Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 09:22 AM

15 posts, read 22,505 times

Advertisements

... are those who prefer a motor-driven conveyance looked upon as cavemen and pollution emitters?

For example, an 'automobile' was invented as a much more convenient and cleaner way to get from point a to b back some 100 years ago or so.

More recently, advances in mathematics and metallurgy has enabled the creation of other vehicles such as the 'ATV' and 'Snow machine' - the latter intended for areas where there is higher than average snow fall - which of course is the direct result of the existence of 'conservatives' and naturally, the presidency of G. Papa DuB Bush. If only he'd caught that flying flop would he have realized the error of his ways! Dag, a wasted crisis.

Are there areas where these vehicles can be used without retribution from the local population? i understand 'tolerance' to be a cornerstone of the 'intellectual freedom' crowd. However, it is difficult to substantiate that claim in most scenarios where said crowd is actually called upon to invoke it.

I also saw several mentions of the encroachment of wildlife within urban environs. What are the limitations upon victims of this encroachment in protecting their property and possessions? Where I'm coming from, if i saw MY dog being attacked by mountain lion or fox or whatever, the gun comes out and ammo is expended. Of course all consideration is given to nearby population, but generally speaking, that's how it rolls. I'm guessing handguns require a permit but long guns do not?

I'm aware of the limitation on guns as a licensed producer of MMJ/RMJ. That's not a huge concern as I've no plans to be involved in that industry.

Lots of good info in these posts. Just gotta watch the post date. I look forward to much exploration on gas-fed machines, but they don't get much attention. Was concerned that maybe they were banned or something.

Thanks everyone/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 10:24 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernLeaving View Post
... are those who prefer a motor-driven conveyance looked upon as cavemen and pollution emitters?...
You will get a variety of opinions here; to some you are the devil for all sorts of reasons, but most people are cool with it. I see tons of ATVs here along the I-25 corridor, along with jet skis. We don't get much snow along this corridor and I don't recall ever seeing a snowmobile or other snow machine here BUT a lot of folks go up into the high country during snow season and rent the use of snowmobiles which is a wise way to use money. If one lives up there in a remote area then buying such machines makes financial sense. YMMV
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:51 AM

Ah yes, Jet-Skis too. Ok good. I was beginning to think the whole place was anti-progress, anti-population, anti-modernism, and generally militant vegan.

Does anyone know the name of the restaurant that looks from the outside to be in a strip mall but inside is like 3 stories tall (or deep, with diving show) and decorated like a cave? I think it's in Denver and its been 20 years so my recollection is quite foggy.

Old 08-17-2014, 04:39 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,668,226 times
Where we live part time, there are more ATVs than people, it seems like. We do a lot of Jeeping, and we see a TON of ATVs And Jeeps on the 4-wheel drive roads. BLM land, National Forest land, they all have motorized vehicles. I never see bikes on the jeep trails. And a lot of those trails are marked for snowmobiling in the winter. So, "no" to your question -- a big over exaggeration.

Regarding shooting wildlife, don't try it in the city limits or in a populated area. We've already taken away their habitats; if they aren't attacking you why do you have to kill them? And if you live in an area with wildlife, keep your small animals inside and don't store their food outside. There are bears who come into our town, and we are told to properly store trash and leave them alone.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:00 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Quote:
...and generally militant vegan.

Does anyone know the name of the restaurant that looks from the outside to be in a strip mall but inside is like 3 stories tall (or deep, with diving show) and decorated like a cave? I think it's in Denver and its been 20 years so my recollection is quite foggy.
My nutrition coach tried to go vegan but she had to quit because she could not lose weight and developed a thyroid problem.

Casa Bonita. Lousy food. But there's a good Chicago dog place right across the street (Colfax) from there.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:41 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
You obviously are pretty ignorant about how things work in this region.

Motor vehicles. ATV's and 4WD's are common all across the Rockies, but if you use one irresponsibly or illegally on the public lands, you will be subject to arrest and prosecution. The penalties can range from fines all the way up to incarceration for particularly egregious offenses. The high elevation environments in Colorado and the Rockies can be severely damaged by irresponsible vehicle use. Tracks off of established and vehicle-permitted trails can take up to decades to heal. Forest Service approved spark arrestors are required on all ATV's, trail bikes, etc. operated on the public lands. If your ATV, etc. starts a wildfire you may be held financially responsible for ALL damages that it causes and ALL costs to extinguish it. Depending on the circumstances under which you started it, you may also be criminally prosecuted. Even among backcountry motoring enthusiasts, stupid-ass "yahoo" behavior of people driving 4WD's, ATV's, etc. is generally looked upon very poorly. Unfortunately, it takes very few of those type is misbehaving idiots to convince public land managers to close trails to all motor vehicle use--a trend that has accelerated all across the Rockies in the last couple of decades.

Shooting animals. Wildlife in Colorado is the property of the state. If you shoot wildlife illegally, you may be prosecuted for it. If your domestic animals attack or kill wildlife, you may be prosecuted for that. It's YOUR job to make sure that your domestic animals are not an attractive food source for wildlife.

Private landowners in the Rocky Mountain region are generally very intolerant of trespassers. Feigning ignorance ("I didn't know that I was on private land") doesn't cut much ice with most landowners and may not stop you from being successfully prosecuted for trespassing if they press charges.

Quote:
... are those who prefer a motor-driven conveyance looked upon as cavemen and pollution emitters?

For example, an 'automobile' was invented as a much more convenient and cleaner way to get from point a to b back some 100 years ago or so.

More recently, advances in mathematics and metallurgy has enabled the creation of other vehicles such as the 'ATV' and 'Snow machine' - the latter intended for areas where there is higher than average snow fall - which of course is the direct result of the existence of 'conservatives' and naturally, the presidency of G. Papa DuB Bush. If only he'd caught that flying flop would he have realized the error of his ways! Dag, a wasted crisis.

Are there areas where these vehicles can be used without retribution from the local population? i understand 'tolerance' to be a cornerstone of the 'intellectual freedom' crowd. However, it is difficult to substantiate that claim in most scenarios where said crowd is actually called upon to invoke it.

I also saw several mentions of the encroachment of wildlife within urban environs. What are the limitations upon victims of this encroachment in protecting their property and possessions? Where I'm coming from, if i saw MY dog being attacked by mountain lion or fox or whatever, the gun comes out and ammo is expended. Of course all consideration is given to nearby population, but generally speaking, that's how it rolls. I'm guessing handguns require a permit but long guns do not?

I'm aware of the limitation on guns as a licensed producer of MMJ/RMJ. That's not a huge concern as I've no plans to be involved in that industry.

Lots of good info in these posts. Just gotta watch the post date. I look forward to much exploration on gas-fed machines, but they don't get much attention. Was concerned that maybe they were banned or something.

Thanks everyone/

Old 08-18-2014, 11:32 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,004 times
Quote:
As Mike said, opinions vary, but if anything the opposite its true. I usually seek out non-motorized boating lakes (which are not that common among the places you can drive to) because otherwise I'm outnumbered 100 to 1 in my little canoe by those who prefer what I call PPPE (Petroleum Product Powered Entertainment).

That said, if I'm in an area where PPPE is allowed and those engaging in it are following local rules to a reasonable degree, I have no problem with it because I believe in shared usage. Same goes with 4-wheeling, snowmobiling, hunting, etc… Whatever your preferred activity, just be responsible, courteous and law-abiding about it, and if people still have a problem with it, oh well.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:46 PM

otterprods - Ok, that sounds reasonable. I dunno, I just get a vibe sometimes. Glad to know its generally 'normal', nothing completely weighted in one direction another.

McGowDog - Casa 'Boni'tha. Ahhhh yes. Yeah dont remember the food, but the it was the coolest place i'd eaten in a long time. Seen nothing like it since. Or maybe I don't get out enough. Wish I could have seen the outside in the daytime. It was just very unique.

Dreaming... - Good to know on the atvs. Hard to sift the chaff sometimes. I was referring to an animal attacking me or my family, wild or domestic. Would I need a permit to own and possess any gun? It's not about looking for something to shoot. My county boarders another that is more populated and they cannot shoot guns outside. Now bears tho. Don't have those around. Will have to get used to that.

Jazzlover: Thanks so much for replying. You spend alot of time here and share great information. Glad you picked up on my questions...that I posted...asking about your region.

Yes, I would consider myself ignorant of your region. So thanks in perpetuity for sharing more every time you take the time to respond. Most of what you list as different from my region isn't different. We have the same laws here, more strict in some places and less in others.

I'm not a yahoo behind the wheel. And I care not for same said types either.

But I might be between 35 and 50 and have had, and want again, a big dog. Please tell me I'm not blocked passage!

Old 08-18-2014, 10:22 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
I don't think the food is very good. I've had better tv dinners from the local gas station. But they do serve sopapillas... pretty hard to screw that up.

+5 for your handling of Jazz.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:22 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,099,388 times
Agreed. +5 on politely handling a post that started with anything but politeness. That was remarkable turn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: