Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2014, 09:54 PM

24 posts, read 39,755 times

Advertisements

I was told that I will get next to nothing for my 2wd Xterra in Colorado, is this true? I was thinking about maybe selling it once I get there since there is loads more 4x4's than here (Houston). However, I can not sale it here and move because i would have no way to bring my belongings with me. Would love to keep my SUV, but I have heard I will regret having a rear wheel drive 4x2 if I want to go anywhere other than work. I looked at prices on Craigslist for various cars like frontiers, 4runners, xterra's, and they all seem pretty high compared to prices here. Are cars just more expensive in Colorado compared to Texas or other states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 10:36 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,123,489 times
Nobody buys 2WD SUVs in Colorado. In fact no dealer I know even stocks them. You will get next to nothing for it.

You could sell trade in your 2WD SUV for a 4WD SUV in Houston and then make the move.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:49 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
A 2WD Xterra would be next to worthless in Colorado. No, new cars are generally no more expensive to buy in Colorado, though Colorado's state and local sales taxes can be breathtaking, depending on where one resides in the state. Colorado vehicle registration fees are also high--especially on new 4WDs' because Colorado registration fees are based on the value, age and weight of the vehicle. New, expensive, and heavy means registration fees that can easily exceed $500 per year for several years.

Used 4WD's always sell at premium prices in the Rocky Mountain West, especially if they are low mileage (which, these days, means anything under 100K miles) and are in good condition.

Old 09-07-2014, 02:03 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,621,554 times
1000s of people still drive 2WDs in Colorado just fine. Bring your Xterra, see how condtions are for you and your driving skill level. Maybe get and carry a set of tire chains if you get caught at work in a blizzard. Trade off the Xterra later when you need to otherwise.

Unless you are going to live 5 miles up a goat trail in the mountains, or plan on mud-boging and stump-jumping every weekend, the need for 4WD/AWD is overblown.

I drove a S-10 Blazer & an S-15 Jimmy for over 25 years in CO, and rarely used the 4WD, except on goat trails or in blizzards that I probably should not have been on the road anyway.

Also, in those years when commuting in a storm, 4 out of 5 cars that "slid into the ditch" were 4WDs ;-) 4WD is no "magic bullet".

Old 09-07-2014, 10:23 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,099,388 times
My pickup doesn't have 4wd. I have never had an issue commuting within Colorado Springs. However, I would not choose to go up to Woodland park while it was snowing.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:17 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
If you plan to get 4wd... get it in TX and bring it with you.

TX has a very affordable used market, and you will be best to unload a 2wd there or in SE USA.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:27 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
If you plan to get 4wd... get it in TX and bring it with you.

TX has a very affordable used market, and you will be best to unload a 2wd there or in SE USA.
I agree with this, but would point out that sometimes finding a 4wd SUV can be hard in Texas.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:02 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,938,481 times
2WDs definitely sell for less in the state, but I agree with some of the other posters that unless you live way up in the mountains or frequently go on rough trails, the need may be a little overblown. For off-road and especially winter conditions I would say that good tires make the biggest difference, and that good ground clearance is helpful as well. I've rarely had to engage 4wd on my Pathfinder, but it has been reassuring to have it when things have gotten rough. The main driving tip I can pass along is that when conditions deteriorate, take it slow. If you're moving to the Front Range, for the most part you should be fine....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado