Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 01:26 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times

Advertisements

The unemployment statistics hide some pretty unpleasant facts about the Colorado economy. First, because of Colorado's popularity with transplants--especially those with formidable job skills who can saturate the skilled job market--many Coloradans, new or old residents, are often underemployed--forced into accepting jobs below their qualifications. That means that they often have a hard time making it financially, though they are not on the unemployment rolls. It also means that those underemployed Coloradans often occupy low level jobs that would normally be available to unskilled or semi-skilled workers. The result is that Colorado--because of that, and because of Colorado's relatively high living costs--is often a pretty hostile place for entry level or unskilled workers. Even those types of workers who were born and grew up in Colorado often are forced to leave the state to find employment. In short, Colorado can be a pretty crappy place for those lacking higher level job skills or those who are low-income.

The best advice that I can give to anyone planning on relocating to Colorado is to bring one of the following (or both):

1) Money, a lot of it, and/or a substantial income from somewhere else.

2) Very formidable and marketable job skills--and a willingness to very likely be compensated less for them than one would be in many other places.

Last edited by jazzlover; 07-21-2014 at 02:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 12:21 AM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennmagi View Post
We are a low income family... kids are 13 and 9 ...schools ...wondering if there is one place better then the other

Safe ...

employment ...places to get jobs...

Safe places to live?

This has been my observation about Colorado and perhaps elsewhere.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:19 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,099,388 times
What does accessibility mean in the chart above?

Old 07-22-2014, 08:24 AM

2,394 posts, read 5,000,636 times
Probably being near job, the city, parks, etc.. I would think. Cheaper is living out in the boonies

Old 07-22-2014, 09:50 AM

That would make sense. I would've thought of that as proximity, but I suppose accessibility works also. Really it comes down to what you want proximity to. I found 2 and a half because several of the things I wanted proximity to are near the neighborhood. In my estimate, 2 and a half was great because we really shouldn't expect all 3. Unfortunately, in some parts of the country you can only pick one.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:48 AM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
I agree that accessibility could have been linked with ammenities rather than safety.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:21 AM

2 posts, read 4,172 times
Thank you all for the discouraging support. With the first post yes both of us were unemployed but I have since accepted a position in Keystone and will be moving there in a few days. Starting out in Employee housing and saving up to get the rest of the family there. Yes I have been following the unemployment rate and reading about the homeless rate that's going on in Colorado. There has been 4 to 5 hours a day spent on researching areas of Colorado and the things going on there, including the fraking.

We are trying to be smart about our move. As far as the housing thing goes, we are technically not getting forclosure but making the contract for deed contract null and void due to the owner's neglect to follow through on one minor thing. Okay actually two things, never gave us an inspection report on the property like it states in the contract and we found out the house has asbestos. So every winter in this house we are being poisioned by the air.

I have gotten a job and two places have already called my husband for interviews but he cant get there yet. So it wont take my husband long to find a job, his expertise is cooking and management of restaurants. As far as the children are the youngest is getting a lot better and I am not as worried as first stated. Once we get there I know the school will retest and observe him, we want a second opinion anyway. His med dr doesn't even read the reports from his therapists to see how he has improved with his behavior. The doctor just wants to keep him on meds. In a town that has limited doctors, these children need better then this.

Yes we would like to live out of the city more country living. I have been watching a few ads on places for rent that are more in the country and about in our price range. I want my own greenhouse eventually. We grow what ever vegetables we can and I bake bread daily. We try to be very environmentally friendly as much as we can and teach the children to recycle and to take care of the earth. We dream of being somewhere in Colorado that when we sit on the porch we could be looking at the mountains. These children also do not truly know what a forest looks like, and they need to experience life that is much bigger then them self.

Last edited by jennmagi; 08-01-2014 at 07:32 AM..

Old 08-01-2014, 08:16 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,937,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
From the Bureau of Labor Statistics

Unemployment Rates for States - Monthly Rankings - Seasonally Adjusted
June 2014

COLORADO is #19 with 5.5% unemployment
Keep in mind however that Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed are as varied as our amazing state. For example, Pueblo has an unemployment rate of 6.3% and the region I live in has close to 7%. Naturally, the places with the lowest unemployment also tend to be more expensive to live in. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Colorado Springs might be a possibility, but they have higher unemployment as well.

Last edited by Yac; 08-08-2014 at 07:09 AM..

Old 08-29-2014, 04:56 PM

97 posts, read 170,086 times
Hi there! I agree with most of the posters who say that you should probably consider a move to another state, as CO is pretty high. If you're dead set on CO, though, I think Pueblo or S. Co Springs would probably be okay for you.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
I wish the owners of this site knew how to disruptive it was to the communication when links were being constantly removed. Unfortunate, because I was interested in what Colorado Rambler had to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado