Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2014, 07:24 AM

206 posts, read 483,553 times

Advertisements

Curious how many non-permanent CO residents (on this board) have vacation homes or take regular vacations here? I'd love to have the 2nd home here, but am curious how others before me have done this. If you love the mtns do you spring for a place where you love but might not have all the comforts (shopping, restaurants, medical facilities) of the big city? Or do you find a home base in Denver and take the 1-2 hr trek to the location(s) of your desire when you visit. Or do you 'save' the money and just come visit as much as possible camping / staying at rentals?

Just looking for some experienced words of wisdom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 08:34 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I visit every year. I bought and sold property in SW Colorado twice now with the daydream of spending summers there instead of the humid East. I don't see it as a place for me to grow old/older (more car dependent, no history there) but keep fighting with my draw to the big mountains. I know there's more to daily life than a view and low humidity, but. But.

I would happily have a summer home in SW Colorado (and saw a mobile with a great view that I could easily afford) but my home base is 2,000 miles away and I'd have to work more, not less. to have a second home. Then there's the issue of maintaining a second home (from far away) and how about a car, and what about pets. I have long believed that it makes much more sense to rent for vacation/daydreams and if you cost it out, it will likely be much more sensible to rent than to buy somewhere, especially in advanced age.
But.
Can't seem to let it go, either. As much as New England makes sense for me in daily life (and the option of making decent money part-time in retirement) and having my dream house in the East and pets and and, I cannot seem to let go of the white-capped peaks.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:18 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calien View Post
Curious how many non-permanent CO residents (on this board) have vacation homes or take regular vacations here? I'd love to have the 2nd home here, but am curious how others before me have done this. If you love the mtns do you spring for a place where you love but might not have all the comforts (shopping, restaurants, medical facilities) of the big city? Or do you find a home base in Denver and take the 1-2 hr trek to the location(s) of your desire when you visit. Or do you 'save' the money and just come visit as much as possible camping / staying at rentals?

Just looking for some experienced words of wisdom.
The call on the "buy vs rent" decision hinges on how much a 2nd home would be used. In parts of COLO many vacant 2nd homes are subject to break-ins and vandalism. My opinion is that if a place is not used all that often it is better to keep money in the stock market where one can get in/out quickly and not depend on a housing market that is often difficult to exit and fraught with surprises (oops! the well pump died). Many in these forums suggest visiting resorts and/or renting places in different areas of Colorado to get a variety of experiences before deciding on an area to buy into....you may not even like it, or suffer altitude sickness.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-03-2014, 04:35 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
I keep 2nd home in various parts of USA including colorado.

As a cost neutral solution, Get a place with a guest home for you, and rent out the 'big-house' to someone who maintains and watches the whole place.

I prefer places on acreage with a shop and apartment for me and a few extra RV sites for friends.

Do comply with your local zoning, and plan to restrict your stays and keep your neighbors happy (Bring them salmon and fresh berries).

I grew up near Estes Park, so more 2nd homes than primary (Then). Can rent your place out through a management agency, for 30-50% fee. or you can rent fulltime for about 50% less and no fee (then you have no place to stay).

Generally... it is far better to invest your capital in something that spins off enough extra cash to fund your vacation rentals wherever you feel like. Something like a triple net Commercial property with a national tenant (Subway franchise or similar).

Old 08-03-2014, 06:50 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,164,857 times
My advice is to find a place that is within reasonable driving distance, so you don't have to fly there from your home base. ADT signs and stickers (or actually getting a security system) may discourage breakins. Find a neighbor to keep an eye on your place for a small fee. Wireless IP cameras (Foscam makes some nice reasonably priced ones) are easy and a great tool for keeping an eye on things remotely.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:48 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Generally speaking, second homes are both an environmental scourge and a money pit when built in the Colorado mountains. Of course, most non-permanent residents don't give a crap about the former (but they should), but the money pit part should really get their attention. As several noted, it's much more financially prudent to just rent (by day, week, month, or season) where one wants to vacation. Moreover, one is not tied to just one place to visit. Most people, when they own a second home, feel some obligation to spend most of their vacations there. It's a lot more fun to be able to go other places, and a lot easier when one isn't tied to a second home. Maintaining two residences far apart is no fun--I've had to do it a couple of times when I was trying to sell a residence that I still owned in one locale from whence I had relocated to another. I hope that I never have to do that again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado