Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 07:19 AM

11 posts, read 15,842 times

Advertisements

Greetings we are in need of some information, looking to relocate and Colorado has always been the #1 on my list to move to!!! I have also looked into other states but I keep coming back to Colorado but needing some locals advise on where to start looking..... Schools are #1 on my list I have all age ranges, safety, looking for a small quaint town with minimal people but not to far to commute to work and family activities. One big concern is living in the South most Old school folks shine down on people with tattoos and my fiance is a tattoo artist..... is it that way there? Any information on where to start my research would be very helpful, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 10:16 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
As has been noted in responses to innumerable other swarmy posts like this, the things that you seek are essentially mutually exclusive in Colorado. You will have to decide which one or two of those desires are the most important--you may get those, but you'll likely have to forget the rest.

Public education is on a permanent downward trend in Colorado, due to both demographics and the state's constitutionally mandated straight jacket on public finance. I would not raise children in Colorado now for that very reason. So, if education is your #1 priority, look someplace else.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:38 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
There are good school districts in the I-25 corridor from Colorado Springs to Fort Collins, save a few exceptions. Plenty of tattoo parlors in the region. You will not get a small town that is a short distance to work sites, you'll either be in a small town an hour or more from major areas or you'll be in a major area.

Start by telling us your type of work and housing budget, with that we can give you enough to start looking. The vast majority of people live in the Denver metro area and along the I-25 corridor mentioned above, plus the Grand Junction area on the western side of the state. If nothing else, look at the job listings in craigslist for an idea on the job market; Denver seems to be adding jobs but not sure your type of work.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
There are good school districts in the I-25 corridor from Colorado Springs to Fort Collins, save a few exceptions. Plenty of tattoo parlors in the region. You will not get a small town that is a short distance to work sites, you'll either be in a small town an hour or more from major areas or you'll be in a major area.

Start by telling us your type of work and housing budget, with that we can give you enough to start looking. The vast majority of people live in the Denver metro area and along the I-25 corridor mentioned above, plus the Grand Junction area on the western side of the state. If nothing else, look at the job listings in craigslist for an idea on the job market; Denver seems to be adding jobs but not sure your type of work.
We are wanting to rent for awhile looking for at least a 4 bedroom looking for under $1200 a month, my work well I'm going to school for medical assistant and working from that and I'm sure he won't have a issue finding a job in his field plus he wants to go to school for barbering and business, so he can open his own shop in the future

Old 10-28-2014, 01:09 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
There are good school districts in the I-25 corridor from Colorado Springs to Fort Collins, save a few exceptions.
People can continue to act like they are the Chamber of Commerce and gloss over Colorado's fiscal problems in education, but, since I used to be involved in public finance in Colorado and I understand the harsh realities of Colorado's long-term fiscal mess, I refuse to go down that road. Colorado public education is in serious long-term fiscal trouble--and, face it, having a kid in the public education system for 12 or more years IS a long-term commitment. I'm always amused that the people who constantly pimp Colorado the most vigorously are retirees from someplace else that don't have--and likely never had--any kid or family member in the Colorado public education system (not even themselves as a child) and/or have no familiarity with the Colorado public education system other than what they hear about it from somebody else.

However good any public school is in Colorado--some are good and some aren't--their fiscal situation over the long term will assure that their quality will decline over time. Too bad--Colorado used to have a pretty good education system. Colorado, though, is now going down the same road as California--a largely declining public education system that will get bad enough to discourage business investment in the state, and that will affect everybody living there, even the people who refuse to acknowledge the problem and who don't think that poor public education will affect them.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:20 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_stacy13 View Post
We are wanting to rent for awhile looking for at least a 4 bedroom looking for under $1200 a month, my work well I'm going to school for medical assistant and working from that and I'm sure he won't have a issue finding a job in his field plus he wants to go to school for barbering and business, so he can open his own shop in the future
Look in Colorado Springs for a 4BR for that price, might be doable. Use ppar.com for rentals.

Here's one in my favorite area with an excellent school district (D20).
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:37 PM

Thank you very much will continue my research

Old 10-28-2014, 04:26 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,004 times
You can talk to Jazz, who I think raised kids in CO about 150 years ago. There is value in that. And you can also talk to people who are raising their kids there now (such as myself). For us, the schools have been very good overall, but far from perfect. Of course there are budget constraints so if you are hoping for the schools to do all the work you should probably adjust your expectations.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:06 AM

I went to great schools and pulled the ratings up and some of them rank very high which where I'm coming from is a huge difference plus they have quite a few charter schools which is ideal for our kids!

Old 10-29-2014, 11:59 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
Jazz certainly knows a lot of people, including past and present teachers in the system. I think that's a decent source of information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado