Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 02:15 PM

303 posts, read 1,560,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
That wasn't hard to guess. I really hate driving in Boulder b/c of the bicyclists. They come out of nowhere, ride the wrong way, don't wear helmets, etc.
Yes, I was actually being sarcastic but was using quick reply and couldn't remember the smilie I wanted I'm mostly a pedestrian, so my bicycle encounters threaten my life as well as the bicyclists'...

Quote:
Sinus infections are caused by bacteria, not dry air. Sorry for your misery, though.
I usually just get mild but persistant headaches, which correlate inversely with the relative humidity. I was under the impression that dry conditions can make your sinuses more susceptible to infection.

I've given up on finding decent thai within a half hour of Boulder, but I'm on a mission to scope out all of the pho joints in Broomfield. There are probably better asian restaurants in Denver, but I prefer not to drive all the way down there. Not a fan of mexican cuisine.

Haven't been to Denver Fabrics since their remodel - a long drive from here, it was easier to order online. I've heard that the remodel wasn't an improvement....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 05:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
I was under the impression that dry conditions can make your sinuses more susceptible to infection.
Perhaps, but I haven't heard that. The cause is bacteria, though.

Quote:
Haven't been to Denver Fabrics since their remodel - a long drive from here, it was easier to order
I haven't been there for a while either. As I said, you have to go with a plan to buy tons of fabric if you're going that far.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:23 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,797,363 times
The mountains
Fresh air
Low cost of living
Some friendly people

My ex and I lived there several yrs ago. We were going to pay a 4 bdroom home for the high $200. Then we were stationed to DC. We found a realtor and I showed her what we were looking at in C. Springs. She said, that home is worth $500-600 here. Oh!!

Old 01-21-2008, 03:59 AM

202 posts, read 352,878 times
Default Native Coloradan...No longer...

It's funny...I haven't felt like I've belonged here except for maybe when I was a kid in elementary school and my years at CU-Boulder getting a B.A....Since then...and it's been 12 years and my parents and brother and his family are still here...I haven't felt like I've belonged here at all...and then I read all these posts and it just reaffirms that belief because it seems like the majority here are caucasian/white...hate Mexicans...regardless of whether they are illegal or legal....have never studied, much less learned, a second language in their life....probably haven't ever been out of the US...and on and on it goes....if this fits your profile or if this does:
- very concerned with looking like Barbie and Ken
- want to have the biggest house on the block...regardless of how large or small the plot of land is...
- are anorexic or at least have some kind of borderline eating disorder
- are relocating from Southern Cali
- are from a middle - class to upper socio-economic background
etc...etc...
Then Colorado is the place for YOU! For me, it's not. But each to their own and different strokes for different folks...all I know, and have been reaffirming through the positive posts on this website...I DO NOT BELONG HERE...So LONG and ADIOS as I moving in a few days...Thank GOD for that!!!!

By the way, I quote a former poster, because I think this person is either daily tripping on acid or in some other kind of unexplainable bubble of reality because this is the opposite of how I see Denver....but whatever, man...and I can, and will, give specific examples, on request because this post is already too wordy and who knows who'll even read it anyways...

Quote:
"What I like about Colorado is that all of us, all ethnic groups get along so well. There is not the tension between blacks and whites, as it is in many cities, I have lived. There are not the distinct neighborhood boundaries between groups that make you uneasy and fearful if you find yourself there. Colorado never had a history of severe racism and consequently severe hate never developed. Colorado in many ways epitomized the Western Philosophy of caring more about if you can do the job, not where you came from, the color of your skin, or your past."

Last edited by m92tiger; 01-21-2008 at 04:08 AM..

Old 01-21-2008, 07:46 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m92tiger View Post
It's funny...I haven't felt like I've belonged here except for maybe when I was a kid in elementary school and my years at CU-Boulder getting a B.A....Since then...and it's been 12 years and my parents and brother and his family are still here...I haven't felt like I've belonged here at all...and then I read all these posts and it just reaffirms that belief because it seems like the majority here are caucasian/white...hate Mexicans...regardless of whether they are illegal or legal....have never studied, much less learned, a second language in their life....probably haven't ever been out of the US...and on and on it goes....if this fits your profile or if this does:
- want to have the biggest house on the block...regardless of how large or small the plot of land is...
etc...etc...
Then Colorado is the place for YOU! For me, it's not. But each to their own and different strokes for different folks...all I know, and have been reaffirming through the positive posts on this website...I DO NOT BELONG HERE...So LONG and ADIOS as I moving in a few days...Thank GOD for that!!!!

By the way, I quote a former poster, because I think this person is either daily tripping on acid or in some other kind of unexplainable bubble of reality because this is the opposite of how I see Denver....but whatever, man...and I can, and will, give specific examples, on request because this post is already too wordy and who knows who'll even read it anyways...

Quote:
"What I like about Colorado is that all of us, all ethnic groups get along so well. There is not the tension between blacks and whites, as it is in many cities, I have lived. There are not the distinct neighborhood boundaries between groups that make you uneasy and fearful if you find yourself there. Colorado never had a history of severe racism and consequently severe hate never developed. Colorado in many ways epitomized the Western Philosophy of caring more about if you can do the job, not where you came from, the color of your skin, or your past."
I may be white, in shape and from California, but I certainly don't hate anyone based on race, have lived in Europe, traveled extensively, speak Spanish (took 6 years and have had a job that required daily use) and I'm not concerned about the size of my house. I don't know where you live, but your experience doesn't sound like mine. The city of Denver is quite diverse (almost 50% minority) and I love it.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:35 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m92tiger View Post
etc...etc...

Quote:
I am the one, who you quoted. My many posts have defined me and my reality; your few posts have defined your angst and hatred. I would say to you---Good Bye and Best Wishes; remember "No matter where you go--there you are."---you can never escape from yourself; when you understand that you will Livecontent.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:53 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,288,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I may be white, in shape and from California, but I certainly don't hate anyone based on race, have lived in Europe, traveled extensively, speak Spanish (took 6 years and have had a job that required daily use) and I'm not concerned about the size of my house. I don't know where you live, but your experience doesn't sound like mine. The city of Denver is quite diverse (almost 50% minority) and I love it.
actually, denver is not all that diverse. much less diverse than most larger cities in the US (many of which are more like 60 or 70 % "minority"; denver might be considered to be on the cusp of being a "larger city" in the US with a pop of almost 600,000 and a metro of pushing 3,000,000), and about as diverse as a few other cities in the US that are known to be not very diverse (most of which are rather smaller, and also mid-/mountainwestern, with a few exceptions, it appears). many of the suburbs of denver are quite homogeneous, too (which can tend to happen in suburbs, and when a region is especially suburban, it can become especially partitioned). and the "minority" in denver is basically another "majority", i.e., there are two large majorities in denver that don't necessarily mix much, with a few other pockets of the other quite small true minority groups. i don't see that there is much hatred or strife between these groups, though i just don't see much interaction between them beyond some of the infuences in cuisine, for example. denver CAN feel diverse for those that venture out of their worlds. i would suspect there are many in the region that do not often venture beyond their worlds. either way, it can be a pleasant place for many people.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
i would suspect there are many in the region that do not often venture beyond their worlds.
The above can be said of just about anywhere. There are many cities much more segregated than Denver. Chicago and Milwaukee are supposedly among the most segregated in the country. Milwaukee fits your description of smaller, midwestern. Chicago, however, though located in the midwest, is a world class city and is huge (something like 9 million people metro).

Old 01-21-2008, 11:39 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,288,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
The above can be said of just about anywhere. There are many cities much more segregated than Denver. Chicago and Milwaukee are supposedly among the most segregated in the country. Milwaukee fits your description of smaller, midwestern. Chicago, however, though located in the midwest, is a world class city and is huge (something like 9 million people metro).
more so about some places than others, no? "culture" and i never say there aren't exceptions to some of these very significant trends. it's a little like "most bengal tigers are orange and black and white"... "well, there ARE some white bengal tigers". or "downstate new yorkers can tend to be more direct than denverites"... "well, i knew a new yorker that was quite shy and reserved, and once i met a real hippy from westchester". can't you say the "culture" of, say, birmingham alabama might be considered to be different from that in , say, the ukrain, or quebec? there are plenty of shades of this and that in there, none is necessarily "better", but there are "differences" that might work well for some people, maybe not so much for others, no?

i understand that denver is not a terrible place, not THE single most segregated, most caucasian place on earth. for a city it's size and stature, it can be ONE OF the LESS diverse seeming places in america. for a city it's size and stature. and some of the dynamics special to denver (and, yes, a few other cities "like it" - there are many, many cities in this world) between it and some of it's suburbs and history can make it seem more so.

denver also has, in my view, a wonderful latino population (and a few other minority groups that i, for one, love to see) and some great influences by this. there are probably many people in suburbs x, y, z, 1, 2, and 3, as well as large neighborhoods m, n, o, and p within denver proper that can be especially (not exclusively) isolated from much of that, perhaps even wary of it (though, in what i can tell, not really very contentious over it). perhaps relatively more so than many other suburbas in this country. say, queens as a burb of manhattan (i know, they're "burroughs", but hey, we're looking at so many shades of these things now...).

census numbers show these things. experience shows these things. my own point is not that THERE ARE HARD AND FAST RULES AND SINGLE CATEGORIES, but that there are relative trends that some people will likely pick up on, and some stats out there basically support.

Last edited by hello-world; 01-21-2008 at 11:54 AM..

Old 01-21-2008, 11:52 AM

OK, OK, I guess we just disagree on that. I thought I would present another point of view. Maybe it's my work in health care, where, as I have said, there is a diverse staff and diverse patients, even in Louisville.

My main point was about people not getting out of their own little worlds. That happens everywhere. You would think in Chicago, which is not so isolated as Denver, that people would be more traveled, but not so. My DD met people in college in that area who had never crossed the Mississippi River, less than 150 miles away. This was among college students, last year! I do think that Denverites look west more than east. I was just talking to a friend about this the other day. So many people who have taken their kids to Disneyland, Disneyworld, Mexico, etc, have never taken them to Washington DC. When I was a kid growing up in Pittsburgh that was a favorite vacation destination. And yeah, there are lots of suburbanites who are afraid of the city. That happens everywhere, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado