusty as some folks have claimed?

I'll assume that crime is halfway between the worst description and the Utopian view of Pueblo and probably on par or slightly better than what I'm currently dealing with in the South Bronx. From what I've read I'd be safer in the northern and western parts of Pueblo. Is that correct? If so where are the dividing lines and how sharp is the division? Cross one street and the bible study group on the church lawn becomes a dice game in front of a cathouse? How bad is it and where exactly are the tracks you don't want to be on the other side of?

How bad is the light pollution in Pueblo? I imagine it's not bad since it's a smaller town, but from a resident's perspective how is the stargazing? Will I have to leave town to get the darkness I require? Can you guys see the milky way or is Pueblo already too bright for that? How's the library system in Pueblo? Is it part of a larger system or stand-alone? Are bookstores available where periodicals can be had or will I simply have to subscribe to Hightimes? How are the roads in Pueblo? Are they well maintained? I drive a beetle, just how terrible is this?

That's all I have for now, thanks for taking the time to read this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 11:43 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marxmon186 View Post
It is my dream to go west and grow with the country. Any town in Colorado will do really provided the cost of living is where I'd like it to be. I feel that Pueblo might be the place, given the great cost of living, but I'd like some more information from the people that live there. First, how do you Puebloans feel recreational pot will be received? I can't find any dispensaries in Pueblo at the moment. Is this likely to change? Is there a pro-pot feel to the town, an anti-herb sentiment, or indifference? How likely is the police department to share those views? How does Pueblo sort out its water situation?
Currently you can grow MJ in the city but not sell it. You can sell it in the suburbs but I suspect by fall when we vote on the sales tax for selling it the city it will be legal.

I think the police are ok with it. Have not heard anything.

Pueblo has plenty of water and the board of water works says they will let people buy water.

Quote:
I've checked out a bit of the information on the weather, but are the swings as bad as some people have made them out to be? It won't be the biggest deal if so for I intend to cultivate indoors. Will I have to contend with severe drops or rises in temperature from day to day? Is the lack of humidity so severe that even a humidifier won't help? How well does Pueblo handle the increase in power consumption during the summer? Any power outages? Is it as dusty as some folks have claimed?
Pueblo can get over 100 in the summer and below 0 in the winter. Usually its not that hot or cold. Electric rates are a bit high here though.

Quote:
I'll assume that crime is halfway between the worst description and the Utopian view of Pueblo and probably on par or slightly better than what I'm currently dealing with in the South Bronx. From what I've read I'd be safer in the northern and western parts of Pueblo. Is that correct? If so where are the dividing lines and how sharp is the division? Cross one street and the bible study group on the church lawn becomes a dice game in front of a cathouse? How bad is it and where exactly are the tracks you don't want to be on the other side of?
Stay out of the lower east side and Bessemer and you should be ok.

Quote:
How bad is the light pollution in Pueblo? I imagine it's not bad since it's a smaller town, but from a resident's perspective how is the stargazing? Will I have to leave town to get the darkness I require? Can you guys see the milky way or is Pueblo already too bright for that? How's the library system in Pueblo? Is it part of a larger system or stand-alone? Are bookstores available where periodicals can be had or will I simply have to subscribe to Hightimes? How are the roads in Pueblo? Are they well maintained? I drive a beetle, just how terrible is this?
Its not like being in the rural part of the state but overall its not bad. I can see stars and the milky way from my house.

The library system is very good and one of the best in the state, IMO. Its part of the Colorado library association.

Pueblo has a few book stores. The one I go to is Barnes and Nobel.

The roads are ok, could be better could be worse. You should be fine in your bug as I had one a few years ago and never had a issue.

Quote:
That's all I have for now, thanks for taking the time to read this.
If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

Old 07-11-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Electric rates are a bit high here though...Stay out of the lower east side and Bessemer and you should be ok.
I imagine that the rates would be a dream compared to New York. Will the rates be so high that my indoor marijuana grow will offset the low cost of living? Sadly, I don't see Bessemer on any of the maps nor is the LES clearly marked. What is the lower east side lower and to the east of? Where does Bessemer start/end? For that matter where does the LES? Also I forgot, what's the situation regarding poker and disc golf? Are there any home poker games going like in Indiana or is that forbidden? Are there disc golf courses at CSU-Pueblo and Pueblo City Park as the PDGA website claims?

Many thanks for the information.

Old 07-11-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
I imagine that the rates would be a dream compared to New York. Will the rates be so high that my indoor marijuana grow will offset the low cost of living? Sadly, I don't see Bessemer on any of the maps nor is the LES clearly marked. What is the lower east side lower and to the east of? Where does Bessemer start/end? For that matter where does the LES? Also I forgot, what's the situation regarding poker and disc golf? Are there any home poker games going like in Indiana or is that forbidden? Are there disc golf courses at CSU-Pueblo and Pueblo City Park as the PDGA website claims?

Many thanks for the information.
Generally speaking the east side is east of I-25 and around 4th street.

Bessemer is generally around Northern west of I-25 and east of Prairie.

Pueblo does have Frisbee golf at the city park golf course on the south side. I can't help with with the poker question.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:19 PM

22 posts, read 33,030 times
You can see the boundaries of Pueblo's neighborhoods by going to google.com/mapmaker zooming in on Pueblo, hitting the "Browse" button & then typing in: Neighborhood

Old 07-11-2014, 05:56 PM

Thank you kindly folks! Now if you had to guess, how many of the rentals in Pueblo will ban smoking?

Old 07-11-2014, 10:06 PM

That is a good question. I could not even guess.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:00 AM

That's quite alright. I'll just call all the renters in Pueblo and inquire. I imagine somewhere in that fair town a landlord is waiting for a smoking tenant from the northeast. I think I'm just what Pueblo needs. How long has Bessemer been a trouble spot? I love the name and it's a shame it's to be avoided. Would a campaign to "Take back Bessemer" gain traction or is it hopelessly idealistic? Is Pueblo a town that can rally behind a cause or is it more of a "live and let live, keep to ourselves" sort of place? What part of town is the City Park in? How safe is this park? How is the downtown area looking these days? How many museums does the town have? How is the local government structured in Pueblo? Are they making the right moves for Pueblo in your opinion? Is Pueblo being maintained and improved?

Old 07-12-2014, 07:26 AM

Bessemer is actually not a bad part of town like what your thinking from bring back east. My boyfriend lives there and likes it. That area has some great restaurants and a little "downtown" as at one time it was its own city. One of the main regional hospitals is there. I just tell people who are new to the area that might want to avoid it.

Pueblo is a live and let live town but we do get behind things. The downtown is a great example. I have a thread on it if you get a chance you should look it up. We built a riverwalk/ convention center and now going to expand both and build a arena.
My dream is for Pueblo to get a few sky scrapers.

The city park is nice and safe. It's located on the south side.

Pueblo has a great art and culture scene for a city of its size. We get musicals have art galleries. In fact I am a huge supporter of the arts because I feel that towns are judged in part by how good their art scene is. Pueblo, also, has a lot of fairs and seems to be a event driven town. The largest by far is the Colorado State Fair in August.

Lately I have not been happy with the city council. There are some on the council who just don't know how to run a city. I hope they do not get re elected.

Overall though Pueblo is a better town but there is always room for improvement.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:34 AM

Thanks so much for the information!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado