Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 05:54 PM

3 posts, read 6,120 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! First I want to thank you all for reading my post. Even if you don't reply, it's kind of you to take time to read.

Now, as the title states, I am looking for an area that is most open minded in Colorado. I'll give you a bit of background as to why I am seeking this specifically.

I currently reside in NH, everything is expensive, jobs are few and far between, and people are generally cold and unwelcoming. Even to "their own people". I am married to a transgender woman, who has had a very rough time finding any form of help whatsoever, and there are literally no outlets for the LGBT community whatsoever here. People don't understand it, and for the most part, don't want to.

I had looked into several rentals and jobs in Colorado, all over, and had read a bit on the help and laws there protecting well, really everyone, not just the LGBT community, and I was rather impressed. It seems like such a different world than where I'm from.

Anyway, on to the task at hand! I am interested in a place that has the following:

*Night life
*LGBT resources
*Decent job market
*Easily accessible shopping districts. (Walking distance etc.)
*A place with tons to do

Currently I reside in a slow, boring, little, judgmental town. Commuting to do activities or work doesn't bother either of us.

I've had my eye on Denver for a little while, or maybe even the outskirts? I just need some direction as to where the best area for us would be. All responses are appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 06:00 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,059,481 times
Boulder

Old 08-24-2014, 07:06 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,454,174 times
I would have to say Denver only because its the largest city with the best night life although most larger cities are GLBT friendly.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:21 PM

Awww thank you guys! I am seriously considering Denver for sure. I did also think about Boulder. But I am leaning more towards Denver.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:20 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times
If you read through the threads here discussing diversity, you'll find that most people in Denver don't care if you are black, white, green, gay, straight, or whatever. As a straight white middle class female I can't address discrimination personally, but many people have posted here who are in mixed marriages and/or who are in a same-sex relationship, and they have all said that they have not experienced problems in the Denver area.

Obviously Denver is the place that will meet your other criteria, although how good the job market is will depend on what kind of job you are seeking.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:35 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,208,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormyJei View Post
Currently I reside in a slow, boring, little, judgmental town
I think you meant to ask which area is more liberal. Open minded and Liberal are often not the same thing, as you have demonstrated. Denver or Boulder.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:57 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,191,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
Boulder
Yes, please.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:25 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
Denver or Boulder.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:15 AM

Thank you everyone for the input! I'll have to reply to everyone after I wake up, but it is really seeming like Denver is the place for us! Thank you!!!

Old 08-25-2014, 12:40 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,369,579 times
What kind of job is OP and spouse looking for? But I do agree that Boulder/Denver are really the only likely spots.

I thought New Hampshire was a "live and let live/live free or die" kinda place. How about the Boston/J.P. area instead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado