Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 07:50 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
That sounds nice. I haven't done much in outdoor stuff yet. Garden of the gods only and driving through the mountains. Just been chaos with the move. I'm still couch surfing.
If snakes don't scare you, you should check out Castlewood Canyon State Park south of Parker. Normally they'd be mostly in hibernation right now, but it's been so warm you might see some. Entrance fee is $7 and there's about 8 miles worth of hiking trails.

Colorado Parks & Wildlife - Castlewood Canyon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 12:27 AM

603 posts, read 930,864 times
Quote:
There is abundant recreation, but do you really see yourself hiking EVERY week? I wanted to be a snowboarder, until I saw the price tag of that sport.
I won't hike every week. One week I'll hike, the next climb a 14er, after that go white water rafting, then maybe kayaking or mountain biking, and of course skiing and snowboarding.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:42 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,414,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
For about a year now I have been thinking of moving to Colorado (Colorado Springs most likely), but after spending hours and hours reading about living there I am realizing this might not be the smartest move for me. I really don't know anymore.

Currently I live in NJ. I have lived here most of my life. I live in Sussex county right now, which is nicer than some other areas in NJ, but it is getting more and more expensive to live here. I'm also miserable every summer because of the humidity which often lasts until late fall.

People around here always seem so stressed, and I am finding that I'm becoming like this too. I guess having to worry about the high cost of living that is only getting worse, the traffic, the miserable weather and so on will do that to a person.

I have been looking for a place that is more affordable than NJ, not as humid, and a place that a singe 39 year old animal lover would fit in. I don't require much. I work from home and would be able to do so if I moved. I am not a big party person, so I don't need to be around bars or clubs.

I would love to just find a small home, with some type of yard so I can have a small garden and for my dogs to play in, and I would like to have some privacy, so an area where one house is right next to another is not ideal for me. I would like to be no more than an hour away from a good health food store, hospital, and vet clinic.

I thought Colorado sounded perfect at first, but now I'm reading that it can be expensive to live there, that there are some crazy water laws that I have never heard of before and having a garden is almost impossible, that fracking is (or will be) an issue, etc.

I have never traveled to Colorado yet mainly because for the last few years I have been taking care of my pets that were older and required extra care from me, and leaving them with someone even for a week was not an option.

Right now I don't have anything holding me back here, and I just feel like I have been staying in a place that I am not happy in for way too long.

Is Colorado the place for me though?

Is it really expensive to live there?

Being from NJ I feel that not many places can be as expensive as this state.

What are the water issues all about?

Should I just look at another state maybe?

I do plan on visiting first any state I plan to move to, but visiting is not the same as living there so I am hoping people that have or do live there can give me some guidance.
Do a little research on North Western Arkansas and West-Central Arkansas (the least populated). Say from the Mena (Ouachita Mtns) area up to Fayetteville (Ozark Mtns). Good luck.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:15 AM

3,125 posts, read 5,047,057 times
Quote:
There is abundant recreation, but do you really see yourself hiking EVERY week? I wanted to be a snowboarder, until I saw the price tag of that sport.
I got a kick out of this post. Yes, people do hike every weekend if they are hiker. People bike every weekend either road or mountain if they are a biker, kayak every weekend if that is their thing, 4-wheel every weekend, runners run every weekend, skiers ski every weekend etc. depending on their favorite sport. That is why sometimes we get the posts from people who move here and then find everyone is so engaged in their outdoor sport that they don't fit in.

When I was a hiker I not only hiked every weekend on both Sat. and Sun. (getting out there at 6 a.m. to beat the heat) but would also dash out mid week after work and hike until it got dark in the summer. When I trained for a triathlon I road my bike after work, on the weekend and swam after work and on the weekend as well ran after work and on the weekend. If your active you do something every single day.

The reason CO attractive to so many people who love to be active is that they don't have to be gym rats. They can get their exercise fix outdoors, hiking, biking, running, skiing etc... practically every single day (there is usually a handful of days every winter that are just too cold but they seldom exceed the number you can count on your two hands). Even today when I am too injured to do the super active sports I still get out every single day to get some exercise.

The fact that you are here and not doing it means you probably aren't the type. But there are many others who are and CO is the perfect spot for them.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:10 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,333,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
I got a kick out of this post. Yes, people do hike every weekend if they are hiker. People bike every weekend either road or mountain if they are a biker, kayak every weekend if that is their thing, 4-wheel every weekend, runners run every weekend, skiers ski every weekend etc. depending on their favorite sport. That is why sometimes we get the posts from people who move here and then find everyone is so engaged in their outdoor sport that they don't fit in.

When I was a hiker I not only hiked every weekend on both Sat. and Sun. (getting out there at 6 a.m. to beat the heat) but would also dash out mid week after work and hike until it got dark in the summer. When I trained for a triathlon I road my bike after work, on the weekend and swam after work and on the weekend as well ran after work and on the weekend. If your active you do something every single day.

The reason CO attractive to so many people who love to be active is that they don't have to be gym rats. They can get their exercise fix outdoors, hiking, biking, running, skiing etc... practically every single day (there is usually a handful of days every winter that are just too cold but they seldom exceed the number you can count on your two hands). Even today when I am too injured to do the super active sports I still get out every single day to get some exercise.

The fact that you are here and not doing it means you probably aren't the type. But there are many others who are and CO is the perfect spot for them.
The people doing that stuff must be rich then. The majority of people can't afford those activities every weekend.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:19 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
Colorado I heard is an easy place to get a job in health care thou, is that true.. at least the Denver metro?

Old 10-24-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Colorado I heard is an easy place to get a job in health care thou, is that true.. at least the Denver metro?
I work as a medical coder. There is indeed a thriving market for that here. Most of the jobs I applied for I received interviews for.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:20 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,096,821 times
My wife (medical professional) applied for 7 jobs, got 4 interviews, and they resulted in 3 job offers. The only interview that didn't result in an offer was the one where she ended the interview after a few minutes when it became clear the hospital could not live up to her standards. (It was a fairly poorly ran hospital). I would say the market for medical work is fairly good here.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:36 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
My wife (medical professional) applied for 7 jobs, got 4 interviews, and they resulted in 3 job offers. The only interview that didn't result in an offer was the one where she ended the interview after a few minutes when it became clear the hospital could not live up to her standards. (It was a fairly poorly ran hospital). I would say the market for medical work is fairly good here.
Sweet thanks I will look into it.. Denver is on my list of top cities to move to with Nashville and Austin, TX

Old 10-26-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Sweet thanks I will look into it.. Denver is on my list of top cities to move to with Nashville and Austin, TX
Keep in mind the cost of living in this city. If the job you find isn't willing to pay you at LEAST $50,000 a year then you will struggle a lot with living in Denver. Take it from someone who got scammed out of pay moving here and now I'm living on friends couches.

And $50,000 is the absolute bear minimum for survival. We are talking a tiny, uncomfortable apartment you will be able to afford. Don't get your hopes up on having your own bathroom either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado