Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 12:28 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Colorado has very serious long-term festering fiscal issues that are very negatively affecting education--primary, secondary, and higher education. I would not raise kids in Colorado for that reason alone. Teachers will get slapped on the other end, eventually, too. Colorado already lags numerous other states in teacher pay--expect that to get worse.
You're not entirely incorrect, but you're sort of like a retired street cop who sees the whole world like the nasty innards of a toilet bowl because that's the world he lived in each day for 30+ years. It's important to see the big picture, as unpleasant as it may be, and for that your posts are often valuable. But in the end it's best to get to know your local schools and teachers and go by what you see rather than just being cynical.

Last edited by otterprods; 09-03-2014 at 12:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 01:09 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
You're not entirely incorrect, but you're sort of like a retired street cop who sees the whole world like the nasty innards of a toilet bowl because that's the world he lived in each day for 30+ years. It's important to see the big picture, as unpleasant as it may be, and for that your posts are often valuable. But in the end it's best to get to know your local schools and teachers and go by what you see rather than just being cynical.
Thanks, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that while there might have been some valid concerns in there for the future of Colorado, the doomsday, end-of-the-world approach to it was a little exaggerated.

And to dismiss everyone who thinks positively of Colorado as people with a large disposable income who are detached from the realities of "working" life with a family to support is very unfair and not necessarily true. I doubt any of this is that black and white.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:14 PM

350 posts, read 848,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdblair5 View Post
Thanks for the heads up, I must admit, in my heart I do love the idea of little land and a small town, but I understand what you mean and with only 300 students in the district I don't see there being a high teacher turnover.

Actually, there are tons of teacher jobs out this way every year... social work/mental health jobs too. Both are very understaffed. There is high turnover as there are not enough "locals" to fill the positions, and the non-locals move in because its Colorado, then leave after a year because they aren't in a mountain valley or they got tired of driving to Denver every weekend because they don't know how to live in a small town.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:04 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
And to dismiss everyone who thinks positively of Colorado as people with a large disposable income who are detached from the realities of "working" life with a family to support is very unfair and not necessarily true.
I'm in the middle of my working years and raising 2 kids who have just started school and there's no place I'd rather be. (except maybe on some days when the wind is blowing red dust at like 50+ mph !) It may be quite different out in the truly rural parts of CO though, especially if you're dependent on local economy for work. (neither one applies to me)

Old 09-03-2014, 06:46 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohazco View Post
Actually, there are tons of teacher jobs out this way every year... social work/mental health jobs too. Both are very understaffed. There is high turnover as there are not enough "locals" to fill the positions, and the non-locals move in because its Colorado, then leave after a year because they aren't in a mountain valley or they got tired of driving to Denver every weekend because they don't know how to live in a small town.
Unfortunately, a lot of Colorado school districts have resorted to saving money by replacing retiring teachers with new, untenured teachers (many of whom from outside of Colorado who don't know they're being "gamed") who are then laid off before they can become tenured. Then another new teacher is hired and the process starts again. I'm not in favor of tenure being utilized to protect incompetent teachers, but school districts using the lack of tenure to get rid of young teachers before they can get tenured isn't right either. Of course, a lot of those younger teachers also figure out that Colorado's often substandard pay doesn't square with the often high living costs (especially in the resort areas) and leave on their own accord to work in states where living costs are lower and teacher pay is higher.

As to the comment about "doom and gloom," all I can say is that Colorado's festering fiscal mess looks far more serious when you are knowledgeable about the fiscal process from the inside (as I am) and, thus, can more readily see just how bad it is. And, the last thing that the politicians and the Chamber of Commerce folks want to do is to acknowledge to anyone just how screwed up it is, so they are willing to do most anything to try to cover up the mess--and the public, continually in denial about the long-term economic mess the entire country is mired in, is more than willing to buy into the deceit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado